Poppy badge with owl

Just now, M Royds said:

It's a little concerning how the poppy is being represented today.

It's more concerning how folk look to be offended in so many ways these days. Wear a Poppy/ Don't wear a poppy/  Wear a poppy alongside a club badge you support/ Wear a metal badge poppy/ Have a poppy on your car.....

What does it really matter and why other folk have to stick their noses in it and get upset about what somebody does gets more ridiculous by the day.

edit - I appreciate me commenting on the situation is also sticking a nose in but it has to be said. Folk should be able to do what they want without some randoms getting offended.

I will buy a poppy and wear it. There will also be a poppy on the front of my cars.

• Like 5

Have a look at how much the RBL pay people to sell poppies! Lot of your money doesn't go where you might think! Look on line and find out how much of your pound goes to the actual cause and not administration/pay etc! Wear the white poppy!! 

1 minute ago, Buzz said:

Have a look at how much the RBL pay people to sell poppies! Lot of your money doesn't go where you might think! Look on line and find out how much of your pound goes to the actual cause and not administration/pay etc! Wear the white poppy!! 

You do realise how fûcking moronic this post is don’t you?

1) Royal British Legion need to advertise massively to keep the donations rolling in.

2) Those donations from the back of advertising help some of the most vulnerable people in our society, families coping with disability, PTSD, loss of loved ones and so much more. Care homes etc also are run by the charity.

3) The cost of advertising is, as with any brand, a huge outlay. Using the universal symbol of a red poppy to keep the Legion ‘brand’ at the forefront of public conscience is pretty good marketing, as long as costs don’t outstrip the benefit of the campaigns.

4) Paying staff isn’t a bad thing, why do you assume this to be the case? The Legion are providing employment to someone who needs a job. That being said the vast majority of official poppy sellers are local Legion members anyway, not employees.

5) If you’re actually referencing the fiasco of the £15 M&S poppies or the Tower of London poppies etc that make the news each year for only X amount going to the Legion then point your anger at those companies not at the Legion. The fact that they have chosen to sell their own poppy products and donate a small % to the Legion isn’t really the fault of the Legion is it?

6) The decision of the Legion to allow said companies to sell official poppy products of their own branding is in response to the rise of the ‘posh’ poppies being made at the turn of 2010 ish. People were starting to buy these and not the official paper poppies so the Legion allowed these companies to sell licenced products to ensure at least SOME money is donated from these to the charity.

7) If you’re worried about how much of your donation will go to the charity find an official poppy seller, ask to see ID and buy one direct from the Legion.

But hey, don’t let that put you off warning people off buying poppies from the EVIL Royal British Legion. Eh?

Showing your allegiance to your club and your country on a badge is a problem?

I'll wear one of those badges on matchday but i'll also contribute to the real cause by wearing an official poppy

Either way showing respect is the main thing for me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

It's more concerning how folk look to be offended in so many ways these days. Wear a Poppy/ Don't wear a poppy/  Wear a poppy alongside a club badge you support/ Wear a metal badge poppy/ Have a poppy on your car.....

What does it really matter and why other folk have to stick their noses in it and get upset about what somebody does gets more ridiculous by the day.

edit - I appreciate me commenting on the situation is also sticking a nose in but it has to be said. Folk should be able to do what they want without some randoms getting offended.

I will buy a poppy and wear it. There will also be a poppy on the front of my cars.

People aren't looking to be offended, people are just speaking out more about insensitive, offensive behaviour which is a good thing.

You wont find many, if any people complaining about you wearing a poppy. By the same respect, I assume you don't mind people not wearing one for personal or political reasons?

For me the thing about the joint badges is that it dilutes the reason for the poppy.......we shall remember them....but only if I've got time amongst my football club allegiances 

its for a or a week or 2 each year.....if people don't think they can wear a poppy without simultaneously telling the world which football team they support it's a sad time......and yes, I include all the managers wearing them in their post match interviews

2 hours ago, happy bunny said:

Showing your allegiance to your club and your country on a badge is a problem?

I'll wear one of those badges on matchday but i'll also contribute to the real cause by wearing an official poppy

Either way showing respect is the main thing for me

Why not donate the badge money to the poppy?

Far more worthy than buying something thats akin to football, fashionary, and keeping with the true meaning of the simple symbolic of remembrance for those that ate mud and dodged bullets and never saw their family again.

Take up our quarrel with the foe;
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high,
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow  
In Flanders' Fields.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, the monk said:

Really gets under my skin this type of thing , why do folk have to gatecrash such a worthy long standing charity 

Can't folk show a bit more respect instead of slapping club logos on a poppy 

Tacky 

Agreed, totally missing the point of the poppy appeal.

On 03/11/2017 at 00:58, Buzz said:

They don't pay anything to retailers who have them on the counter and any poppy sellers you meet are volunteeers. I've done it in the past and can promise you I didn't get a penny.

They have overheads and fundraising/admin costs, as does any major charity so I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Money from the red poppy goes to help ex servicemen in one way or another.

Where does the the white poppy money go, CND / 'Stop the War' or some other Corbyn fad?

• Like 2

On 03/11/2017 at 00:58, Buzz said:

White poppies are the product of the peace pledge union, look where that money goes.

"At a national level, money raised over and above the cost of producing, publicising and distributing the poppies goes to fund our education and campaigning work, thus promoting nonviolent approaches to conflict and challenging militarism. Such work regrettably does not attract much funding and so we rely heavily on the generosity of people like you."

I'd rather buy a red poppy in remembrance of those who died.

Guest The Claw
On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 18:30, fatbloke no1 said:

Saw few people wearing these Tuesday,grateful if anybody can tell me where I can buy one

Hillsborough club or crown when the badge seller comes round before match

I always wear a poppy. Buy a new one each and every year.

Not keen on some of the narrative that's built up over the last few years about whether people should or shouldn't wear them though.

Something weird about observing remembrance to this nations finest hours fighting against facism by shouting "DO AS I SAY!" at people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Jeff King's dog said:

They don't pay anything to retailers who have them on the counter and any poppy sellers you meet are volunteeers. I've done it in the past and can promise you I didn't get a penny.

They have overheads and fundraising/admin costs, as does any major charity so I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Money from the red poppy goes to help ex servicemen in one way or another.

Where does the the white poppy money go, CND / 'Stop the War' or some other Corbyn fad?

So you think Stop the war and CND are Corbyn fads, do you ?

Did you support the illegal war against Iraq ?

Do you still ?

What about the huge numbers that were killed ?

And tell me, just how many weapons of mass destruction were found in Iraq after the slaughter ?

For those who wish to wear the white poppy of peace, alongside the Red poppy of Rememberance, they are available from the Quaker meeting houses.