Who is Sheffield Wednesday's greatest ever goalkeeper?

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

Woods was often critisised for a reason....he was sh*te for us.....never mind the high profile mistakes (and we aren't talking minor here we are taking through his legs against United in a season that could have cost us the league title and wobbly hands in the last minute of extra time in the cup final) but his lack of command of his area was staggering,,,,wouldn't dare leave his line

This. 

How he played for England I'll never know, he makes Joe Hart look good.

• Like 1

We have always have decent keepers

The Springett brothers

Bob Bolder

Martin Hodge

Kevin Pressman

Chris Woods

Pavel Srnicek

Nicky Weaver

Scott Carson

Mark Crossley

Lee Grant

Stephen Bywater

Chris Kirkland

even the young Richard O'Donnell wasn't bad IMO

Edited by steveger
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, WayneTheOwl said:

To be fair we've always had decent keepers. Pressman in my era for sure. Woods was good but had a mistake in him. Westwood has been solid. 

Trying to think of one we had on loan, was superb, from Liverpool - can't remember his bleeding name !!!

Grobelaar??lol

5 minutes ago, steveger said:

The Springett brothers

Bob Bolder

Martin Hodge

Kevin Pressman

Chris Woods

Pavel Srnicek

Nicky Weaver

Scott Carson

Mark Crossley

Lee Grant

Stephen Bywater

Chris Kirkland

Bob Bolder got some right stick from the fans when he first came in, he took the shirt from local Wednesday fan Chris Turner and a lot of fans didn't like that.

At first he looked as nervous as a bag of kittens, but went on to become a firm favourite, and if I remember he was on standby for an England call up, or was that Martin Hodge.

2 minutes ago, NYowl said:

Bob Bolder got some right stick from the fans when he first came in, he took the shirt from local Wednesday fan Chris Turner and a lot of fans didn't like that.

At first he looked as nervous as a bag of kittens, but went on to become a firm favourite, and if I remember he was on standby for an England call up, or was that Martin Hodge.

i forgot chris turner

26 minutes ago, Ian said:

Woods was often critisised for a reason....he was sh*te for us.....never mind the high profile mistakes (and we aren't talking minor here we are taking through his legs against United in a season that could have cost us the league title and wobbly hands in the last minute of extra time in the cup final) but his lack of command of his area was staggering,,,,wouldn't dare leave his line

How you can say Woods when you must have seen (in my order of choice) Hodge, Pressman and Westwood to name but 3 is beyond me

And I'll throw another name in to the hat because for me when he was with us he was absolutely outstanding, great shot stopper, came for and took nearly every cross and totally commanded his area.....It's a crying shame what happened to him after he left us because I was convinced he would be playing in a top 4 Premiership side and for England for the rest of his career, not the sixth tier of English Football.....Iain Turner

Yes, Woods was so bad he was England’s number 1 goal keeper. lol

47 minutes ago, steveger said:

The Springett brothers

Bob Bolder

Martin Hodge

Kevin Pressman

Chris Woods

Pavel Srnicek

Nicky Weaver

Scott Carson

Mark Crossley

Lee Grant

Stephen Bywater

Chris Kirkland

Wouldn't put him in a list of great keepers for us but David Lucas never let us down in L1

The greatest owls goal keeper we have will always be Ron Springett. But the best Goal Keeper i have see for all round game is Keiren Westwood.

Each keeper we have had, had good and bad points, Pressman good shot stopper, the biggest kick I have ever seen on a keeper and what a penalty taken but his box movement was poor and he was very slow,

Woods again good all round keeper appalling at crosses,

Grant good shot stopper, poor distribution and so on and so on.

The best one of the lot though has to be Ola Tidman that man had a present above all men here didn't have the fear factor of quossie modo sorry Chris Adamson but he had presents.