Jump to content


tarn owl

Example of ticket pricing strategy

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, tarn owl said:

I was listening to the Football league podcast and they did a piece about Bradford city. They were talking about how they now get an average attendance of over 20,000. Their pricing is £20 a game and kids are £5 on the day regardless of which stand you sit in.

 

They have sold over 18,500 season tickets with season tickets costing £149 for early bird and £299 to buy after 30th April. They are encouraging people to get season tickets and trying to hit 20,000 season ticket holders. They have community schemes trying to encourage different communities to come to the game. Since starting this their average attendance has increased from 13,000 to over 18,000 and they are on track to be over 20,000 fans this year.

 

Their ground is 25,000 so they are on track to sell out the ground. They have finished 5th 2 seasons on the trot and are 4th this season in League 1 with this strategy, before with a different strategy they finished 7th in League 1 and missed the playoffs. The chief exec has said ticket prices will remain the same in the championship if promoted, they are aiming for the premier league in 10 years and if they get there they are saying ticket prices could be £1 because of the increased TV money.

 

 

So Wednesday have average attendances of 26,000, looking at the percentage increase Bradford have achieved in 3 years, if we did a similar scheme we would have Hillsborough sold out in 3 years. With no impact on performance and a much better atmosphere around the club and at games. The revenue I believe can be covered by sponsorships and increased match day revenues.

 

We have seen clubs come flying past us and get to the premier league with better strategies and better atmospheres, Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Burnley. I personally believe Bradford will get there.

 

I would personally love to see Hillsborough full every week and bouncing, it can be done and Is being done down the road In Bradford. Come on Wednesday, be the first to get ahead of the trend please.

 

What do you think?

 

This must come up on owlstalk more than the death of the head of the Catholic church who lives in Rome. The problem is evidence does not back this up, we have offers on tickets but we don't sell out except if it is a big game anyway ie play-offs. I can see the point of season ticket offers but our prices on this are not massively out of step with other clubs in the championship. Other clubs are happy to complain out our prices but then hike tickets when Wednesday come to town and this hasn't been only since we increased ours. I understand the argument that you want more people and pricing people out of football but I want a Ferrari and cannot afford one so I drive a Honda. The club does do offers for lower incomes, students and armed forces but the these are never mentioned as they are not a stick to beat the club with. Is our club being run the best it can, no it is not but as we can see from the efforts of older incumbents  now in north Derbyshire it could be worse and has been. Call me a happy clapper if you want but to be frank I don't care

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


This would have been a possibility in our bad old seriously skint days, however thankfully those days are over, with the wages and transfer fees that we are paying it is bound to cost the supporters,  promotion would soon take the sting out of the cost.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

This would have been a possibility in our bad old seriously skint days, however thankfully those days are over, with the wages and transfer fees that we are paying it is bound to cost the supporters,  promotion would soon take the sting out of the cost.

And if we don't get promoted this season the sting will hurt even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tarn owl said:

I was listening to the Football league podcast and they did a piece about Bradford city. They were talking about how they now get an average attendance of over 20,000. Their pricing is £20 a game and kids are £5 on the day regardless of which stand you sit in.

 

They have sold over 18,500 season tickets with season tickets costing £149 for early bird and £299 to buy after 30th April. They are encouraging people to get season tickets and trying to hit 20,000 season ticket holders. They have community schemes trying to encourage different communities to come to the game. Since starting this their average attendance has increased from 13,000 to over 18,000 and they are on track to be over 20,000 fans this year.

 

Their ground is 25,000 so they are on track to sell out the ground. They have finished 5th 2 seasons on the trot and are 4th this season in League 1 with this strategy, before with a different strategy they finished 7th in League 1 and missed the playoffs. The chief exec has said ticket prices will remain the same in the championship if promoted, they are aiming for the premier league in 10 years and if they get there they are saying ticket prices could be £1 because of the increased TV money.

 

 

So Wednesday have average attendances of 26,000, looking at the percentage increase Bradford have achieved in 3 years, if we did a similar scheme we would have Hillsborough sold out in 3 years. With no impact on performance and a much better atmosphere around the club and at games. The revenue I believe can be covered by sponsorships and increased match day revenues.

 

We have seen clubs come flying past us and get to the premier league with better strategies and better atmospheres, Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Burnley. I personally believe Bradford will get there.

 

I would personally love to see Hillsborough full every week and bouncing, it can be done and Is being done down the road In Bradford. Come on Wednesday, be the first to get ahead of the trend please.

 

What do you think?

 

It won't happen. It's not Mr Chansiri's way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would really like to see our pricing strategy be similar to Bradford and Huddersfield.

But I really doubt Chansiri will do an about turn and do that now. Will lose a bit of face and income.

