Constructive SWFC Team Suggestions

Assuming that you cannot change the manager (Carlos) and had to work with the same (fit) players that we currently have for the rest of the season, what would you suggest to Carlos (if you had 10 minutes with him) in terms of team selection and tactic that would turn us into play-off contenders again?

Just now, 4evaowl said:

Assuming that you cannot change the manager (Carlos) and had to work with the same (fit) players that we currently have for the rest of the season, what would you suggest to Carlos (if you had 10 minutes with him) in terms of team selection and tactic that would turn us into play-off contenders again?

Do whatever it was that worked in the past two seasons and stop doing what it is that isn’t working this season.

End of thread.

3 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

I'd guess start with 11 players and teach them how to play football, rather than be boringly predictable by sending every single attack down either wing

It is the 4-4-2 that hinders, rather than helps us. As it stands, for me, it is a back 3 (Choose from any of the defenders, but my preference would be Hutch, Lees, Loovens).

Play 5 in midfield, Butterfield, Bannan and Lee centrally, and Mattias and Reach right and left respectively.

Hoops and Joao up top for me.

Changes in the starting eleven need to be made, and I would not be averse to giving Matt Penney a run out. The side at the moment is flat, stilted and not under any pressure from the rest of the squad.

Carlos either changes personnel, or the current majority starting eleven will just get worse.

• Haha 1

Not sure we have the players in the squad to complete - we need two new midfielders; center and wide right and full backs could be improved.

failing this, lets have a look at a different formation to get the centre more combative and creative.

Pace is desperately needed, bu other than Matias not sure we have any.

5 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Before we disband the squad, let's see them with a decent manager.

This.

Its got to the stage where the players must be questioning every instruction. Hooper was gesticulating to Carlos all aft.

When Carlos called Bannan over to give him instruction mid- match I found myself thinking FFS just ignore whatever he tells you Baz.

Carlos is utterly shot, and so are the team if we don't act now.

5 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

Football is always adapting, tactics from 2 years ago don't work as well. Teams have learnt how to play against us.

I'd go with 3 at the back, as I suggested before the start of the season.

Westwood

Lees-Hutchinson-Van Aken

Hunt-Lee-Bannan-Reach

Boyd

Hooper-Fletcher

A couple of those players are currently injured, so could slot Loovens in for Hutch and Wallace in for Boyd for now. Of long-term injured Abdi and Foresteri would come into the frame for attacking midfield role when fit as well. 

2 minutes ago, Animis said:

Not sure we have the players in the squad to complete - we need two new midfielders; center and wide right and full backs could be improved.

failing this, lets have a look at a different formation to get the centre more combative and creative.

Pace is desperately needed, bu other than Matias not sure we have any.

So why do most people on here keep posting that we have this great squad that should be top 2 but for the manager 

By the way I agree with you although a change of system could definitely help 

Try something different, it isn't working what you are doing!

Drop some of your favourites like Wallace and get some pace in the team, it might not work but doing the same over and over again and expecting different is insanity!

Westwood

Hunt

Lees

Loovens

Fox

Matias

Lee 

Bannan

Reach

Hooper

Joao

A different formation would be even better but can't see that happening. 

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

So why do most people on here keep posting that we have this great squad that should be top 2 but for the manager 

By the way I agree with you although a change of system could definitely help 

I agree - i don't think we have a top 2 squad - some great individual players, some ageing ones and some of these go missing when the going gets tough. Our defence is indecisive and strikers mobile, 

We seem to have players who individual would be good in one of around three or four formations, but collectively not in the same one.

Anything.  Why don't we ape the great Hungarian side. 

Anything. Anything.                  

Westwood

Lees                         Van Aken

Hunt                       Butterfield                       Reach

Lee          Hooper                 Bannan

Joao                                                                                     Matias 

I’d go 4-3-3 from January with the full backs providing the width. So in essence, I would move Rhodes and Nuhiu on in January as I think clubs would be interested in them. I would bring in 2 attacking wingers with pace to freshen this team up - they will compete with Nando.  I would use Hooper, Joao and Fletcher for the sole central attacker role. I would bring in a top physical defensive midfielder to compete with Hutchinson allowing Lee and Bannan to pay their natural games.

I don’t know what I would do now as we have been left with an unbalanced squad with no pace, movement or physicality. Plus Nando is injured which is a big blow.

Edited by Bouncing Owl

Think fresh injection of life is required. If we have any pace and or energy in reserves they need to be drafted into first team squad. We have a one half tea. We often complain we start slow. Today we started better but in second half the team had gone and we were lucky to hang on. Looking at the as a unit either they are;

1..unfit

2 .not prepared properly

3.they do not have athletic requirements for this division..

You can put whatever formation you want forward and still have to overcome above.

Guest RedDragonOwl

More aggression, close the opposition down faster. We don't seem to hit teams on the counter like we did in the first season, so we need pace. And play the final ball when we're in the oppositions final third...quicker.  

Edited by RedDragonOwl