Would you sell one key player in January?

Interesting point made on the radio before Milwall.

Would our squad benefit from selling a key player, so we could reinvest, give the squad a fresh feel to it and try something new?

For me, I'd be up for it. We have a very good squad of players, but for one reason or another, it's not clicking like we want it too.

One of the biggest problems is that a lot of our 'star' players don't really compliment each other.

Bannan and Lee, both good championship players, but ideally, you wouldn't play them in the middle together.

Hooper and Rhodes, again, proven championship strikers, but in an ideal world, you wouldn't pair them together as the best partnership.

You get my point.

If we could get 5/6 million for Lee, or the same for Bannan, would you cash in and bring in a different type of midfielder and add a few players in to give the squad a fresh feel and new ideas?

Or keep with what we've got?

Bannan Rhodes would be my call if CC still in charge.. 

Bannan if played as an attacking midfielder would be quality and Rhodes if we played actual wingers... in Carlos’s narrow 442 neither will fulfil there potential and a decent sum of money could be achieved for both.

Id try selling Fletcher also but can’t see anyone paying him 

• Like 1

Not Westwood, Hooper, Lee, Lees or Bannan for me. Not Reach either, who's starting to emerge as one of our more consistent performers, and whose utility is near-priceless in our current circumstances even though he's clearly not the finished article yet.

Anyone else I'd say potentially yes, if the money was right.

Obviously I do want JR to stay & do well, but it has to be both.

I'd also like to keep Joao, whose full potential i'm STILL not convinced we've seen anthing close to...although admittedly it's getting a bit like waiting for Christmas, and he's got a lot of competition now. Wouldn't be too devastated if we had to let him blossom elsewhere, but it would be a shame.

Losing FF would be a real spirit-crusher at first - it'd feel a bit like the eventual death of a difficult marriage, despite both parties agreeing to therapy and really working at sorting things out. But in hindsight, I suspect there was always the worry that constantly defibrilating it was just hurting the kids more in the long run. :duntmatter:

who would I sell from the current squad?

Hunt - if we can recoup some money on him and invest it in a better player then it's absolutely something we should do. He's just not that good, his defending is generally poor, his crossing is generally poor. We need someone who is head and shoulders better than Palmer.

Jones - I like him, but he's not quite at the level we need. He's 32 so it's unlikely we'd get much for him, but saving on his wages would certainly not go amiss.

Keiran Lee - Tough call. Keeping Bannan because he's contracted for longer and 2 years younger (Lee's will be 30 next year). We need a true midfield partnership, and sadly Lee and Bannan don't quite do it. They're good enough for most games, but if we can get a good fee for lee and then use his and Jones' wages to bring in a quality foil for Bannan, then that's the way i'd go.

Abdi - let his nightmare here end. Given his injuries he's going to be hard to move tho.

Wallace - 50/50.. might a well keep him as a reserve, but if someone will pay money for him then great.

Nando - We've missed him while he's been out, but Reach is coming good on the left, and Nando will massively disrupt the forward 2 of Rhodes and Hooper. I don't think we need him as much as we need a quality right winger and that's where the money we'd get for him should go.

Fletcher - Still only 30 so could still get a few million for him. Joao's there in case of injuries to Hooper and Rhodes, and ofc Nuhiu's lurking around till the end of the season, when Winnall will come back. I like Fletch, but he's just too goal shy.

So we upgrade Hunt if we can. Swap Lee and Jones for a proper defensive center mid. Change Nando for a right winger and use any money from Fletch, Wallace and Abdi (and anything else left over) for a centerback.

I think you would be looking at 5 million max for any of out players other than FF and Hooper.

FF stock will have fallen further due to his current injury, we may get around 8 million.

Hooper is an interesting one, if he continues with his goal scoring for the next couple of months, we may get an offer of around 10 million from a premiership club.

At his age I think that would be too good to turn down and if you include Winnal we do have an abundance of strikers.

Just now, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Explain please ?

Refused to play and tried to hold the club hostage to force a move.

Training ground bust up with Winnall that saw him held out of other games.

Plays best on the left and the team performs best with him on the left, but by accounts has indicated that he wants to play up top and in the centre not wide.

So we have a player coming off a major injury, who doesn't want to play the position we need him to play, who has tried to force his way out of Wednesday by refusing to play on game day.

Talented player, but I've no use for that type of prima donna selfish player with how deep our striking options are.

