Frustrating. 

Did see one burst of pace today. 

That bit When Hunt bust his cajones,  burst 65 yards down the pitch...and jad ro wait 40 seconds for the nearest of our lads  to support him.... Barnsley had time to 11 men back on what should have been q great chance for us and we ended passing the ball all the way back into our half.

14 minutes ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Slowest team in the league. 

Anyone who has played football EVER at any level knows that you absolutely hate playing against people with pace. Barnsley had pace and broke well at times, those transition periods can completely change games. 

Like someone said above, bar one or two instances we always turn around and allow the opposition to settle. 

Spot on. Even Bolton were trying to break with pace and taking on full backs. It’s so simple. We’re too easy to play against.  Hoops link up play is great but we’ve got another 4 on the pitch doing the same. I’m not saying Jaoa is that good but we really needed him on for 30 minutes and the last few when the penny’s dropped. 

1 hour ago, pgmetcalf said:

We had pace with JJ and It didn't work. The trouble is the rest of the team can't keep up. I'm waiting for the pride and passion comments too

JJ had no or very little quality around him, thats the difference.

We do have enough quality in this squad but they are all too similar and can only play one way.

You have to have a quick striker or winger, ideally one of each. 

When the possession football isn't working you go more direct and stick the quicker players on.

Guest wilyfox

I commend Carlos for assembling a technical side, but this is English football. There's an athletic requirement to succeed in the game over here. Pace...physical presence... Has been completely ignored - and it shows. 

38 minutes ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

JJ had no or very little quality around him, thats the difference.

We do have enough quality in this squad but they are all too similar and can only play one way.

You have to have a quick striker or winger, ideally one of each. 

When the possession football isn't working you go more direct and stick the quicker players on.

Or you mix it up and attack with variety and expose weaknesses.  I’m all for playing good football, but hoops, Fletch, Reach and wallace, although all good individually, together they’re too easy to play against. 

2 minutes ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

Or you mix it up and attack with variety and expose weaknesses.  I’m all for playing good football, but hoops, Fletch, Reach and wallace, although all good individually, together they’re too easy to play against. 

The Leeds performance shows we can win games with possession.

But

We have to have other ways of playing, the lack of pace and power means we are stuck to one way.

2 hours ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

It’s been said on here time and again but I’m walking out of another match now just angry. We can pass it around as much as we want, make half chances, play good passing football, but until we can break without needing 5 passes to hold up the ball and bring others into play because we can’t get past defenders with pace we will still be feeling like this.  

You're spot on mate but...Save your breath

2 hours ago, pgmetcalf said:

We had pace with JJ and It didn't work. The trouble is the rest of the team can't keep up. I'm waiting for the pride and passion comments too

I like the reasoning here because JJ was crap we don't want pace:wacko:

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

I commend Carlos for assembling a technical side, but this is English football. There's an athletic requirement to succeed in the game over here. Pace...physical presence... Has been completely ignored - and it shows. 

Perfectly put..ive been a massive supporter of the portugal experiment but the championship is a different beast..this league is so unforgiving if you dont get it right...we have a very good team in there.. it just needs to reclick

3 minutes ago, BIG D said:

I don't think United have any more pace than us?

They just move the ball about a lot faster and are far more positive (and with inferior players)

Whether they do or not (and I think they probably do) they are not frightened to attack defenders at pace. Like you say ‘more positive’.  It doesn’t work every time to check a run and feed the ball back.  This is coached, someone said earlier the Portuguese experiment, it just isn’t working. I’d go further and say that now it’s so predicatable it’s not going to work. Possession is important but it’s not everything and if it means allowing defenders to get behind thenball then it’s the wrong tactic. 

2 minutes ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

Whether they do or not (and I think they probably do) they are not frightened to attack defenders at pace. Like you say ‘more positive’.  It doesn’t work every time to check a run and feed the ball back.  This is coached, someone said earlier the Portuguese experiment, it just isn’t working. I’d go further and say that now it’s so predicatable it’s not going to work. Possession is important but it’s not everything and if it means allowing defenders to get behind thenball then it’s the wrong tactic. 

I can't think of any individual pace they have?

Sharp

Clarke

Fleck

Coutts

Duffy

The defenders are no more mobile than us and most of our pace comes from Hunt.

The lad Brookes is absolute quality and gives them a bit when he comes on

3 minutes ago, BIG D said:

I can't think of any individual pace they have?

Sharp

Clarke

Fleck

Coutts

Duffy

The defenders are no more mobile than us and most of our pace comes from Hunt.

The lad Brookes is absolute quality and gives them a bit when he comes on

I’ve only seen them when they played us so will accept what you’re saying. The Brookes lad skinned us a few times and maybe the rest probably looked sharper because they’re coached to attack with purpose. 

7 minutes ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

I’ve only seen them when they played us so will accept what you’re saying. The Brookes lad skinned us a few times and maybe the rest probably looked sharper because they’re coached to attack with purpose. 

I think that's it tbh

39 minutes ago, BIG D said:

I don't think United have any more pace than us?

They just move the ball about a lot faster and are far more positive (and with inferior players)

They have greater energy, for certain our team struggle to function for more than 45 minutes. They have players constantly making runs this wears down the opposition. In my opinion only Reach, Lee and Hunt have energy levels which would compare with United. Bannan has energy but too lightweight and no real pace which is required.