Who is Sheffield Wednesday's greatest ever goalkeeper?

1 hour ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Wouldn't put him in a list of great keepers for us but David Lucas never let us down in L1

He was on my original list but i took too long and it wouldn't save, should have copied and pasted but hey ho...:biggrin:

I liked him, was a decent keeper and was surprised when we let him go to be honest, i know he had injuries but he was still a reliable good goalkeeper..

Edited by steveger
edit: just realised HE chose not to renew his contract with us

3 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Ron Springett although in my time following the Owls I’d say Chris Woods.

Often criticised by owls for a couple of high profile mistakes but many forget the countless excellent performances he put in, an away defeat at Anfield springs to mind, he looked outstanding  that day.

In a time when competition for the England goal keeper jersey was far more fierce than it is now (Seaman, James, Lukic, Cotton, Martyn, Flowers, Walker, etc) he was considered England’s number 1 keeper for a period of a few seasons and even before coming to Hillsborough he was number 2 under Bobby Robson, second only to the great Peter Shilton.

An excellent goal keeper.

Theres no doubt woods was a good keeper at the time - but the couple of “high profile mistakes” are the exact reason he shouldn’t be top of any list.

he nallsed up in massive games which cost us dearly.

Bear In mind that back in the pre 70’s keepers got very little protection, it was fine to shoulder charge them into the back of the net if they were in control of the ball with one foot on the ground, the ball was a lot heavier and gloves were woollen. Ron handled the rough and tumble well, didn’t bother with gloves and represented his country 33 times and the Owls 345 time, it’s a no contest.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, steveger said:

We have always have decent keepers

The Springett brothers

Bob Bolder

Martin Hodge

Kevin Pressman

Chris Woods

Pavel Srnicek

Nicky Weaver

Scott Carson

Mark Crossley

Lee Grant

Stephen Bywater

Chris Kirkland

even the young Richard O'Donnell wasn't bad IMO

We had another one as well. He made his debut at 15 years and 8 months and we eventually let him slip through our fingers unfortunately. Anyone remember who it was?

Ron Springett for me though followed by Martin Hodge with Pressman and Bolder tied for 3rd place.

9 minutes ago, Eastleigh Owl said:

We had another one as well. He made his debut at 15 years and 8 months and we eventually let him slip through our fingers unfortunately. Anyone remember who it was?

Ron Springett for me though followed by Martin Hodge with Pressman and Bolder tied for 3rd place.

Buffon ?

• Haha 1

I know a lot don't like him because of his stint as manager,but for me Chris Turner pulled off the most important save in all the years I've been watching Wednesday,the one from Brian Mclair in the league cup final 

• Like 1
  • Love 1