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chansiri uses this as an excuse to tell fans if they want good good players then we have to pay because we don't receive premier league money. But do you think prices will go down if we are promoted and Chansiri is getting over £100m.... absolutely no chance. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, full fathom five said:

Deservedly so

 

Too right mate . We deserve it .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, optimisticowl said:

This would have been a possibility in our bad old seriously skint days, however thankfully those days are over, with the wages and transfer fees that we are paying it is bound to cost the supporters,  promotion would soon take the sting out of the cost.

 

You honestly believe that ? lol

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tarn owl said:

I was listening to the Football league podcast and they did a piece about Bradford city. They were talking about how they now get an average attendance of over 20,000. Their pricing is £20 a game and kids are £5 on the day regardless of which stand you sit in.

 

They have sold over 18,500 season tickets with season tickets costing £149 for early bird and £299 to buy after 30th April. They are encouraging people to get season tickets and trying to hit 20,000 season ticket holders. They have community schemes trying to encourage different communities to come to the game. Since starting this their average attendance has increased from 13,000 to over 18,000 and they are on track to be over 20,000 fans this year.

 

Their ground is 25,000 so they are on track to sell out the ground. They have finished 5th 2 seasons on the trot and are 4th this season in League 1 with this strategy, before with a different strategy they finished 7th in League 1 and missed the playoffs. The chief exec has said ticket prices will remain the same in the championship if promoted, they are aiming for the premier league in 10 years and if they get there they are saying ticket prices could be £1 because of the increased TV money.

 

 

So Wednesday have average attendances of 26,000, looking at the percentage increase Bradford have achieved in 3 years, if we did a similar scheme we would have Hillsborough sold out in 3 years. With no impact on performance and a much better atmosphere around the club and at games. The revenue I believe can be covered by sponsorships and increased match day revenues.

 

We have seen clubs come flying past us and get to the premier league with better strategies and better atmospheres, Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Burnley. I personally believe Bradford will get there.

 

I would personally love to see Hillsborough full every week and bouncing, it can be done and Is being done down the road In Bradford. Come on Wednesday, be the first to get ahead of the trend please.

 

What do you think?

 

 

I think we've missed a huge opportunity to sustainably grow the club. 

 

The infuriating thing is, with a sensible wage structure, it doesn't have to be like this. We've recruited badly and fans are picking up the bill.

 

Putting it into perspective, 2 or 3 players yearly wage is the equivalent of a few hundred pounds per season ticket holder. We've made mistake after mistake in the transfer market. How much is Fletcher on? Abdi? Boyd? Jones? Pudil? Matias? Winall? Drop two of these from our wage bill and suddenly are tickets are affordable again.

 

We've certainly lost our way as a club, the commercial strategy is really, really poor. Incredibly short term and doesn't understand the club's demographic. 

 

All adult tickets on the kop should be capped at £20, no question about it. 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

I would really like to see our pricing strategy be similar to Bradford and Huddersfield.

But I really doubt Chansiri will do an about turn and do that now. Will lose a bit of face and income.

 

our pricing strategy under any owner/ chairman as never been similar to Bradford so if none of the others did an about turn it's a bit much to expect chansiri  to start a trend ...

 

2 hours ago, tarn owl said:

Sorry but yes i do. I'm looking at it from a community point of view. I'm after a better atmosphere and match day experience.

 

If everyone is happy with current pricing then fair enough but that's why i posted the example. Just looking for opinions, personally i think we should be more community focused and bring prices down and reduce the squad size, even if that means we don't have highest possible revenues. I think you can achieve promotions without ticket prices increasing. If everyone is happy paying more and more to keep throwing money to try and get promoted then clearly I'm the minority. Not stupid, just an opinion.

why would charging less for tickets make for a better atmosphere and match day experience ?.....I've been to games where we only charged a tenner but my match day experience didn't seem any  better than usual ...................this community focused , bring down prices & reduce the squad size makes us sound like Accrington Stanley, chansiri's put best part 50 million quid in so far and just missed out twice in getting to where he can get his money back . I think your peeing in the wind if you think he's going to go down the road you want him to take .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

 

You honestly believe that ? lol

 

 

 

Yes I do, or I wouldn’t have said it, there are enough Owls supporters to prove my point. Anyone who expects a multi million pound club to offer first division prices is in cloud cuckoo land, I’m a realist, it doesn’t mean that I like it, but I can’t see it changing, make what you wish of this.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, torryowl said:

our pricing strategy under any owner/ chairman as never been similar to Bradford so if none of the others did an about turn it's a bit much to expect chansiri  to start a trend ...

