Bristol City convinced they can upset Sheffield Wednesday

Bristol City vs Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

CITY CAN DISRUPT OWLS' RUN - JOHNSON

City head coach Lee Johnson says his side are more than capable of ending Sheffield Wednesday's unbeaten run.

Unbeaten in their last three outings, the Owls host Johnson's side on Saturday (3pm kick-off) as the Sky Bet Championship returns following November's international fixtures.

Speaking to Bristol City TV, Johnson discussed the strength in depth of both teams, the Hillsborough atmosphere and the chance to add more points to the Robins' league tally.

He said: "I think it [the international break] treated us all well. It has been a tough period - mentally and physically - for everybody, so to get three or four days away from being in each other's pockets was good.

"The first day of training on Monday I thought we looked a bit sloppy and we had to liven the players up a bit on Tuesday and Wednesday and those sessions have been good.

"They [Sheffield Wednesday] are a good side. They have a big resource for the division, they've got players who are very experienced and have quality all over the pitch.

"You look at the likes of [Jordan] Rhodes, [Barry] Bannon and they've spent a lot of money. They have [Gary] Hooper up front and they have a lot of options with [Ross] Wallace wide and midfielders in abundance.

"They are a good side and we know we will have to be at our best but we are in a good place.

"We're a little under the weather as far as a full-strength squad is concerned but we feel the younger players are getting better all of the time. Our bench is now very youthful. Before it was experience and now it's youthful but that's fine.

"Our first 18 are still strong and if we go there and give it our best then it gives us every chance of getting a result."

Owlstalk Shop

HISTORIC HILLSBOROUGH

Johnson added: "I think the players have to prepare for the environment. 

"Hillsborough is a great ground to play - a big, old fashioned stadium. It's a good place to play and it can make you feel like you are more under the cosh than you actually are.

"I played there a couple of times myself and thought 'we are under pressure here' but when you watch the video back you think 'actually it wasn't as much pressure as you perceived at the time', so we have to make sure that we understand that.

"They've lost only once this year (at home) in the derby against Sheffield United, so it's going to be a big task and if we can get a result, particularly a win, it will be a fantastic achievement for the players.

"The dream is to extend the unbeaten run, that's what we want to do. Obviously it's a short-term goal to get as many points as you can.

"I believe we have a side that can disrupt a good Sheffield Wednesday team but it will be pretty close I would have thought, if I was looking at it on paper, but of course the game is not played on paper.

"It's played in different environments and we are looking to extend our unbeaten run, that's for sure and we just play in the moment. We do everything we can to win every inch and win the battle."

INJURIES AND SUSPENSIONS

City's head coach reported "a few niggles in the camp" ahead of travelling up to Sheffield today (Friday) in preparation for the match.

Jamie Paterson is back from a hamstring injury, while Nathan Baker has now fully shaken off his knee injury.

Bailey Wright will serve the second of two-game suspension, imposed by The FA for "the successful deception of a match official".

Owlstalk Shop

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Bristol City vs Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

CITY CAN DISRUPT OWLS' RUN - JOHNSON

City head coach Lee Johnson says his side are more than capable of ending Sheffield Wednesday's unbeaten run.

Unbeaten in their last three outings, the Owls host Johnson's side on Saturday (3pm kick-off) as the Sky Bet Championship returns following November's international fixtures.

Speaking to Bristol City TV, Johnson discussed the strength in depth of both teams, the Hillsborough atmosphere and the chance to add more points to the Robins' league tally.

He said: "I think it [the international break] treated us all well. It has been a tough period - mentally and physically - for everybody, so to get three or four days away from being in each other's pockets was good.

"The first day of training on Monday I thought we looked a bit sloppy and we had to liven the players up a bit on Tuesday and Wednesday and those sessions have been good.

"They [Sheffield Wednesday] are a good side. They have a big resource for the

"You look at the likes of [Jordan] Rhodes, [Barry] Bannon and they've spent a lot of money. They have [Gary] Hooper up front and they have a lot of options with [Ross] Wallace wide and midfielders in abundance.

"They are a good side and we know we will have to be at our best but we are in a good place.

"We're a little under the weather as far as a full-strength squad is concerned but we feel the younger players are getting better all of the time. Our bench is now very youthful. Before it was experience and now it's youthful but that's fine.

"Our first 18 are still strong and if we go there and give it our best then it gives us every chance of getting a result."

See bold, looks like little Lee Johnson doesn’t realise our Barry was signed on a free...

I have a lot of respect for Lee Johnson.

Always comes across very well in tv interviews, and is very articulate. 

Has shown his ability as a manager and may well go on to much bigger things.

But it's 3 points for the resurgent 

Sheffield Wednesday,  tomorrow.

We're on our way, to the Premier League. 

His remarks about Barry indicates to me that he's at the forefront of his match preparation, we could see a couple of nasty tackles going in on him, and try to mark him out of the game, as for Rhodes I don't think that they can do much about him. 

Effort and focus and we'll have a good chance to beat them, they're higher placed but they're underdogs at S6, BC have struck me a bit as Pigs in how a "poor" squad can actually make an upset because they're all giving it all and playing for each other. Plus we need to lock down Reid and Taylor; they get space they'll score some flukes regardless of how bobbar the rest of their team may be on the day and it's goals that win the match...

1 hour ago, Lombado said:

"the successful deception of a match official"

This happens several times in most games...I guess this one was for a dive to gain a penalty...

If you're referring to Bailey Wright getting suspended for 'deception'. He got shoved in the chest by Fulham player, went down like sack of spuds,rolled around clutching his face........he's not even a Latino ffs......he's an Aussie.

The Fulham player got a straight red, later rescinded and Wright got a two match suspension - quite rightly so.

Wright is the club captain and should have known better.

1 minute ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

And our fans don’t realise that many of our ‘frees’ would be unobtainable for most other clubs because of their wages.

I'd rather give it to the player, if he is a good'un, than give a chunk of money to the other club so they can strenghten their team....

Pre-match press conferences, I wonder if a manager has ever just said 'We have no chance going there with the players we have, we'll just try and reduce the damage and get a 0-0'. Even non-league teams going to Old Trafford in the FA Cup say they are going there to compete and get a result.

Not watched one second of Bristol so not going to claim they are good, but their league position suggests a tough game. Sat at home thinking logically it will be tough to get 3 points. At the game I'll suddenly change and predict a 3-0 win.

come on Wednesday!

13 minutes ago, tarn owl said:

Pre-match press conferences, I wonder if a manager has ever just said 'We have no chance going there with the players we have, we'll just try and reduce the damage and get a 0-0'. Even non-league teams going to Old Trafford in the FA Cup say they are going there to compete and get a result.

Not watched one second of Bristol so not going to claim they are good, but their league position suggests a tough game. Sat at home thinking logically it will be tough to get 3 points. At the game I'll suddenly change and predict a 3-0 win.

come on Wednesday!

I can remeber Gordon Strachan, when manager of Southampton about 2001, when being interviewed prior to playing away against Man U, who were flying at the time. He was asked what system he was going to play - he replied - "5 5 3 and hope nobody notices." Brilliant off the cuff remark.

3 hours ago, Lombado said:

"the successful deception of a match official"

This happens several times in most games...I guess this one was for a dive to gain a penalty...

Not very successful if he’s got a two-game ban for it. He’d have been more successful being unsuccessful and getting a yellow card.

Football is mental. lol