Time to sell JR?

Our style of player doesnt suit him, particularly when teams park the bus against us.  JR needs an open style of attacking player to shine IMO. 

Would it not be prudent to sell him in January and pick up some fast pacy attacking right winger to get behind defences? Or a 6ft plus commanding midfielder like Shelvey who can change games (Obviously we cannot afford the real Shelvey). 

2 minutes ago, CF83OWL said:

Our style of player doesnt suit him, particularly when teams park the bus against us.  JR needs an open style of attacking player to shine IMO. 

Would it not be prudent to sell him in January and pick up some fast pacy attacking right winger to get behind defences? Or a 6ft plus commanding midfielder like Shelvey who can change games (Obviously we cannot afford the real Shelvey). 

Maybe we should play to JR’s strengths and get him scoring again. 

• Like 1

No. It's time to create a team in which a striker like JR will thrive. Pacy wingers with good delivery, overlapping full backs who can actually cross the ball. 

JR will get 30 a season if we deliver the ball. He's incredibly short of confidence but the natural ability to be in the right place at the right time doesn't desert you...it's just no use to you when the Ball is never in the right place at the right time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CF83OWL said:

Sell him.....and then buy just the sort of player we need to use Rhodes properly?

Good thinking.

• Haha 2

The only way we'd sell Rhodes at anything less than a huge loss is if we start playing him and he starts scoring goals. 

Of course,  if that started to happen then we wouldn't want to sell him.

It's proper Catch 22,  because while ever he's sat on our bench he's doing us no favours in terms of performance and his value is decreasing.

JR has proved year on year what a natural goal scorer he is. He's not suddenly lost that ability.

Weve been after someone like him for years. If we were flying in the league playing a formation that didn't suit him, then id reluctantly sell him. However we are struggling and need a change in manager and tactics. I would hate to lose him prior to those changes taking place and then be crying out for that goalscorer to get on the end of the crosses a new manager and tactics would undoubtedly bring.

5 minutes ago, Tudders said:

JR has proved year on year what a natural goal scorer he is. He's not suddenly lost that ability.

I could say the same thing about CC.

2 great years in English football and 1 abd run of form this season doesnt mean he has lost his ability. 

Edited by CF83OWL

Jordan Rhodes need his team to be set up to entirely suit his game, for him to deliver the goals. When he was at Blackburn he had two wingers and Rudi Gartstad ,( fellow striker) to lay them on for him. With us, CC wants goals from all over the pitch....not much evidence of that this season though.

Unfortunately under this manager we are unlikely to see the best of JR, that is even if there is anything of the best of JR left to see. 

It was obvious that in the play off JR had no confidence as he did not want to take a penalty,  something I still can not get my head around or forgive him for. 

It is still very obvious he has no confidence from the way he is playing and I believe a good coach would have addressed this. Unfortunately far from addressing this, the lack of confidence seems to have infected the rest of the team. 

If Carlos can not put this right it is another massive flaw in an ever increasing amount of flaws in the way he is managing the team.

Saturday it was crying out for something different and he puts JR on instead of Joao to replace Fletcher and true to form he might as well been sat at the side of me in the stands.

Those crying out for him to start Tuesday need to shake their heads. Joao has to start in front of JR surely. 

Just now, CF83OWL said:

I could say the same thing about CC.

2 great years in English football and 1 run of form this season doesnt mean he has lost his ability. 

Yes you could say that, however I feel that managers have a shelf life, where their impact on the team diminishes over time. That's why I feel CC needs to move on.He will no doubt have a big impact at a new club. However he is fading away with us it seems. 

3 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Get him up front with big Dave and get it up the pitch quicker. All sorts of stuff bounces off the big man and he will occupy the main centre back of the opponent. 

I expect you'll be negged to the edge of oblivion for that comment. But I agree with you. 

It's about the right combinations. Until we signed Fletcher Hoopers best spell came when the big man was bashing defenders around and causing space for Hooper to exploit.