Would you sell one key player in January?

On 11/3/2017 at 15:37, Holmowl said:

Good post but you are wrong about Fletch.

Scored a goal every 200 minutes last season. Better than Hooper, better than FF.

OK he has only two so far thus season, but like most strikers once he hits a run it keeps going. Plus, it clearly works for the team when he plays with Hooper, and we have yet to see how Fletcher-Rhodes works, but a Hooper injury will soon show us. 

Long years of watching him up front for Scotland has coloured my view. I like him as a players, but this season is his 'normal state'. I had hoped he'd be a really bully at this level, he's a clever player, can bring in others really well and with his experience should be far more effective than he has been so far this season.

I'd be happy to have him as one of our starting strikers, but in a situation where we have hooper, rhodes, joao, winnall and nuhiu, with nando coming back in as well.. then for me fletch is the one to sacrifice. I can understand the argument for winnall, but fleth is over 30 now, his value is just likely to decline every window that comes and goes. Winnall's 26, so there's time yet with him.

Forestieri isn't going to be moving in January. When he does get fit, he'll be part of our plans again. Hopefully at a time when we've had a good Christmas period and are knocking on the play off door again. If he was to go it'd be in the summertime. No one's going to pay a fee that we'd want if he hasn't played all season through injury. 

On 03/11/2017 at 14:51, cookeh said:

who would I sell from the current squad?

Hunt - if we can recoup some money on him and invest it in a better player then it's absolutely something we should do. He's just not that good, his defending is generally poor, his crossing is generally poor. We need someone who is head and shoulders better than Palmer.

Jones - I like him, but he's not quite at the level we need. He's 32 so it's unlikely we'd get much for him, but saving on his wages would certainly not go amiss.

Keiran Lee - Tough call. Keeping Bannan because he's contracted for longer and 2 years younger (Lee's will be 30 next year). We need a true midfield partnership, and sadly Lee and Bannan don't quite do it. They're good enough for most games, but if we can get a good fee for lee and then use his and Jones' wages to bring in a quality foil for Bannan, then that's the way i'd go.

Abdi - let his nightmare here end. Given his injuries he's going to be hard to move tho.

Wallace - 50/50.. might a well keep him as a reserve, but if someone will pay money for him then great.

Nando - We've missed him while he's been out, but Reach is coming good on the left, and Nando will massively disrupt the forward 2 of Rhodes and Hooper. I don't think we need him as much as we need a quality right winger and that's where the money we'd get for him should go.

Fletcher - Still only 30 so could still get a few million for him. Joao's there in case of injuries to Hooper and Rhodes, and ofc Nuhiu's lurking around till the end of the season, when Winnall will come back. I like Fletch, but he's just too goal shy.

So we upgrade Hunt if we can. Swap Lee and Jones for a proper defensive center mid. Change Nando for a right winger and use any money from Fletch, Wallace and Abdi (and anything else left over) for a centerback.

I stopped reading at "Hunt just isn't that good" followed by "Jones - I like him"

and then later on you say you'd be happy to sacrifice Fletcher because, amongst others, we've got Nuhiu!

mind boggles 

Edited by Ian
  • Haha 1

Interesting thread. Some of the transfers mentioned are completely unrealistic though. Who in their right mind would either pay a fee and/or match the wages of Jones, Abdi, Fletcher, Boyd etc. These players are all on a good wage here and the only clubs they would probably leave for are further down the table than us and possibly on lower budgets. 

Keiren Lee £8m? 

Westwood £5m? 

Who is going to pay that? 

If we are to sell anyone (which we probably won't), Winnall, Matias and Forestieri can leave for me as long as any fees brought in are spent wisely. 

Edited by David1867

If we sell players to enable us to invest in new players I want to know who is going to pick the new players. If it's the idiot who has wasted so much dosh on some of the misfits, geriatrics and crocks we currently have I'd rather not bother. If it is to be a well researched investment in quality players that actually fit into our team and system then I'm all for it.

I wouldn't sell Lee's unless it's silly money. Hooper isn't for sale at any price. Bannan and Reach aren't for sale and if Rhodes keeps his recent form I'd stick with him.

1 hour ago, Owl Be Back said:

I'd sell Forestieri. He's a disruptive influence to the other players and the club in general and it's a struggle to fit him into the side - ie, doesn't want to play on the left so is played in a front two where he isn't as effective.

And round,and round we go.

As for running a football club, that in effect is a business, good business practice is essential. You sell your assets at your peril, however the astute ridding of your liabilities is good business practice. Just because a player is a problem, doesn’t make him a liability, conversally freeing up the wage of a player who although being a consummate professional is past his best, is good business practice. Last but not least, the dreaded contractual problem rears it’s head, if a player on a long highly paid contract is wanted by a lesser club, then the holding club will have to subsidise his wages, or he simply stays put.

Who would want to run a football club?

WTF:

Yes I'd let Winnall go if we can get £3m plus for him as that'd be a nice £2.5m profit on him that could be used to strengthen elsewhere, perhaps bring in some real pace on the right wing. We already have Rhodes, Hooper, Fletcher, Forestieri, Joao and Nuhiu so letting a striker go makes sense.

Also if we can sign Butterfield permanently I'd also see about shipping out Jones too.

If the team are going well and on a streak which puts us in the frame for promotion i would not want to sell any part of succesful team. If there are players who are not playing and are deemed surplus it would seem reasonable to sell them but you would not call them key. Second point if we do raise funds or spend funds it is spent on areas of the team where we have a lack of quality and give us genuine options so we can compete against aggressive in your face teams. Genuinely think help required with recruitment as we have brought too many in who have not functioned, in particular have lots with ongoing medical issues.

If the team are not in contention i presume manager will change and new man will want to freshen things.

1 hour ago, Ian said:

I stopped reading at "Hunt just isn't that good" followed by "Jones - I like him"

and then later on you say you'd be happy to sacrifice Fletcher because, amongst others, we've got Nuhiu!

mind boggles 

talk about picking what you read :D

2 hours ago, Cambs Owl said:

Winnall, Joao, Abdi, Jones, Dave, Fletcher (maybe), Matias.

Problem with some of those players is that it would be very difficult to move them on.

Who is going to want to offer a contract to Abdi and Matias for example on same or better terms then at Wednesday with there injury record.

2 hours ago, Maxine said:

Fletcher, Nuhiu, Jones. 

9 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Yes I'd let Winnall go if we can get £3m plus for him as that'd be a nice £2.5m profit on him that could be used to strengthen elsewhere, perhaps bring in some real pace on the right wing. We already have Rhodes, Hooper, Fletcher, Forestieri, Joao and Nuhiu so letting a striker go makes sense.

Also if we can sign Butterfield permanently I'd also see about shipping out Jones too.

If Butters signs great. But get rid of Jones?

Right now Lee, Hutch and Abdi are all very regular missing. Jones has filled the gap successfully. We literally had no other CMs apart from Jones and Bannan for six weeks last season.

Just now, Holmowl said:

If Butters signs great. But get rid of Jones?

Right now Lee, Hutch and Abdi are all very regular missing. Jones has filled the gap successfully. We literally had no other CMs apart from Jones and Bannan for six weeks last season.

In January we could have Lee, Hutchinson, Butterfield, Bannan and Abdi all fit and ready to play in central midfield.

Selling Jones for say £1m could help us address an area where we have even less cover such as centrehalf.

Loovens isn’t getting any younger and how many fans would be happy with us going into the business end of the season with Van Aken partnering Lees should Loovens be injures!?