Post match this season I've regularly been dissapointed but tonight.....

......I'm excited. But then again Im feeling much less pain in my spine (fractured L1 vertebrae 6 weeks ago) than in the past month or so......so I'm also less msierable than I have been....

The group mentality in the last two games has been spot on. If we carry that forward and be consistent over the next third of the season then its all to play for!

UTOs!!!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lee Strafford said:

......I'm excited. But then again Im feeling much less pain in my spine (fractured L1 vertebrae 6 weeks ago) than in the past month or so......so I'm also less msierable than I have been....

The group mentality in the last two games has been spot on. If we carry that forward and be consistent over the next third of the season then its all to play for!

UTOs!!!

C'mon Lee, what's changed in the last couple of weeks for you? Not long since you were annoyed the chairman was smiling for photo's being taken after a poor result, or did I dream that?

Got to support the Club, the Team, the Chairman and the manager at all times. If you don't it puts pressure on people who could really do without it. They all know what's required, leave them to it, enjoy the ride.

For the record, you also had my total support when you were at the helm, I just can't bring myself to do otherwise.

Think we're breeding a generation of manic depressives, up one week down the next.

Just hope all supporters just get behind everyone at SWFC for the rest of the season. By all means have a dig at the end if we've failed but not midway.

UTO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, we've got our best team for almost 20 years.  Just won at Villa, where they'd lost just one of previous 12 home games I think.

But someone will watch the highlights and say Palmer is useless in front of goal. Guaranteed.  We have some miserable fans.

I was at a gym yesterday near Scunthorpe and Bryan Laws was on the cross trainer in front of me.

Keeps himself super fit- but I'd sooner have CC as our boss than Lawsy, Megson or the others.

I watched the Villa game on a stream- our first half display was as good as any in the past 3 years.

Yes- we passed it sideways and backwards a lot- proper tired Villa out chasing it. Much better than hoofball.

I have to say, that 1st half display has given me more hope than I could've imagined.

The first 30 minutes, was a magnificent display for technical ability, tactical discipline and sheer God Damn hard work. 

And it's today's sort of performances, that makes the shambolic start to the season even more infuriating. 

The players ability (nor effort really) has, nor should've, ever been questioned. But for some reason or another, the players hadn't been performing. 

But today, everything clicked, and it produced a beautiful spell of football. At the home of one of the division's best teams. 

The key is replicating this. We won the game today through positive intentions. Press high, win the ball back quickly, play the ball forward quickly, run into spaces. It's what our players strengths are. Let's use them, and performances like that, SHOULD, become the norm. 

We shouldn't fear anybody in this league. And today has proved it. 

1 hour ago, Lee Strafford said:

UTOs!!!

I am not surprised by today's result. You said in your last post we lacked team spirit. Have you changed your mind?

Edited by Muffin Owl

we are a good team with lot of good players who can't  get a regular game as well .....the coach is sound if a little on the cautious side . ....this  thread sums up a lot on here lose and the team spirit / players/ coach/ owner  are crap  , win and everything is hunky dory .........lets all enjoy the win but if we lose the next game just keep things on an even keel instead of calling for who ever as wazzed us off the most that day's head .......fat chance of that happening with some on here I know .

The one obvious tactical change is seeing our midfielders spending less time alongside our centrebacks, this is directly linked to group mentality. Only seeing one midfielder drop back when fullbacks push on forces everyone to trust each other to play, and enables us to pass forward much more.

We are also less static up front with Rhodes and Hooper.

Group mentality up and down from game to game prior to the last two games, group mentality spot on in the last two games.

Plus as I said in the OP I'm generally less miserable than much of the couple of months....

The 2 big things for me are our starting tempo and left hand side.

One of my biggest criticisms of Carlos is almost every match this season he’s sent his teams out to play with zero tempo, zero energy and we’ve given so many teams a free shot at the beginning of matches it’s been ridiculous.

Barnsley, Millwall and Villa however have been different, we’ve started on the front foot, had a much better tempo to our game and as a result, taken the lead and each and the results have picked up.

I also think playing Reach as an out and out winger has seen him flourish and we are starting to see why we paid such a big transfer fee for him but also, playing Fox behind him has left us looking like a much more balanced side in general and I just hope that we continue as above as if we do, I’m sure we’ll all be leaving matches a lot more happier than we were earlier in the season.

14 hours ago, Lee Strafford said:

UTOs!!!

Great that you are posting on here Lee. As a FAN.

We got the game live in Australia. I was not going to bother watching at 2:00 am but I was so glad I stayed up to watch it. 

That first half was sublime.

Palmer stole an easy tap-in off Fletcher which would have made it more like the dominant result it should have been.

But the big question remains - CONSISTENCY?

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

The 2 big things for me are our starting tempo and left hand side.

One of my biggest criticisms of Carlos is almost every match this season he’s sent his teams out to play with zero tempo, zero energy and we’ve given so many teams a free shot at the beginning of matches it’s been ridiculous.

Barnsley, Millwall and Villa however have been different, we’ve started on the front foot, had a much better tempo to our game and as a result, taken the lead and each and the results have picked up.

I also think playing Reach as an out and out winger has seen him flourish and we are starting to see why we paid such a big transfer fee for him but also, playing Fox behind him has left us looking like a much more balanced side in general and I just hope that we continue as above as if we do, I’m sure we’ll all be leaving matches a lot more happier than we were earlier in the season.

But we aren't playing him as an out and out winger. Quite the opposite actually.

He's playing very narrow, almost as another No.10, drifting into the half space and running in beyond.

As a result, he's finding far more space, because the full back can't pick him up, and the centre halves don't want to get dragged out wide, when he'll invariably make that run, from in to out behind the full back.

It's a pretty unique role, that seems to suit Reach's energy and off the ball intelligence nicely. Because Reach isn't particularly skilful nor lightening quick, we don't see the best of him when he's marked by a full back, but this role negates that from happening. Puts a lot of pressure on the left back, to provide constant width in attack, whilst also defending well, often against an overload (which Bannan is the more likely to go across and help out).  But Fox has done it well enough in the last two games. 

40 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

But we aren't playing him as an out and out winger. Quite the opposite actually.

He's playing very narrow, almost as another No.10, drifting into the half space and running in beyond.

As a result, he's finding far more space, because the full back can't pick him up, and the centre halves don't want to get dragged out wide, when he'll invariably make that run, from in to out behind the full back.

It's a pretty unique role, that seems to suit Reach's energy and off the ball intelligence nicely. Because Reach isn't particularly skilful nor lightening quick, we don't see the best of him when he's marked by a full back, but this role negates that from happening. Puts a lot of pressure on the left back, to provide constant width in attack, whilst also defending well, often against an overload (which Bannan is the more likely to go across and help out).  But Fox has done it well enough in the last two games. 

In Carlos' first season FF & Wallace (from the wings) used to do this pretty regular, finding the space to receive a pass then moving the ball quick.

The second season we seemed to have a more rigid style and the flexibility wasn't there.

Is it Carlos just letting the front six have a little more freedom of movement that's letting us play a bit better?

I think the brief highlights on C5 should how good we were, Villa didn’t have any highlights until the goal, just the scramble.

i think c5 would have made it the Villa show if they could have but they couldn’t.

The smile on Clinton’s face as Colin introduced the game told a story  :manager: