Thinking out loud - Wednesday at 150 years and the state of modern football

Sorry to add to all the rest of the negativity / 'reality checking'...

It started with the ticket prices, then the badge then that awful kit last season - then all the Thai flags strewn everywhere, an elephant at the main entrance, then being instructed to pay homage to the Thai king... nagging doubts.

But in my head the trade off was "we'll get to the prem though - the promised land..."

And we haven't done. And the football has become as bad as it was under Dave Jones's last few months.

But then, thinking out loud, Ive wondered what it will be like even IF we were in the Prem this time next year?

The reality is even higher ticket prices - and then there is the possibility of a flat pack stadium, half and half scarves, endless seasons of mediocrity or survival fights in a premier league that is in fact a two tier division.

Then what? New stadium? The end of stripes forever? Colour changes? 

Honestly, I cannot see the point. This is not what the Wednesday club was founded for. 

I do think credit where its due, Sheffield United seem to be retaining their identity and moving forward. But like us, the Prem offers little long term for provincial medium sized clubs. Also, they too have issues around ownership (a Saudi prince and the club legally separated from the grpund).

Its for this reason I look at the likes of FC United and AFC Liverpool and can see why fans set them up.

Edited by CEOwl