Poppy badge with owl

1 minute ago, np pontefract said:

So you think Stop the war and CND are Corbyn fads, do you ?

I accept fads is the wrong word. He is committed to these hand wringers and has said he says no circumstance where he could order a nuclear strike.

Let's hope he can persuade the trustworthy Mr Putin to agree eh?

Did you support the illegal war against Iraq

Yes. He had butchered hundreds of thousands of his OWN people and had shown no regard for Kuwati, Iranian or Israeli lives either.

Do you still ?

With a better post war plan, then yes. 

As we allowed it to evolve afterwards, then obviously no. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

What about the huge numbers that were killed ?

And tell me, just how many weapons of mass destruction were found in Iraq after the slaughter ?

Any normal person is sorry for the civilian deaths but I don't see how the white poppies  would have helped them?

Will these white poppies stop ISIS, Boko Haram, Bashaar al Assad in Syria or any of the many other low level insurgencies and wars currently taking place?

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Mardy Bum said:

Hate these tbh most of the time the money for these goes in to the badge salesmans pocket rather than the poppy appeals 

Was in the pub before a recent game and the Badge Man (grey haired bloke about 60, been doing it for years) came round with the Owl / Poppy badges. I asked him about does any money go to the British legion and he showed me a letter from the RBL to show that he had paid a fee to use the poppy on his badges. 

I do agree with people that linking the poppy with Wednesday is a tacky though.

10 minutes ago, Jeff King's dog said:

I accept fads is the wrong word. He is committed to these hand wringers and has said he says no circumstance where he could order a nuclear strike.

Let's hope he can persuade the trustworthy Mr Putin to agree eh?

Yes. He had butchered hundreds of thousands of his OWN people and had shown no regard for Kuwati, Iranian or Israeli lives either.

With a better post war plan, then yes. 

As we allowed it to evolve afterwards, then obviously no. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Any normal person is sorry for the civilian deaths but I don't see how the white poppies  would have helped them?

Will these white poppies stop ISIS, Boko Haram, Bashaar al Assad in Syria or any of the many other low level insurgencies and wars currently taking place?

You just don't get it do you.....

And you've somehow forgotten to mention anything about the Alleged "weapons of mass distruction"

The official reason for the illegal invasion.

White poppies didn't stop the invasion, but then again, neither did Red ones.

7 minutes ago, np pontefract said:

What don't I get?

And you've somehow forgotten to mention anything about the Alleged "weapons of mass distruction"

They weren't there. What do you want me to say?

That's not why people buy red ones. It is a gesture of respect and rememberance for those who gave the ultimate sacrifice so we can sit here typing testicles.

What is the aim of the white ones? To magically uninvent weapons and stop the bad guys by reasoning with them?

4 minutes ago, Jeff King's dog said:

What don't I get?

That's not why people buy red ones. It is a gesture of respect and rememberance for those who gave the ultimate sacrifice so we can sit here typing testicles.

What is the aim of the white ones? To magically uninvent weapons and stop the bad guys by reasoning with them?

Your view of the world and mine are totally different by the sound of it !

Bad Guys......

I thought it was only president Trump who spoke like that !

47 minutes ago, np pontefract said:

37 minutes ago, Jeff King's dog said:

What don't I get?

Approximately 60 million people died during the Napoleonic war, the 1st world war and 2nd world war.

A lot of these were on the fields of Flanders where despite all the devastation and destruction the red poppies still grew in abundance.

Because of this the original reason for the red poppies was remembrance of those who died in these conflicts.

• Like 2

I got mine from poppy Scotland, they have custom ones made for all the SPL clubs apart from one (let you guess which club), they have obviously been clever and saw the market and all the proceeds do go to the charity, obviously mines a Rangers one...

The British Legion has missed out on a bit of clever marketing here... would have made more money for the people who deserve it 

poppyscotland-pin-badges-2018.jpg

• Like 1

my  late mum sold poppies for sixty odd years until she died and was out in all weathers and the RBL never even sent a thankyou letter, also my son did his bit and came home suffering from PTSD the RBL never helped him either  we had to go to SAAFA ,but that said I will still buy poppies to help those who gave their all for us

Edited by trevdi9
  • Thanks 1

Guest Jack the Hat
On 02/11/2017 at 18:58, Plonk said:

I got mine from a bloke selling them in the pub. I hope that helps. Think he had a cap on.

Was it a grey cap?

2 hours ago, steveger said:

The British Legion has missed out on a bit of clever marketing here.

F**k me sideways stevie,

it a beautiful symbol of remembrance for the poor sod on the frontline who gave the greatest sacrifice, as well as those that saw their forever young mates die. The poppy is a chance for those to be near to those lost in conflict. 

It’s not a marketing strategy more akin John Lewis’s to get you to buy a tasing coffee machine. 

OMG, with all this James McClean and Matic being attacked by the Poppy fascist. This once beautiful, simple flower feels more degraded with every year that passes. 

Read ads this slowly. 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

J. McRae

Edited by M Royds
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, M Royds said:

F**k me sideways stevie,

it a beautiful symbol of remembrance for the poor sod on the frontline who gave the greatest sacrifice, as well as those that saw their forever young mates die. The poppy is a chance for those to be near to those lost in conflict. 

It’s not a marketing strategy more akin John Lewis’s to get you to buy a tasing coffee machine. 

OMG, with all this James McClean and Matic being attacked by the Poppy fascist. This once beautiful, simple flower feels more degraded with every year that passes. 

Read ads this slowly. 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

J. McRae

really?

the "marketing" i speak off will bring in more money which in turn does more good for the brave people they represent, aint that the whole point of the whole charity ?

1 hour ago, steveger said:

really?

the "marketing" i speak off will bring in more money which in turn does more good for the brave people they represent, aint that the whole point of the whole charity ?

It degrades the meaning of it. 

There’s a temporary Royal British Legion shop at Meadowhall selling the badges.

https://www.meadowhall.co.uk/news-events/meadowhall-poppy-appeal-store#Cp5ud5bIdRMYU5gZ.97

The joining of the poppy with a football teams logo on a badge will be a marketing method by the Legion to try to raise more money for the cause, and at a typically higher unit selling price than the plastic one.

Seems like a good idea to me!

• Like 1