Liam Palmer

1 hour ago, Ian said:

When you say he will be out of position, the way we play that is always going to happen...because our full backs provide nearly all the attacking width, when an attack breaks down of course he will not be on the traditional right back position waiting for them to attack

Have a look at the last 10 games we have played and look where 90% of the goals we have concede have come from the left and right full back position. We get caught out to often, he got skinned by an 18 year old kid in the derby because he lunges instead of defending. 

If Palmer plays the next few games we will be tighter defensively for it and yes may lose something going forward but it not as if we don't have other attacking players in the team. What we need at the moment is a tight back 4 not conceding soft goals.

4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Have a look at the last 10 games we have played and look where 90% of the goals we have concede have come from the left and right full back position. We get caught out to often, he got skinned by an 18 year old kid in the derby because he lunges instead of defending. 

If Palmer plays the next few games we will be tighter defensively for it and yes may lose something going forward but it not as if we don't have other attacking players in the team. What we need at the moment is a tight back 4 not conceding soft goals.

If you are asking for a tight back four then you will have to alter the way we play. The full backs are being asked to play the role of wing backs because we generally play a narrow midfield. Most teams who play wing backs play a system to suit their strengths and weaknesses- we don't. As you rightly say the fullback positions then become a weakness. Palmer imo can not play the role of Hunt or Reach who get up and down the pitch all day long. Palmer either can not or will not make the recovery run when caught up the pitch. 

I'd be interested to see how Hunt played behind a genuine winger then he could concentrate on being a first and foremost a defender. As daft as it must sound to Carlos maybe we would be more solid by playing a right winger with Palmer or Hunt behind him?

45 minutes ago, Walt said:

If you are asking for a tight back four then you will have to alter the way we play. The full backs are being asked to play the role of wing backs because we generally play a narrow midfield. Most teams who play wing backs play a system to suit their strengths and weaknesses- we don't. As you rightly say the fullback positions then become a weakness. Palmer imo can not play the role of Hunt or Reach who get up and down the pitch all day long. Palmer either can not or will not make the recovery run when caught up the pitch. 

I'd be interested to see how Hunt played behind a genuine winger then he could concentrate on being a first and foremost a defender. As daft as it must sound to Carlos maybe we would be more solid by playing a right winger with Palmer or Hunt behind him?

Walt I agree but we need to focus on keeping clean sheets and pushing up the table. That why for the time being I believe the more defensively sound Palmer is the better option, what we lose in him going forward as compared to Hunt we gain in him being better at defending.

As for the wing back I would love to see Matias tried for 4 or 5 games, he is a lot quicker, more direct and when he is attacking he will force the other teams wing back back. It might not work but let at least try because Wallace and Hunt is clearly not working this season. We are not creating chance and we are being caught out of position a lot more often when Hunt pushes too far forward.

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Walt I agree but we need to focus on keeping clean sheets and pushing up the table. That why for the time being I believe the more defensively sound Palmer is the better option, what we lose in him going forward as compared to Hunt we gain in him being better at defending.

As for the wing back I would love to see Matias tried for 4 or 5 games, he is a lot quicker, more direct and when he is attacking he will force the other teams wing back back. It might not work but let at least try because Wallace and Hunt is clearly not working this season. We are not creating chance and we are being caught out of position a lot more often when Hunt pushes too far forward.

I would have liked to see Matais given a go last night playing right wing in front of Hunt ( I gather Hunt was injured)  How Wallace kept his place after Saturday's shocker is beyond me. I'm not sure Palmer is any better than Hunt defensively but understand that's open to opinion. Imo Hunt is being asked to do Wallace's job as well so he's obviously going to be caught out of position more than Palmer who doesn't make as many of those lung bursting forward runs. If Carlos doesn't trust Matais to step up then a right back of Palmer and a right mid of Hunt may work, especially away from home but It's a far from ideal suggestion considering the amount of money we've squandered in not improving the side.

I thought Palmer was poor over all last night to be honest.  The last half hour he looked like he'd had a knock to the head!  The foul on the edge of the box where he ran the length of the pitch and just ploughed into their player was ludicrous.  

He really struggles to cross a ball too which is hugely frustrating.

I'd have given him 6/10 last night.  Maybe 7 up until the last half hour.

I'd say he's a couple of % better at defending than Hunt but 30% worse going forwards.  And last night would suggest he's significantly less fit.  

Just not bothered...

I think hunt is decent but overrated by many.

hes decent at times going forward but it makes me laugh how Palmer is slated for crossing when hunt is equally poor in that regard.

the example someone gave about Brookes is telling - not just because of the game but because it kinda summed Hunt up - he’s not a very intelligent defender.

if he’d just stood up Brookes and united probably wouldn’t have got past the halfway line - instead one pass later they should have scored.

hes a bit daft is hunt.

Think Hunts played very well overall this season,be harsh to leave him out.

But Palmer likewise had a really good game against millwall,even got a very decent shot off and on target!!!

Nice problem to have,but id go for Hunt against a very strong and in form villa this saturday