Who is Sheffield Wednesday's greatest ever goalkeeper?

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

So did Nsumu Nsudu one year but I don't think many would mention him in a list of greatest ever Wednesday forwards!

it probably says more for how bad the 1971 team was than how good Grummitt was

the 71 side had tommy craig , prendo, Sinclair ,sissons , so was up against some pretty good players ,sungo not so much .........like I say it's all about opinions I rate him as did a lot of others at the time  you and no doubt others don't ......

21 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Ron Springett although in my time following the Owls I’d say Chris Woods.

Often criticised by owls for a couple of high profile mistakes but many forget the countless excellent performances he put in, an away defeat at Anfield springs to mind, he looked outstanding  that day.

In a time when competition for the England goal keeper jersey was far more fierce than it is now (Seaman, James, Lukic, Cotton, Martyn, Flowers, Walker, etc) he was considered England’s number 1 keeper for a period of a few seasons and even before coming to Hillsborough he was number 2 under Bobby Robson, second only to the great Peter Shilton.

An excellent goal keeper.

Watch the 91/92 season review and tell me he only made the odd high profile mistake. Shocking keeper. Couldn't catch and had no bo11ocks. 

Edit; answer to the original question, Pressy by a country mile for me.

Edited by archieswfc
  • Like 1

Have watched the Owls since 1947, when my Dad, a lifelong Owls fan, took me at the age of seven.He could well remember the 'Glory years' of the late 1920's -early 30's, and I remember well the arguments we had together about Ron Springett  (I remembered Dave Mackintosh) and it was always 'Yes, he's good, lad , but he's no Jack Brown.' 

He finally changed his mind, grudgingly it has to be said. It was often said that Springett got praise for the defence in front, but disproved this when playing for England.In my honest opinion he was a better keeper than Banks.

We only saw the real wealth of Ron when he was replaced by his younger brother Peter, himself an England Amateur keeper of note, but not in Ron's class. 

Of the rest, Grummit, Westwood and Carson spring to mind along with Hodges, but none made the impact that Ron did. No matter who was in it, when the ball came into the six-yard box, a yell of 'MINE' would go up from Ron, and it didn't matter who was in the way, be it \opponent or Wed.Player. it was Ron's. 

• Love 1

On 10/11/2017 at 07:39, torryowl said:

level 1 springett 

level 2 hodge , pressman , 

level 3 bolder,grummitt,westwood,grant 

level 4 woods,springett the younger ,Kirkland ,turner ,

level 5 weaver ,lucas ,fox ,srnicek ,McLaren 

level 6 ramsbottom, cox 

level 7  tidman

some like watling ,wicks, scothorn  wildsmith, dawson stringer ,burch havnt.didnt  really played enough and not included any loans ...overall I think weve had some pretty good keepers and very few bad ones 

I think this is the problem with Dawson in the eyes of some fans.

He's following in the footsteps of giants and there are pretty big shoes to fill.

He's not a bad keeper by any stretch of the imagination, but we've had some great ones.

10 minutes ago, Osaka Owl said:

I think this is the problem with Dawson in the eyes of some fans.

He's following in the footsteps of giants and there are pretty big shoes to fill.

He's not a bad keeper by any stretch of the imagination, but we've had some great ones.

I think it’s more that he just keeps making the same mistakes 

• Like 2

On 09/11/2017 at 13:13, @owlstalk said:

Nail your colours to the mast and back ya man. Who in your opinion is Sheffield Wednesday's greatest goalkeeper of all time?

Gordon Banks was born in Abbeydale and brought up near Tinsley. His dad had a bookie’s shop in Catcliffe 

As a young lad he worked for Millspaugh and played for their works team and also Rawmarsh before signing for his first professional club Chesterfield

On 09/11/2017 at 14:25, steveger said:

We have always have decent keepers

The Springett brothers

Bob Bolder

Martin Hodge

Kevin Pressman

Chris Woods

Pavel Srnicek

Nicky Weaver

Scott Carson

Mark Crossley

Lee Grant

Stephen Bywater

Chris Kirkland

even the young Richard O'Donnell wasn't bad IMO

Don’t forget Peter Grummit took the spot when the late Peter Springett lost form. He never let us down 

Even the supreme keeper of all time can make mistakes.

Many decades ago, sat in the North Stand, I saw the normally faultless Ron Springett commit a school boy error of letting a 'harmless' ground shot through his legs as he crouched down to scoop it up. Shock ! Horror ! 

I believe we were playing Fulham and equalised in the second half through a penalty scored by Bobby Craig...

4 minutes ago, DSandersonOWL said:

Even the supreme keeper of all time can make mistakes.

Many decades ago, sat in the North Stand, I saw the normally faultless Ron Springett commit a school boy error of letting a 'harmless' ground shot through his legs as he crouched down to scoop it up. Shock ! Horror ! 

I believe we were playing Fulham and equalised in the second half through a penalty scored by Bobby Craig...

Agreed but that was a rare error not one that’s repeated numerous times per season

Just now, soldierboyblue said:

Agreed but that was a rare error not one that’s repeated numerous times per season

Thank you for reinforcing what I wrote : 'the normally faultless Ron Springett'. 

Perhaps we should give Dawson a break after his heroic cup winning MOM performance yesterday.