s-l1600-4.jpg

Peter Rodrigues

What was this fella like when playing for Wednesday?

Amazon | Broadband | AirBnb

Came to us at the wrong time....released on a free and then captained Southampton to their FA Cup win.

My abiding memory is of him having a snow ball fight with Willie Henderson during the abandoned match with Bristol City in 1972/73.

he started ok but got dragged down with a few others after  burtenshaw arrived .

Had a few good games but personally I thought his attitude was well under par. Best exemplified by his none performance in the third round of the cup at Sunderland where he had given up completely by 65 minutes. We lost 3-0 !

I remember him vividly as he bombed down the right flank. Didn't he move to Southampton. I refuse to look on the Internet for the answer. Wednesday were pretty awful when Peter was playing for us. We were obviously in free fall. Itw hard to really judge him in such a bad team 

Welsh International.

Expert in the sliding tackle....

The ones where you now get sent off for being out of control.

Decentish player, better than quite a few we had at the time but nothing special........ and as your picture suggests looked about 20 years older than he was.

Only young at the time, but I remember his well timed tackles and his ability going forward.

One of the few players who were capable of providing a bit of excitement,  at the time.

I remember him scoring a screamer which was an intended cross.

Against Fulham (possibly)

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
On 30/10/2017 at 10:09, @owlstalk said:

s-l1600-4.jpg

Peter Rodrigues

What was this fella like when playing for Wednesday?

Terrific full back

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:05, sheriwozgod said:

Decentish player, better than quite a few we had at the time but nothing special........ and as your picture suggests looked about 20 years older than he was.

40 years on and apart from the hair he's hardly changed ......

article-0-0CE82809000005DC-76_634x441.jpg

• Agree 1

He scored a reight goal against somebody at Hillsboro' ...(Yea I know lol)...rocketed up the right and hit it straight into the net from out wide...like Wallace at Fulham, but from wider...I want to say Luton, but can't remember

On 04/05/2018 at 19:18, asteener1867 said:

He scored a reight goal against somebody at Hillsboro' ...(Yea I know lol)...rocketed up the right and hit it straight into the net from out wide...like Wallace at Fulham, but from wider...I want to say Luton, but can't remember

Bang on mate,it was the Luton game when we 4-0 he scored the fourth,we went 2nd in the table,it was a stunner like you say.

Think he only ever scored one other goal for us,at Bristol rovers, in his final season

• Thanks 1

Used to live 3 doors away from me in Rosamond Drive, Bradway.  Seemed a quiet but pleasant bloke :biggrin:

My memory is that he wasn't very good at all, but given the state of the team he was in it was probably a case of becoming a bit despondent. Irony is we released him on a free and Saints snapped him up for him to captain them to the FA Cup the following season. A Saints team which also included Jim McCalliog who finally got his cup winners medal 10 years too late!

Served him when I worked in the Beauchief Hotel bar c79/80.