ASK THE SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY CHAIRMAN - PART 3

Large.jpg

Today Mr Chansiri takes questions on the internal management structure, stripes and the club crest:

You do not have a CEO in place at the moment. Is this something you will consider for the future?

Of course, like any part of the club, if any move benefits Sheffield Wednesday, then it would be something I would consider.

But right now I am comfortable with the management structure, an in-house committee, in place. This, like all aspects of the club, is under ongoing review and could change at any time.

For now, we have managers at the head of every department who report to either the Chief Operating Officer or directly to myself, depending on the nature of the role. It is simple and straightforward and works well for everybody concerned.

In the future perhaps I could introduce a Chief Executive Officer but any such appointment would have to be the right one for myself and my staff to help move the club forward.

I have seen certain things about my style of management which make me smile.

Do I micro-manage? No, because otherwise there is no point in having department managers.

Am I a pro-active chairman? Yes, because I care passionately and want the very best for our club.

Do I have football people around me? Does anybody really believe a chairman of a club the size of Sheffield Wednesday, with the expertise required, would not have football people at his side?

I installed our finance director John Redgate onto the board who has much experience in the game. John helps look after the club whilst I am out of the UK.

Elsewhere, there are many years of football experience in the office management structure, people who have the autonomy to make their own decisions for the good of their department and our club.

Sure, many decisions will require my input, which is completely normal as chairman. Just like recruitment, the significant financial decisions are mine as the owner of the club. But managers manage their departments, this is why they are here and this is why they are managers.

Can we all improve? Of course.

Just like the team on the pitch can always improve, so can the team off the pitch. I expect continual improvement and progress from my staff because I want Sheffield Wednesday to be the most professional club possible.

Why did you decide to take the blue and white stripes from the kit?

I wished to introduce an iconic kit for our 150th anniversary and we went through many options, with our history always at the forefront of these discussions and designs.

We could have had hoops, for example, we could have had halves, but this was not something I felt befitting for the anniversary year.

I wanted a simple but strong design which was also traditional to the club and the final selection I believe achieved this. This was the same last season and we achieved the best ever shirt sales our club has seen.

Of course, I appreciate the feedback of all our fans, some who prefer the stripes and some who prefer the current design and some who prefer something else completely different.

The design of the kit never pleases everybody, this is something I learned very quickly in football, but I had to make the decision and I think the current kit does look extremely strong and iconic to mark our historical anniversary.

I have never said I will not return to blue and white stripes and I have never said stripes represent bad luck in Thailand!

What I have said and will always say is that I will never change tradition, I will always respect our history and I will never change the blue and white of Sheffield Wednesday.

Would you consider returning to the iconic crest of the 1970s, 80s and 90s?

It was important to me that while I wished to introduce a new crest to mark the new era of Sheffield Wednesday, it would maintain a nod to history. In a similar way to the kit, I have full respect for the traditions of our club.

The current crest is a modern take on the one produced but never worn by the first team in the 1950s. I believe this crest is strong, powerful and traditional and represents perfectly the new beginning since I bought Sheffield Wednesday.

This is the crest that symbolises Sheffield Wednesday for the present, for sure.

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Of course, I appreciate the feedback of all our fans, some who prefer the stripes and some who prefer the current design and some who prefer something else completely different.

WTF

Does he mean the designer of the current home shirt?

I've not met a single person who prefers this home shirt to stripes?

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Why would he though as we've been told that the current plain home shirt is a record breaking shirt

To be fair, the season after Wembley with over 20,000 season ticket holders, it is hard to imagine what blue and white kit they could've come up with which wouldn't have seen record sales.

As for this seasons record breaking shirt, I'd like to see which records it has broken. lol

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Why would he though as we've been told that the current plain home shirt is a record breaking shirt

When not if. When, we return to our traditional blue and white stripes (with black shorts please), I'd like to bet that will be an all time record for shirt sales.

Chansiri knows this too. Its a marketing ploy.

20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:
  14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Sorry, but If the chairman is convinced this is true then I believe he can convince himself of anything.

I know a few people who are less bothered about the loss of stripes, but I've never heard a single person say they prefer the current design.

• Like 1

I like the home kit. It's a nice shirt. In no world would I ever prefer it to a proper striped Wednesday shirt though. It's a nice kit but it doesn't feel like a Wednesday kit.

What bothered me more was not having it ready on time, not having the old kit reduced for three month's, the kit only being at a slightly less scandalous price for about 5 weeks, having a competition to design a kit then never producing the kit, etc, etc.

There's still been no actual explanation of why the commercial side of the club is such an unmitigated disaster.

The latest club crest doesn't bother me, it says Sheffield Wednesday to me.

I was not that interested either in the kit for this season not being on sale until October as I wasn't going to buy it.

But taking away the stripes wee wees me off totally. Doesn't at all say Sheffield Wednesday to me and no way think its an iconic kit for our 150th year anniversary and does not respect the traditions of the club.

SOME prefer current shirt....SOME prefer Stripes....SOME prefer something else ,yeah, thats true, but how big proportionallly are the SOME of each choice ????

Atleast he has answered in his way. He has stated that history is important to him and over Wednesday's history we have over whelmingly played in striped shirts and he does not rule out bringing them back.

As for a Finance Director running a football club in his absence...I'm not at all sure about that as a business model. But again he does not rule out an appointment of a CEO and he agrees he is still learning.

Again we have to wait and see the outcome.Only fair to our Chairman.

Edited by Whatahoot

43 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

WTF

Does he mean the designer of the current home shirt?

I've not met a single person who prefers this home shirt to stripes?

It's quite cleverly worded as he is certainly right.  I'm sure there are some fans that do prefer the current kit but this could be a small minority (let's say there's a few hundred, as an example) but there are also some fans, the vast majority I'm sure, who prefer stripes (let's say 40,000).  So we have managed to produce a kit that favours the small minority rather than the vast majority and, in our anniversary year.. 

In regards to the crest

I was against it

But I've got used to it now, and I believe it looks classy, and befitting of a club celebrating 150 years of existance

I also like the fact the Owl can be lifted off the crest and put on garments on it's own, like in the picture below, and it still looks classy without looking like a football shirt

owl.thumb.jpeg.cbf4c96eaa19d7cb118e824f807ef36d.jpeg

Edited by HOOTIE AND THE SHIT TU

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Can't say I'm entirely convinced by his rebuttal to the matter of whether he micro-manages.

I've never known the fact there are managers in place prevent the inveterate micro-manager from micro-managing them.

Having said that, he brings up the subject himself in answer to a question that was hardly loaded, so fair play for making an earnest attempt to address fans' concerns rather than just answering these questions minimally.