Butterfield

He had an ok game but he didn't pull up any trees. He's always going to struggle to stand out next to a player who performs like Bannan, mind.

If he looked forward rather than backwards or sideways when he got the ball I reckon he'd be a good prospect...but the same stands for Dave Jones so make of that what you will.

3 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Are you saying that Bannan and Lee will play together in the middle? If so we will struggle because that doesn't work. We look lightweight.

No, I’m not saying Bannan and Lee should play together (although I’m not opposed to that depending on who will play in midfield with them). What I am saying is that Butterfield won’t be chosen before Lee or Bannan to play alongside Hutch or Jones. 

Butterfield played ok but not the answer for getting promoted out of this division. Absolutely cacked himself when he broke into their half with space to run in front of him, couldn't wait to get rid of the ball. Also seems to take him a second longer than any other player when ball arrives at his feet before he decides what to do with it.

2 changes for saturday for me, hunt for palmer and lee for butterfield 

11 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Thought he did alright.

But much rather have Winnall in the squad, bagged another 2 for Derby tonight.

Scored 4 in 7 games apparently, which is back to his Barnsley form (and not sure if those were all starts). He scored 4 in 16 for us (again not sure how many starts). Yet another example of Carlos getting a player and ruining him....

Edited by Almat

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Some Jones bashing going on, so let's see if we play so much better without him.

With P10. W4. D4. L2

Without. P5. W1. D1. L3

Whatever the problem is, it certainly hasnt been Jones.

The team was more balanced with Jones in midfield and the results back it up as he is disciplined in his position whereas Bannan and Lee and too fluid and when we lose the ball are often out of position. Jones has a bad game and this forum gives him grief. Lee has a bad run of form and nothing is said.

Butterfield has been judged on 10 and 20 minutes here and there sometimes when the game has gone. Lee when he came on last night made some poor decisions but I thought Butterfield had a good game last night and deserves to keep his place. A pairing of Bannan and Lee just doesn't work in the middle but if Carlos is so determined to play Lee he could put him in on the right in place of Wallace.

1 minute ago, LSOwls said:

Why do people on Owlstalk not understand that you have to pass sideways?

I thought that the sideways passing was actually productive last night as the ball was moved quickly from right to left rather than the slow passing we had seen in recent games. In fact the first goal came from Wallace (who I have been critical of) switching play across to the left. It pulled Millwalls players out of position with our full backs hugging the touchline high up the pitch.

Thought he was pretty busy, got involved and offered. Technically good and got himself out of some tight spaces. Obviously the set piece was good. Seems sharp minded and able to play quick passes which is something we haven't done enough. Earned another start, for me.

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Some Jones bashing going on, so let's see if we play so much better without him.

With P10. W4. D4. L2

Without. P5. W1. D1. L3

Whatever the problem is, it certainly hasnt been Jones.

Those stats are in spite of Jones. You can spin them however you want - he isn't good enough.

2 hours ago, LSOwls said:

Why do people on Owlstalk not understand that you have to pass sideways?

Filthy foreign muck. There are three permissible actions in proper English footer:

(i) Kick it directly forwards

(ii) SHOOOOOOT

(iii) kick an opposition player up the aris.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Pompeyowl said:

Absolutely agree. 

Would liked to have seen him pull the trigger when he broke with all that space instead of releasing wide, but really have no reason to criticise him tonight. 

Looked solid to me. 

Best game so far tonight.