Couple of million for Fletcher, and get his £30k+ pw off the wage bill.  Abdi for free to anyone just to free up his waste of a wage as well, and if he keeps scoring potentially £8-10m for Winnall (although I suspect we'd only get anywhere near that if he's bagged 20+ by the end of the season) - that gives us a lot of wriggle room in the wage budget and helps out with FFP.

Of the "star" players if we really had to get rid of one or two you'd rather be looking at the older ones who's value is likely to decline rather than increase - so a few million for Westwood (33), or big money moves for Hooper (30 in January) or Lee (30 next summer) wouldn't be terribly bad business. I'll stress that I'd rather keep all of those 3 though.

This is what should have happened in the summer. Every squad needs a refresh. Ferguson did it all the time at Man U. I would have accepted Fessi wasn't working out and would have sold Lee or Lees depending on the fees offered. Every team in the world needs to do this, Real Madrid sold Morata and rodriguez in the summer, yes they would have preferred to keep and have endless options, but that isn't healthy for a squad. It would be nice to see Wednesday being able to rotate squads and keeping things moving forward.

15 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

Refused to play and tried to hold the club hostage to force a move.

Training ground bust up with Winnall that saw him held out of other games.

Plays best on the left and the team performs best with him on the left, but by accounts has indicated that he wants to play up top and in the centre not wide.

So we have a player coming off a major injury, who doesn't want to play the position we need him to play, who has tried to force his way out of Wednesday by refusing to play on game day.

Talented player, but I've no use for that type of prima donna selfish player with how deep our striking options are.

Fans still peddling that tried to "force a move" crap.

Winnall was the one loaned out........................funny how according to some Fessi is a trouble-causer but still remains a swfc player.

Prima donna,Blah,Blah,fan made up up crap.

Four transfer window opportunities to "leave,force a move" but he's still here..............................think it says more about some of our fans mindset with regards to him to be honest,than anything else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let's be realistic, any of our players would be sold if the price was right.  

For me, I would entertain offers in the following region for some of our players:

Forestieri - £15M - just think it's a matter of time before another upset.

Westwood - £5M - not as good as he has been, and think we could get another 'keeper for less money, allowing us to move some wages elsewhere.

Winnall - £5M - not happened for him here and a chance to make a nice profit

Other players who I think we could lose without too much impact on the first team; Loovens, Wallace and Jones.  

None of the players I've mentioned are bad players but I think we are a bit stale and could use some new ideas on and off the pitch.

42 minutes ago, cookeh said:

who would I sell from the current squad?

Hunt - if we can recoup some money on him and invest it in a better player then it's absolutely something we should do. He's just not that good, his defending is generally poor, his crossing is generally poor. We need someone who is head and shoulders better than Palmer.

Jones - I like him, but he's not quite at the level we need. He's 32 so it's unlikely we'd get much for him, but saving on his wages would certainly not go amiss.

Keiran Lee - Tough call. Keeping Bannan because he's contracted for longer and 2 years younger (Lee's will be 30 next year). We need a true midfield partnership, and sadly Lee and Bannan don't quite do it. They're good enough for most games, but if we can get a good fee for lee and then use his and Jones' wages to bring in a quality foil for Bannan, then that's the way i'd go.

Abdi - let his nightmare here end. Given his injuries he's going to be hard to move tho.

Wallace - 50/50.. might a well keep him as a reserve, but if someone will pay money for him then great.

Nando - We've missed him while he's been out, but Reach is coming good on the left, and Nando will massively disrupt the forward 2 of Rhodes and Hooper. I don't think we need him as much as we need a quality right winger and that's where the money we'd get for him should go.

Fletcher - Still only 30 so could still get a few million for him. Joao's there in case of injuries to Hooper and Rhodes, and ofc Nuhiu's lurking around till the end of the season, when Winnall will come back. I like Fletch, but he's just too goal shy.

So we upgrade Hunt if we can. Swap Lee and Jones for a proper defensive center mid. Change Nando for a right winger and use any money from Fletch, Wallace and Abdi (and anything else left over) for a centerback.

Good post but you are wrong about Fletch.

Scored a goal every 200 minutes last season. Better than Hooper, better than FF.

OK he has only two so far thus season, but like most strikers once he hits a run it keeps going. Plus, it clearly works for the team when he plays with Hooper, and we have yet to see how Fletcher-Rhodes works, but a Hooper injury will soon show us.