Carlos and the Chairman

45 minutes ago, Gingernuts said:

I want to support Sheffield Wednesday Football club, just like I have done passionately for 56 years. I don’t want to support an indulgence of a Wealthy person who wishes to change the whole culture of the club.  I want to arrive at Hillsborough, not the Chansiri Stadium, and see posters of famous victories and past heroes. I don’t want to see golden elephants and Chairman Mao type giant posters. I don’t want my beloved club run by a bully, a narcissist, a control-freak or an ego maniac. Jesus wept. Is that asking too much?

The phrase be careful what you wish for is currently haunting me about this situation 

During the Gray/Mandaric days I was praying that we’d be bought by a wealthy (foreign) owner and finally have a foreign coach who made us play more entertaining football 

I remember when the news was confirmed we’d been sold to that Azerbajiany geezer that I celebrated in work coz I thought finally we were going to go places.  Then again when Chansiri took over 

Now those dreams are feeling like a nightmare and I am missing the days when all we had to worry about was if our star striker Nuhiu would be able to hit the target during the next game or not. 

Depressing times 

Edited by Southie_Owl

1 hour ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

That's a fair point about Chansiri. He can't be faulted for putting in the money and it's rare for owners to stick by their manager for so long. But some of the things he's done such as bringing in Doyen, plastering himself over the kits and stadium, pricing fans out and taking away the club's identity is unforgivable.

We can still sort things out and turn things around, if changes are made on and off the pitch, regardless of whether Carlos stays or goes. But the longer nothing is done, except for talk and excuses, the more chance that this season will be written off and we're have to rebuild in the summer. There are managers and head coaches out there. I would go for a up and coming British or foreign manager. Paul Hurst would be my choice or someone similar. I also think that Doyen need getting rid of and Chansiri needs help from some experienced footballing people, like Howard Wilkinson for example, as director of football or adviser.

I agree with you but my worry would be that Doyen would be whom DC turned to for a new manager, and we'd probably end up with a non-British manager. My own preference would be Dean Smith as he's done well over a number of years on very limited budgets.

Just now, Beauchief Owl said:

I agree with you but my worry would be that Doyen would be whom DC turned to for a new manager, and we'd probably end up with a non-British manager. My own preference would be Dean Smith as he's done well over a number of years on very limited budgets.

I'm going to keep saying it- Paolo Fonseca from Shakhtar Donetsk will be our next boss if the Doyen connections are as strong as speculated- that's my best guess anyway.

9 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Yeah, with Carlos on the books of Doyen, it wouldn't be surprising if they recommended Carlos and if and when Carlos eventually goes, Chansiri will probably seek another foreign coach through them. Another foreign coach might work but there's the danger of nothing changing if Doyen are kept and the same mistakes are made. I think we need different ideas and someone different to freshen things up. Such as a decent up and coming British manager. Dean Smith is a decent shout because just like Paul Heckingbottom, he's done well despite a small budget and constantly losing his best players. Someone like that or Paul Hurst, would be a good option to freshen things up or someone more experienced and strong minded like Mick McCarthy for example. I'd go for Paul Hurst with a experienced director of football.

Edited by Mr. Wednesday

Just now, Mr. Wednesday said:

Yeah, with Carlos on the books of Doyen, it wouldn't be surprising if they recommended Carlos and if and when Carlos eventually goes, Chansiri will probably seek another foreign coach through them. Another foreign coach might work but there's the danger of nothing changing if Doyen are kept and the same mistakes are made. I think we need different ideas and someone different to freshen things up. Such as a decent up and coming British manager. Dean Smith is a decent shout because just like Paul Heckingbottom, he's done well despite a small budget and constantly losing his best players. Someone like that or Paul Hurst, would be a good option to freshen things up or someone more experienced and strong minded like Mick McCarthy for example.

The problem the club have is totally down to contractual agreements. Doyen, CC, backroom staff and so on. If you are going remove one, you remove the lot. DC doesn't appear to have been well advised or why would this be allowed to happen. I want CC out like the vast majority, but, the cost and who actually would be available to replace at the  drop of an hat to  replace him, you then have  the complete backroom staff. That incidentally was a smart move by CC. We also have the player issue. Vastly overrated and paid.squad Not easy to get shot of. DC as a major headache that's why he just isn't in a position to change anything yet. What can he realistically do when he knows sod all about the club and the game. Very worrying times ahead.

12 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

I'm going to keep saying it- Paolo Fonseca from Shakhtar Donetsk will be our next boss if the Doyen connections are as strong as speculated- that's my best guess anyway.

Hope you're wrong Rumlelows, but your reasoning is sound. Joe Palmer come from Shakhtar, look how that's turned out.  

11 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

He's Portuguese and he's managed a few clubs for short spells like Carlos. If we keep Doyen and replace Carlos with someone similar, we might repeat the same mistakes. We need change and fresh ideas, not a like for like replacement. I would scrap Doyen, get rid of them of them and Carlos, and bring in someone like Paul Hurst and a experienced director of football.

Perhaps DC is waiting for Doyen to get CC lined up with another club, and sorting out a severance package for a Doyen client-manager working elsewhere.

In the absence of a CEO at Hillsborough and DC's lack for understanding and experience in football business, I have to conclude all business matters at SWFC are being run by Doyen. 

4 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

The problem the club have is totally down to contractual agreements. Doyen, CC, backroom staff and so on. If you are going remove one, you remove the lot. DC doesn't appear to have been well advised or why would this be allowed to happen. I want CC out like the vast majority, but, the cost and who actually would be available to replace at the  drop of an hat to  replace him, you then have  the complete backroom staff. That incidentally was a smart move by CC. We also have the player issue. Vastly overrated and paid.squad Not easy to get shot of. DC as a major headache that's why he just isn't in a position to change anything yet. What can he realistically do when he knows sod all about the club and the game. Very worrying times ahead.

It will be costly to get rid of Carlos, his staff and Doyen but it needs to be done. We need the feel good factor and our identity back. A fresh approach and different ideas are needed to freshen things up. That's why I would go for a up and coming British manager like Paul Hurst and appoint a experienced footballing man as a director of football to advise Chansiri. The problems are deep but a appointment of a Wednesday fan from Sheffield, who is on the rise and doing well in League 1 might be what we need to revitalise us, in a similar way to Wilder for the Pigs.

Personally, I have no major issues with how the chairman is running the club. Including those flags with his face on it. This isn’t Blackburn, or a dictatorship. I think if he read some of those comments he would be deeply upset. He is just trying to make this work and yes he has made a few mistakes along the way but this is a massive challenge for him and for us. We have only had success since he got here and this blip (albeit quite a major one) is showing many up to be spoilt brats. 

DC will not accept this level of results for that long but he isn’t one for knee jerk reactions so we need to trust him. We have to. If not we will just cry and whinge until he walks away, and then we really are screwed. 

I just think we need to accept this season isn’t working, get behind the lads, and be dignified about our position. 

UTO