BREAKING NEWS - Massive changes to what you can take into the matches!

Rule number one to make people welcome draconian measures in all aspects of their lives . Invent a threat or blow one out of all proportion then the public will accept any measure you wish to implement and anyone who disagrees will be seen as someone with something to hide . It also makes sure that people view each other with suspicion which when you want to divide and conquer its fantastic . Every so often the police say they have foiled a threat and thats it . Look at the laws that have been invented over the last couple of decades to remove people's free will . To achieve and prevent absolutely nothing and thus is no different . Apart from you get some shiny new laws to stop you doing things . 

58 minutes ago, enjoyyourfootball said:

Yes. The point being, if someone wants to put something like a bomb in a back pack, they can do so and simply wonder down close to the ground and mingle with the crowds going to and/or leaving the match. They don't need to go near the turnstiles or get into the ground. The point I am making is that by banning rucksacks from the ground itself you are not necessarily making things any safer, it's an illusion and though we'd like to think it would make a difference, I doubt this ban would stop someone sick enough to try.  In the end, it isn't possible to remove the risk of someone doing something like this by banning rucksacks, or briefcases, or whatever, in a situation such as this where you have large crowds. . The reality is that there's not much you can achieve by banning things here and there, if someone wants to do something then it's pretty difficult to stop them, sad though it is. For what it's worth, I'd argue personally they'd be better off closing Penistone Road to traffic completely before and after the game if they want to improve safety more.  

Anyone wondering down to or near the ground with a rucksack, when rucksacks are banned, would stand out like a sore thumb and security people/police have a better chance of spotting them. Your idea of closing Leppings Lane/Penistone Rd. to traffic would help though. Convenience is a poor second to saving lives and injuries. Lets be sensible about this and just do as the club is asking for everyones sake.

Edited by Whatahoot

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

How big is a clutch bag?

Big enough to get your clutch in.  But why would you take it out of your car?  Is Herries Road that bad now?  

I'm absolutely disgusted with the rucksack ban.  I won't renew my season ticket when it expires.  

Wednesday don't deserve fans.  

1 hour ago, Indoor Owl said:

At sporting events on this side of the pond, your bag will be sealed with a little plastic tape like thing, indicating it's on the up and up.

And I'm actually surprised it's taken this long for these types of measures:  Going into a Maple Leafs game has a similar level of security as boarding a plane 10 years ago:  Empty pockets, metal detectors, pat down / wand.  Going to become the "new normal".

I don't think anyone gives two hoots what they do in foreign countries. 

This is England and it's ridiculous.  

Playing in Ipswich shirts is bad enough. 

Thought we weren't going to let a few terrorists change our way of life anyway.  

4 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

I don't think anyone gives two hoots what they do in foreign countries. 

This is England and it's ridiculous.  

Playing in Ipswich shirts is bad enough. 

Thought we weren't going to let a few terrorists change our way of life anyway.  

I agree.   Common sense has completely gone,  We have aground with 40,000 seats yet self appointed safety experts deem we can't use them all.  The threat of a terrorist targetting a northern second division ground is infinitesimal yet we have to be inconvenienced like this when we were going to carry on our lives in the English way tp prove that terrorism will fail. Clearly the safety people have surrendered.  Well, I haven't, I'm going to carry on living my life exactly in the free English manner I always have done.

And, as outlined above there are perfectly good reasons why some (a minority so it shouldn't cause a problem) need to bring an overnight bag, rucksack, crash helmet, work clothes, medicine, homework, shopping etc to the match.  Search them if they, or the bags look dodgy but leave us alone to enjoy life.

As pointed out the crowds leaving at the end could be more easily targeted by a bomb, gun or lorry with more casualties.  John lewis full of shoppers would be easier too.

I'm sure they mean well but it's nonsense.

33 minutes ago, cross owl said:

Rule number one to make people welcome draconian measures in all aspects of their lives . Invent a threat or blow one out of all proportion then the public will accept any measure you wish to implement and anyone who disagrees will be seen as someone with something to hide . It also makes sure that people view each other with suspicion which when you want to divide and conquer its fantastic . Every so often the police say they have foiled a threat and thats it . Look at the laws that have been invented over the last couple of decades to remove people's free will . To achieve and prevent absolutely nothing and thus is no different . Apart from you get some shiny new laws to stop you doing things . 

23333935_1752126238154604_353203890722835733_o.jpg

6 hours ago, alanharper said:

Yet other than the attacks in Paris, one of which took place outside the stadium whilst the game was on, there hasn't ever been a terrorist attack at a match, that I'm aware of. So easy to attack, but fortunately the terrorists are a bit thick and haven't thought of this.

Ohh No!!!!    What if these thick terrorists read Owlstalk.

WTF:

5 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I shall deploy it in a false arm like the security services use!

I will defend my right to drink from a flask...and my harris. 

I'm afraid you won't get away with that, Milord.

I have it on good authority that the security staff have orders not to allow admittance to

anyone with three arms.lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Its so tragic.

Lets be brutally honest, a footie match is one of the softest, most devastating, and high-profile terrorist targets there is.

The club get my total support. I wouldnt want it any other way. 

Agreed bloody annoying it maybe but it's for the greater good. 

The safety of all. 

6 minutes ago, acquiescefc said:

Wonder what the folks on Ariana GrandeTalk think about a few extra restrictions at stadiums?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't the detonation take place in the foyer area of the MEN arena? 

Meant that there was no security to check him (not that it would probably have made all that much difference). 

Always strikes me when you go to these big arenas (the O2 in London) how there's zero checking in the surrounding foyer areas and it's only upon entering the arena that security checks come into play. 

Good idea.

When we went to Fulham last year, we were stopping over for the night, but you could drop your bag off at a school (basically a glorified cloak room around the corner from the ground), pick up a ticket and it collect it after the match.

Could the club do something similar? Might only raise a few quid but could be helpful for people and particularly with away fans as well who are stopping over in Sheffield for the night?

Edited by Shifty Powers

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't the detonation take place in the foyer area of the MEN arena? 

Meant that there was no security to check him (not that it would probably have made all that much difference). 

Always strikes me when you go to these big arenas (the O2 in London) how there's zero checking in the surrounding foyer areas and it's only upon entering the arena that security checks come into play. 

Yes they did. And as part of these new security procedures at big concert venues they won't let anyone back in through exit doors once they've left, apart from in smoking areas of course.

I doubt SWFC could do this at every exit but basic security checks(for booze etc) probably already took place so they decided to bomb open reception area.