Jump to content
dunsbyowl

On This Day in 1929 : Sheffield Wednesday 7 Man Utd 2

Recommended Posts

Now that must have been a very fine day to be a Wednesday supporter - nice to see the First Lord of the Admiralty cheering on the lads! The Owls were 2nd in Division 1 and the  rain effected attendance was a mere 14,246 - not so hardy in 1929 ;-) .  Goals Allen 4, Rimmer 2 & Hooper 1.

 

 

5a0d259c5fa62_ManU16-11-29.jpeg.5b5610c0cd2cb70936f229126aa49a07.jpeg

 

16-11-19a.jpeg.bf62ef46a86cf80cc56caf1e759f9a75.jpeg

16-11-29b.jpeg.7df9671ae9972f7392cf212dc7c4d4c0.jpeg

5a0d25943913a_16-11-29c.jpeg.c896c041b93d04cd66f8ac34443aa9c0.jpeg

16-11-29d.jpeg.d4fdd82c3b4b5a1364b083bdd82e299b.jpeg

16-11-29e.jpeg.aa04d44d5d2421b6d642d0bf074e9c34.jpeg

 

16-11-29f.jpeg.7e41825b826fd978b5b7fa50cd4a123d.jpeg

16-11-29g.jpeg.ba9a076a1eaa80c26f9e099a4a73654b.jpeg

16-11-29h.jpeg.71005e465c3e47864c53523d6b8a55b6.jpeg

16-11-29i.jpeg.86524ac267020c793a8afd59309aac15.jpeg

 

 

Edited by dunsbyowl
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Brilliant article!

Didn't we beat 'em 7-2 at Old Trafford in a cup replay in the 60s aswell?

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks as always Dunsby , love that cartoon ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic Nostalgia , Thanks Dunsby 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what a great side that must have been , to win the league by 10 points is some achievement and  its not inconceivable to think that they could have been the best club side in the world.at that time .......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Pulsar said:

Brilliant article!

Didn't we beat 'em 7-2 at Old Trafford in a cup replay in the 60s aswell?

Yes we did

 

Might have been late 50's though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

Yes we did

 

Might have been late 50's though

Feb 1st 1961 after a 1-1 draw at Hillsborough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, torryowl said:

what a great side that must have been , to win the league by 10 points is some achievement and  its not inconceivable to think that they could have been the best club side in the world.at that time .......

Equivalent of 15 points in today's terms just to put it in proper perspective!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent article. Like the reporting - 'Hooper was full of beans and the crowd laughed heartily...' 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Feb 1st 1961 after a 1-1 draw at Hillsborough.

Cheers mate, I'm surprised by that, thought it was 58/59

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My old man always got on about those sides in the late '20s early 30's.

 

BUT, for younger fans :- 

FA Cup 4th Round  Jan 28, 1962 Man Utd 1 Sheff Wed 1      Attend. 58,000

             4th Replay Feb 1st 1962 Sheff Wed 7 (Seven) Man.Utd 2  Attend. 65,000.

 

the records say Home and Away, I thought it was the other way around  No matter, I can say to both I WAS THERE.

Incidentally, same season , Spurs won the league with 66 points, second came Wednesday with 58 equivalent to 81 points from 22 games.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome dunsby, thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buxtongent said:

My old man always got on about those sides in the late '20s early 30's.

 

BUT, for younger fans :- 

FA Cup 4th Round  Jan 28, 1962 Man Utd 1 Sheff Wed 1      Attend. 58,000

             4th Replay Feb 1st 1962 Sheff Wed 7 (Seven) Man.Utd 2  Attend. 65,000.

 

the records say Home and Away, I thought it was the other way around  No matter, I can say to both I WAS THERE.

Incidentally, same season , Spurs won the league with 66 points, second came Wednesday with 58 equivalent to 81 points from 22 games.

Used to go with 3 uncles who harked back , all the time...

You would say..."Bannister tho"..They would go "PFhhhhhhhhhhh Bannister....then roll off a litany of players you had never heard of....I learned to say "Fantham tho"...had some middle ground there..might get an "Aye..not so bad was Fantham.,.but he was no Dooley/Rimmer/whoeverthefook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic article.

Remember like it was yesterday going with my dad to Wednesday v Man U 31 August 1968 which we won 5-4. Jack Whitman got a hat trick, John Ritchie, got one and Nobby Stiles scored an own goal. United scorers were Best Law(2) & Charlton. Attendence 50,490.

Halcyon days!!

...UP THE OWLS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

Cheers mate, I'm surprised by that, thought it was 58/59

 

We were 2nd division champions in 1958-9.   We did beat Lincoln 7-0 that season, Grimsby 6-0, Sunderland 6-0, Barnsley 5-0, Rotherham 5-0.  So you could say it was a decent season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

 

We were 2nd division champions in 1958-9.   We did beat Lincoln 7-0 that season, Grimsby 6-0, Sunderland 6-0, Barnsley 5-0, Rotherham 5-0.  So you could say it was a decent season.

I was born October 58, I like to think Wednesday did it for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/11/2017 at 16:52, Wednesday Fan said:

Fantastic article.

Remember like it was yesterday going with my dad to Wednesday v Man U 31 August 1968 which we won 5-4. Jack Whitman got a hat trick, John Ritchie, got one and Nobby Stiles scored an own goal. United scorers were Best Law(2) & Charlton. Attendence 50,490.

Halcyon days!!

...UP THE OWLS

swvsmutd.thumb.jpg.123929c07fcc517c4ff781b65286cb1f.jpg

 

Here you go mate, just for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/11/2017 at 23:13, eugene said:

swvsmutd.thumb.jpg.123929c07fcc517c4ff781b65286cb1f.jpg

 

Here you go mate, just for you. 

Superb mate. Thanks a million!

ps... sorry about the misspelled ‘Whitman’ - Jack Whitham was a star for us and I believe we sold him to Liverpool. Thanks again eugene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...