Has Anyone Else Written This Season Off Already

2 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

Excellent post I'm very worried too , I've been saying this even when we were wining games on pitch . Forest and derby did similar blew a lot of money , forest ended up ffp .and derby have had to sell assets Hughes 8m hendrick 10m Ince 12m to head off ffp .but those 2 clubs are nowhere near badly run on and off pitch as us at minute . Fire sale in January I predict .

I have a sinking feeling that we are heading for a fall.

16th position is far closer to 22nd than it is to 6th, ask me again if and when we get into the top half of the table. Teams don’t have a god given right to finish in the top 6th every season, we have been found out, so should not be so boringly predictable, time to get crafty Carlos. :carlos:

Unless there is a change in personnel in the dugout, I cannot see this pattern of results or style of play changing.

But it would also take a strong proven replacement at this point not a relative novice to the division.

Big Sam or Gary Megson - or even Pardew.

5 hours ago, s6 owl said:

Really? They were bottom of the table and probably should have come away with 3 points. Had we lost that game it would have been another terrible performance the win papered over the cracks that have now become unmissable 

yes really ...I thought it was a good game and to have a good game usually needs 2 teams playing well .

53 minutes ago, Andoverowl said:

Why do people keep banging on about the playoffs, with this squad we should be aiming for auto's.

Because we're in a thread where people are apparently giving serious consideration to giving up on the entire season.

The context of our recent run of poor form seems to be entirely lost on some people.  

We're 5 points from the playoff positions with 75% of the season yet to be played.  People need to get a grip.

Edited by Indoor Owl

Have not wrote the season off...

wont ever until it’s mathematically impossible to get in autos or playoffs...Positive thinking lol!!

cant help it always have that hopefull feeling when a Wednesday fan because I want us to do well like any fan does.. 

doesnt stop the frustration, stress, alcohol drinking and emotional rollercoaster though!!!!

18 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

There's not else forrit. Everyone kill themselves now

That's what I like to see. Onwards and upwards in the time of need. Seriously, have there been any positives or any light seen at the end of the tunnel during these past few weeks. The manager coming out with stupid comments, fans fighting, a certain player last season refusing to play, serious suggestions the chairman sorts out player recruitment. This mess isn't going to get fixed overnight neither did it start overnight. The whole Sheffield Wednesday experience is a complete shambles.

The longer Carlos stays, yes. The play offs are not insurmountable, but only with a change of management.

I've given up any expectation of promotion, or looking at the bigger picture. Trying to enjoy each game on its merit, which has been very difficult, bar a couple.

I'm afraid I agree with what a few previous posters have said. I don't believe some of the players are good enough. We've had more or less the same team now for three seasons and they've failed to get autos in the last two.

The defence isn't good enough. Fans have been calling for the return of Loovens but then he got caught out with his obvious lack of pace and resorted to bringing the man down. Van Aken could be a good prospect but still looks raw. Venancio - who knows. Another one of those mystery signings that we never see. Full backs? Hunt is inconsistent. Pudil is too slow. Fox? Who knows? Keeps getting left out for a winger. Would like to see Hutch back in defence but can't see it happening with all the other signings we've made. I remember Brighton's defence last season. They were like a brick wall. Ours never looks like that. It's more like a leaking tap.

Midfield. We have a lot of creativity but no steel. And nowhere near enough goal scorers. That to me is one of our major problems. Reach is yet to score. Wallace has one. Bannan none in league and Lee has two? We're relying too much on the strikers. And Fletcher keeps misfiring. 

I don't know what to think to be honest. Is it the way they're set up? We need some pace and some goal scorers. Perhaps he should play Mattias, Joao, Venancio and Butterfield (who does at least have a cracking shot on him and can get it on target). Let's see what they're capable of. 

With regards to season. Autos are surely gone. We're already too far behind. Play offs are possible but I  like others am getting the sense that this is going to be a make or break season. If we don't achieve we need to get some players sold and bring in some new blood and rebuild this squad. If that doesn't happen, I can just see us becoming a mid-table team at best. I'm not angry, I'm just really disappointed. 

As another thread states, we are still only a few points off the play off positions, a bit of a blessing as in previous seasons we may have been cut adrift from the pack.

I like Carlos and will be genuinely sad to see him go, however I feel that rightly or wrongly he isn't taking responsibility and looking to bounce back, instead he's blaming refereeing decisions etc

Im not saying he isn't partly justified, but I just get the feeling that if we stay under CC's management our season will fade away with a whimper while pointing the finger of blame at others and feeling sorry for ourselves.

In my opinion we need to change the manager. We need to take this season by the scruff of its neck and shake it. We need the short sharp shock treatment

to get the positivity back into the club, a new voice in the changing room, a fresh approach on the training ground and tactically. When Dave Jones took over from Megson it had the same effect. That effect can be repeated.Only while there's still time though.

Is CC a bad manager? No. You don't become a manager at this level of football without having ability. No manager in this league is a bad manager. However managers have a shelf life, where they start off with impact, which fades away eventually and change is needed. For some managers that's weeks, others years. But CC has reached his sell by date. He will no doubt go on to manage another club, become the 'new broom that sweeps clean' and be a success initially, and I will be pleased for him. However we need our new broom now, before the dust of this season suffocates us.

Edited by Tudders

Yes. It has been so disappointing it's unreal. Made worse because the Grunters are doing so well...

if we we got rid of CC, then I'd have more confidence l but I don't see that happening. Surely we can't get any worse?!

8 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

I was expecting top two this season

I wrote that off after the first 5 or 6 games

Unless we have a massive change of fortune, we’re looking at lower mid table

It happens, Brighton missed out on promotion, they then narrowly missed getting relegated, before failing again against us, then kicking on

We haven’t got anywhere near enough goal scorers in the team

If Hooper gets injured, we’re fecked

This. Apart from Lee our midfield is poor, I'm a fan of Bazza but he's two key aspects of his game lacking which are tackling and can't shoot for toffee. Wallace is past his best and Reach, well half the time he's a chuffing left back. 

We need some pacey, powerful wide men and someone who can take the game by the scruff of the neck in midfield to partner Lee/Bazza. 

Personally I think we've got the options in the squad to improve on our weaknesses cos at the moment we're just not that good. The likes of Abdi, Matias, Joao can add a goal threat and a little pace, Abdi if played correctly can add that extra goal threat. 

There was a poster who placed a graph on here charting how we did against last year and what was rquired to gain promotion. Although the points can vary slightly their is a rough average where you have to be to stand a chance. I think a few posters need to look at that and realise how far we are off what a normal season would be. It would be nice if there was something to hang onto but one spirited performance with ten men is hardly likely to be it. We played in same fashion as normal a slow start and behind in first 15 minutes. I am not looking forward to games at the moment.

7 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Fwiw I honestly think things started to decline on and off the pitch when Paul Aldridge left, I believe this is the time DC started getting bad advice, recruitment went down the pan as did performances on the pitch.

I think your spot on. I was also puzzled as to why he left I know he was Milans man but his experience could have invaluable to DC

Edited by Jakes Grandad