 

why would charging less for tickets make for a better atmosphere and match day experience ?.....I've been to games where we only charged a tenner but my match day experience didn't seem any  better than usual ...................this community focused , bring down prices & reduce the squad size makes us sound like Accrington Stanley, chansiri's put best part 50 million quid in so far and just missed out twice in getting to where he can get his money back . I think your peeing in the wind if you think he's going to go down the road you want him to take .

 

Having more fans in the ground would obviously make for a better atmosphere. It's not rocket science. 

 

It's about being a progressive, sustainable football club, which has ties with the local community and understands the city and area it represents.

 

what some people are struggling to understand is, it's not a trade off i.e. charging more brings a greater liklihood of success. You can have success and not exploit fans, countless, countless examples. 

 

Chansiris is not a football man and has been badly advised on the commercial strategy. Could have really grown the club, it's a real shame.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

 

Yes I do, or I wouldn’t have said it, there are enough Owls supporters to prove my point. Anyone who expects a multi million pound club to offer first division prices is in cloud cuckoo land, I’m a realist, it doesn’t mean that I like it, but I can’t see it changing, make what you wish of this.

 Such a flawed argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, winn_owl said:

 

Having more fans in the ground would obviously make for a better atmosphere. It's not rocket science. 

 

It's about being a progressive, sustainable football club, which has ties with the local community and understands the city and area it represents.

 

what some people are struggling to understand is, it's not a trade off i.e. charging more brings a greater liklihood of success. You can have success and not exploit fans, countless, countless examples. 

 

Chansiris is not a football man and has been badly advised on the commercial strategy. Could have really grown the club, it's a real shame.

been proved that lower prices at hillsboro don't bring in more fans ........the second line I don't understand at all , whats "has  ties with the local community" mean" ?understands the city and the area it represents , again I aint got a clue what that means in a football sense ........you must be very conceited if you think that you realise that charging more doesn't bring success and yet think some of us think it does .........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

been proved that lower prices at hillsboro don't bring in more fans ........the second line I don't understand at all , whats "has  ties with the local community" mean" ?understands the city and the area it represents , again I aint got a clue what that means in a football sense ........you must be very conceited if you think that you realise that charging more doesn't bring success and yet think some of us think it does .........

Lower prices wouldn't bring more fans? Do you actually believe that? 

It's not cryptic pal, it means lots of Sheffield people can't afford the prices ... that not make sense? 

Charging more quite clearly doesn't bring success as we sit mid table and look a long way from a promotion side. Sheff United showing us how to do it sadly.

Edited by winn_owl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here we go again. We expect a man with no connections to the club to fork out fifty million (and still want more), yet as fans we ***** and moan about being asked to fork out five hundred for a season ticket. 

 

Think back a year year or two when we were in the high court and were discussing on here how to raise enough money to keep the club alive?

 

we now have some of the highest crowds for decades, and the opportunity to watch decent players for the first time in ages.

 

yet people are still not happy

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, winn_owl said:

Lower prices wouldn't bring more fans? Do actually believe that? 

It's not cryptic pal, it means lots of Sheffield people can't afford the prices ... that not make sense? 

Charging more quite clearly doesn't bring success as we sit mid table. What brings success is buying good players! 

Like talking to simpletons on here 

we have our highest average since the prem days and yet the the prices have never been higher so yes I do believe that 

cant argue that buying good players brings success but last season was our most successful for 17 years while charging the highest prices we've ever had 

i'll not rise to the simpleton bit . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Here we go again. We expect a man with no connections to the club to fork out fifty million (and still want more), yet as fans we ***** and moan about being asked to fork out five hundred for a season ticket. 

 

Think back a year year or two when we were in the high court and were discussing on here how to raise enough money to keep the club alive?

 

we now have some of the highest crowds for decades, and the opportunity to watch decent players for the first time in ages.

 

yet people are still not happy

Here we go again missing the point.

 

it doesn't have to be one or the other!!!

 

Look after your fans, grow the club, astute signings, sensible wage structure ... not a difficult concept. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

we have our highest average since the prem days and yet the the prices have never been higher so yes I do believe that 

cant argue that buying good players brings success but last season was our most successful for 17 years while charging the highest prices we've ever had 

i'll not rise to the simpleton bit . 

Not sure how many times I can say the same thing. 

 

You do understand we haven't been more successful because we've raised ticket prices? 

 

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

we have our highest average since the prem days and yet the the prices have never been higher so yes I do believe that 

cant argue that buying good players brings success but last season was our most successful for 17 years while charging the highest prices we've ever had 

i'll not rise to the simpleton bit . 

Indeed, DC has played a blinder in raising the POTG prices to such a high level that buying a season ticket is the only affordable / justifiable way to watch Wednesday for many people. It's a dangerous strategy mind as it will only take a season or two of mid table-ness for people to say "Nah, not buying a season ticket this year." How many of the ex season ticket holders will then shell out for the POTG prices?

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×