Turning defence into attack so quickly

7 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Westwood's quick ball options are Forestieri and Joao and that's about it.

Actually, we must have had at least 6 opportunities yesterday when Westwood had the ball and Fletcher and Hooper were one on one quite well up. Had to be worth a punt or two but no, after holding it and looking several times he went for the slow option. Supporters around me were shouting for him to release it and get the ball up front (best done quickly through midfield not  just always a long kick). Although Forestieri and Jao are our best pace options, the general pace was appalling although we still had sufficient opportunities to score at least one more goal.

I am sure this will help my neg count but some of this is down to the difference between Hooper and FF

When the defence or especially midfield win the ball and look to move it forward they look to play it to the feet of the second striker ( unless they just hoof it).

Hooper takes care of the ball much better and rarely gives it away but generally he is playing with his back to goal, and passes back or square thus slowing things down.

While FF lost the ball more his first thought was to try and turn his man and go forward. Normally he got kicked up in the air but if he did beat his man we were breaking on the opposition and Lee , Bannan Reach could move forward to support him. 

This is why defenders kicked FF but back off Hooper because they know they have time to get back in position 

26 minutes ago, Andrew Robinson said:

Actually, we must have had at least 6 opportunities yesterday when Westwood had the ball and Fletcher and Hooper were one on one quite well up. Had to be worth a punt or two but no, after holding it and looking several times he went for the slow option. Supporters around me were shouting for him to release it and get the ball up front (best done quickly through midfield not  just always a long kick). Although Forestieri and Jao are our best pace options, the general pace was appalling although we still had sufficient opportunities to score at least one more goal.

I was more referring to that if Forestieri or Joao aint on the pitch. Dont think Westwood even contemplates the quick ball forward. 

That has to come from Carlos.

Edited by pazowl55

Pace frightens teams. I bet even if he couldn't kick for toffee, Usain Bolt could still offer something as a professional footballer. Actually, we had just that in JJ. Yes, he was 80% ineffective but on his day was a joy to watch...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cardiff05 said:

Watching the Hull v Forest game, and a forest player kept charging forward at pace, causing havoc, beating players with trickery and speed of foot and the commentator said "that's what Forest do so well, they turn defence into attack, so quickly" 

Then I think of how Wednesday play, but I did remember Jack Hunt charging 60 yards at speed, only to pass it to someone who passed it back, and that player passed it back and within seconds we were back to where Jack Hunt started his run.

This passing it back and across the back, is just so boring and must have been drilled into the players. Long season ahead. 

Lack of pace in the team means we cannot break quick as a team 

8 hours ago, wilyfox said:

I know. It's very sad. DC clearly had a romantic idea of continental football, however, can't help but feel Gray would have been far more effective than Carlos, given the resources.

Gray had the knack of getting the best out of what he had.

We were hard to break down and let’s not kid ourselves, the footy often wasn’t great to watch but we were solid.  The players were fit, well drilled and worked for each other.

When he got the opportunity to work with players who had quality they performed well and made a difference - Wickham and McGugan cases in point.

The longer this current situation goes on the clearer it becomes we have missed a huge opportunity. 

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

8 hours ago, wilyfox said:

I know. It's very sad. DC clearly had a romantic idea of continental football, however, can't help but feel Gray would have been far more effective than Carlos, given the resources.

The way things are this season good old Stu was more effective than Carlos even without the resources.

1 hour ago, Onge said:

Pace frightens teams. I bet even if he couldn't kick for toffee, Usain Bolt could still offer something as a professional footballer. Actually, we had just that in JJ. Yes, he was 80% ineffective but on his day was a joy to watch...

Ironically JJ is exactly the type of winger we need right now. Or an Antonio 

They don’t have to be that great just someone with pace to run into space, drag the opposition defences about and move the play up the field quicker

9 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

And here’s another depressing stat... 

In the last 18 league/play off matches we have scored more than once in just 4 games

What was Chansiri saying about attacking entertaining football when he arrived?

For a team going for promotion this is an awful stat.  If we had the best defensive players in the league, like Brighton did last season, then scoring so few goals in games might be alright. But the players we have will always concede goals, as shown yesterday.  Right now we seem to be set up to just keep possession for as long as possible and hope the opposites can’t score a goal in 90 minutes of football. 

Just been watching MOTD and the highlights of the Leicester v Everton match. What a first goal by Leicester. Started off as an Everton free kick then Demarai Grey got hold of it, took off at great speed to the other end,  ball gets crossed in and Vardy scores. We could never score a goal like that and we'd stand no chance of defending one either. If that had been us the attacking player would have to stop halfway up the pitch to wait for team mates to catch up. Then ball would probably be passed back or round in circles. Just like what happened yesterday with Jack Hunt. 

During Saturdays game, in the 1st half, Fletcher got the ball 35 yds from goal and just did not have the pace to leave the defenders, in fact a midfielder caught up with him.

Pace is the ONLY thing that frightens defences.

For some unexplained reason, kickaball, does not like Pace, Power or Purpose ion his team.