It just seems daft!

As a non-Sheffielder driving through the city and listening to the radio phone-in, this George Hurst business seems bizarre.  I’m a Leeds fan and there were some rumours linking him with us and at the time, I thought why on earth would Wednesday even consider letting him go? Yes, money talks in football but surely not as loudly as that?

Just now, Rusholme Ruffian said:

As a non-Sheffielder driving through the city and listening to the radio phone-in, this George Hurst business seems bizarre.  I’m a Leeds fan and there were some rumours linking him with us and at the time, I thought why on earth would Wednesday even consider letting him go? Yes, money talks in football but surely not as loudly as that?

it's Hirst  as in the great David 

complicated issue this and will get worse when he leaves 

basically our chairman thinks nothing of spaffing 10m on a player and thousands a week on squad fillers but wont pay the price to keep a home grown gem this us a dark moment imo 

2 hours ago, steelowl said:

it's Hirst  as in the great David 

complicated issue this and will get worse when he leaves 

basically our chairman thinks nothing of spaffing 10m on a player and thousands a week on squad fillers but wont pay the price to keep a home grown gem this us a dark moment imo 

Perfectly put 

• Thanks 1

I think its impossible to take sides in this contract dispute as none of us know the details.

Would be a big blow for us to lose him being son of a Wednesday great if he goes on to have a brilliant career. 

But wouldnt be first time a young players gets carried away with his reputation, is badly advised and asking too much.

If this was happening under previous regimes there'd be uproar - we seem to tolerate the lack of clarity and information from the club.

Can't imagine this situation going on at the Lane. They'd be milking the possibility of a home-grown starlet, son of a legend and England prospect becoming a first team member. Can you imagine the marketing they'd be doing - his face would be all over merchandise. We should be milking him and every under 15 fan should have posters on him and aspiring to be him.

We've essentially air-brushed him out of our history. 

All this badly advised guff is rounduns..one good 4 year comtract could set him up for life..hes got nothing to lose..he will go to leicester..even if he never gets a game or scores a goal..at 22 he will have loads in the bank and he can restart his career at a rham or rochdale or summat

25 minutes ago, Ronseal said:

All this badly advised guff is rounduns..one good 4 year comtract could set him up for life..hes got nothing to lose..he will go to leicester..even if he never gets a game or scores a goal..at 22 he will have loads in the bank and he can restart his career at a rham or rochdale or summat

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/video-doubts-grow-over-george-hirst-s-sheffield-wednesday-future-after-he-rejects-long-term-contract-1-8825664

Is it just me or does anyone else think it would be crazy to offer a young unproven at first team level player, a first team wage?

Like many I had this romantic idea of watching him pull on the number 9 shirt and start banging goals in for Wednesday at the Kop end like I grew up watching his dad do but the club cannot be held to ransom, especially by a youth team player who might not even develop into the player some on here seem to think he will.

Come January we’d be best seeing what fee we can get for him and making sure there’s a decent sell on clause.

• Thanks 1

I guess the problem is it sounds like we have had some relatively big offers for him; over one million plus if the rumours are true which we have turned down. So in effect we are saying he is a multi million pound player. At which point he can then turn around and say well if that’s what you value me at pay me the going rate for a player of that value.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think it would be crazy to offer a young unproven at first team level player, a first team wage?

Like many I had this romantic idea of watching him pull on the number 9 shirt and start banging goals in for Wednesday at the Kop end like I grew up watching his dad do but the club cannot be held to ransom, especially by a youth team player who might not even develop into the player some on here seem to think he will.

Come January we’d be best seeing what fee we can get for him and making sure there’s a decent sell on clause.

Agreed. As I said in another thread this isn't Roy of the Rovers or Billy Whizz

2 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

I guess the problem is it sounds like we have had some relatively big offers for him; over one million plus if the rumours are true which we have turned down. So in effect we are saying he is a multi million pound player. At which point he can then turn around and say well if that’s what you value me at pay me the going rate for a player of that value.

Or we're hoping that he'll change his mind even at the last minute and sign the contract