Would you sell one key player in January?

2 hours ago, Ian said:

I stopped reading at "Hunt just isn't that good" followed by "Jones - I like him"

and then later on you say you'd be happy to sacrifice Fletcher because, amongst others, we've got Nuhiu!

mind boggles 

If you stopped reading how do you know what he said later.....?

• Haha 1

Should only sell a key player in the right circumstances - but everybody has their price.

If the chances of the Play offs look slim and Hooper and is still near the top of the goal scoring charts and somebody like Wolves, Villa Boro etc decide he is the final piece in their jigsaw and therefore offer £10m + - I would sell him.

Not having a go at Hooper - he is great.  Its just simple economics for a 29 year old with a slightly questionable injury record.  Furthermore, we have loads of other options in that area and have to consider FFP.

27 minutes ago, Spuddy01 said:

It's been proved time and again FF is far more effective playing on the left!

I would play him in a free role behind the strikers, he would be a lot more effective there, what was called the Paul Scholes or Paul Gascoigne role just in behind the striker but dictating play. 

The fans blew the Forestieri thing out of proportion. 

He had a private reason for not playing (probably family related), which CC wasnt impressed with and then the fans start making up bullshit thinking he wants to leave. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Should only sell a key player in the right circumstances - but everybody has their price.

If the chances of the Play offs look slim and Hooper and is still near the top of the goal scoring charts and somebody like Wolves, Villa Boro etc decide he is the final piece in their jigsaw and therefore offer £10m + - I would sell him.

Not having a go at Hooper - he is great.  Its just simple economics for a 29 year old with a slightly questionable injury record.  Furthermore, we have loads of other options in that area and have to consider FFP.

Thats was the point of the thread if you had to sell someone who would you sell, but in true Owls talk fashion this ended up being a slag off thread.

1 minute ago, flo said:

The fans blew the Forestieri thing out of proportion. 

He had a private reason for not playing (probably family related), which CC wasnt impressed with and then the fans start making up bullshit thinking he wants to leave. 

I would suggest it was his mate who used to play for Boro who basically got into his head that the grass was greener elsewhere.

Personally if it was me after the first season and he played so well I would have given him a better deal to tie him down to the club> instead we give him a better deal after he spat his dummy out. Again I would have done it different and would have said to him, prove you want it and play your heart out till the end of the season and get us promoted then give him a better new deal then.

This is just another example though of how we as a club could make things work for us then what the club actually does.

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

In January we could have Lee, Hutchinson, Butterfield, Bannan and Abdi all fit and ready to play in central midfield.

Selling Jones for say £1m could help us address an area where we have even less cover such as centrehalf.

Loovens isn’t getting any younger and how many fans would be happy with us going into the business end of the season with Van Aken partnering Lees should Loovens be injures!?

Who do you think will give you £1m for a 31 year old on big wages?

You might be able to get rid of him for free but to do that may need to sub a proportion of his wages.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

On 03/11/2017 at 14:50, Mr. Tom said:

Losing FF would be a real spirit-crusher at first - it'd feel a bit like the eventual death of a difficult marriage, despite both parties agreeing to therapy and really working at sorting things out. But in hindsight, I suspect there was always the worry that constantly defibrilating it was just hurting the kids more in the long run. :duntmatter:

That analogy hahahaha

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Who do you think will give you £1m for a 31 year old on big wages?

You might be able to get rid of him for free but to do that may need to sub a proportion of his wages.

In fairness he’s a 31 year old who has got promoted from this division twice in recent years and we don’t know what his wages are, every chance they could be standard for a player of his pedigree.

8 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

In fairness he’s a 31 year old who has got promoted from this division twice in recent years and we don’t know what his wages are, every chance they could be standard for a player of his pedigree.

They could be but we do know that:-

a.) Dyche was disappointed to lose him

b.) That he came to us because Burnley said they couldn't compete with the terms we offered him.

c.) That he has previously signed contracts whilst a PL player.

I think its unlikely that his wages are 'standard'.

6 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

As I keep saying to all these fanciful suggestions.

Who would buy him?

Loan him out but heavily subsidise his wages.

You could loan him to a lower end Championship club and offer to pay day 80% of his wages. It’s a situation that is far from ideal but it’s got to be better than having him sat kicking his heels and paying 100% of his wages.

9 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

They could be but we do know that:-

a.) Dyche was disappointed to lose him

b.) That he came to us because Burnley said they couldn't compete with the terms we offered him.

c.) That he has previously signed contracts whilst a PL player.

I think its unlikely that his wages are 'standard'.

So we don’t know how much he’s on then.

Also i’d add that in this day and age, £1m really isn’t a lot for a player of his experience/quality, after all we played just under that amount for Stevie May.

• Haha 1

In January we could have Lee, Hutchinson, Butterfield, Bannan and Abdi all fit and ready to play in central midfield.

Lee, Hutchinson and Abdi will never be fit to play Championship football ever again.....patched up and used possibly but never fit and always on the verge of not even being able to be patched up for any given game.

Picture doesn't look as healthy with that in mind

Selling Jones for say £1m could help us address an area where we have even less cover such as centrehalf.

Loovens isn’t getting any younger and how many fans would be happy with us going into the business end of the season with Van Aken partnering Lees should Loovens be injures!?

All correct of course. In propinciple I would agree that the chances of all 3 of Hutch, Abdi and Lee being out is tiny....but!

Three periods in the last six months Jones has been essential. First in the Spring when we only had him and Baz fit, then early this season when only him and Baz fit, and again right now when he is the only sub we have should Baz or Butters need time off.

Abdi, Lee and Hutch gave become so regularly unfit that we must keep three other CMs in the squad, meaning Jones, Bannan, Butters.