Derby County vs Sheffield Wednesday - OMDT

14 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

Curious as to what CC did wrong today.

Please enlighten us.

also, its the same tactics over and over again. Battled hard today, but we are not scoring many and we are conceding too many. Same tactics, same play, same results. We have a good squad, but its the way we play.

1 minute ago, Indoor Owl said:

We didn't really start that poor:  Our captain was off on a red with a goal conceded on the penalty in the first three minutes.

Are you suggesting that was somehow part of Carlos' pre-game plan?

As for what we did right today:  Anyone who actually watched the game could see that despite playing Derby away, and down to 10 men, we were creating chances and looked fantastic in possession.

Fletcher missed yet another set of goal scoring opportunities and we had some very ridiculous non-calls by the officials.

It's literally not hard at all to find positives - we played a fantastic game given the circumstances.

We didn’t start that poor? Derby tore us apart.

Had Loovens not made that challenge there’s a very very good chance that Derby would still have scored. 

Look at how many times we go behind before we start playing. That is consistent. The defensive issues so apparent in Carlos’ first season haven’t been addressed

Carlos changed the tactics after we went behind, granted it was forced, so who’s not to say that had Loovens stayed on we’d have still conceded and still lost?

Guest Copthorneowl

So many been clamouring for Loovens to be back in the team.

Completely fail to understand this ....yes he's been a good defender, yes he makes Lee look more comfortable, and probably yes we perhaps look more solid at the back defensively at times but..........

He is completely past it he's very very slow to tackle, to close players down, ,to run with the ball, and his distribution as well as never being forwards completely stifles any chance of a speedy attack or counterattack., he's simply at the end of his career at this level and should not be an option imo.

Van Acken has been pulled for his poor tackling, poor sense of positioning however he is in the John Stones class for bringing the ball out of defence and setting up attacks, we should be able to get more out of him.

If Van is regarded as not good enough we go to Hutch or the other new guy we bought but or even Pudil but please not Glen Loovens who is a great club captain and really well liked by many on here but he's past it a bit like a channel ferry turning in a canal lets get a grip on what is not a difficult problem.  The way we have neglected purchasing a decent CD is the biggest mistake we've made imo.

Every team gets bad decisions for and against, sick of bleating on about it. Fortune favours the brave and we are not brave enough. 

Today was unfortunate and a non starter, to lose a player so early defines the game, however this game is not the isolated reason our season is going down the shittter.

Edited by striker

12 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

Curious as to what CC did wrong today.

Please enlighten us.

Did he not pick todays team? the midfield that couldn't fight its way out of a paper bag? Picks a left back that cant get in the 18 normally, leaves the only player with any pace on the bench . Hope this helps. I dont shout for him to be sacked but he is running out of excuses . Hope this enlightens you

4 minutes ago, mr moody said:

well, for a start. He brought 2 central defenders in to replace an ageing loovens. Then left them both out to bring a fit again loovens straight back into the side. If they arent as good as loovens then what was the point of bringing them in?

I think that now proves beyond all doubt that CC doesn't have anything to do with signings. I'm not for minute defending him, but, you bring two necessary players and dont play them. The club is becoming farcical and neither CC nor DC understand what football means to the fans and supporters of Wednesday,. They don't understand the passion for a local derby match nor do they understand the rivalry between us and Leeds Utd. This isn't all about CC or the players, money or no money,  DC at present is doing this club no favours either on or off the pitch. He bought into the club extremely cheaply thinking he would also make money. DC came here not because he likes Wednesday or football for that matter. It was a business what was going cheap and he bought into it to make money.  Now feel free for anyone to slate me.  Folk are still looking at a top 6 finish. I'm more concerned about the likelyhood of a bottom 3 finish. Everything about the club is worrying.

13 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

We didn't really start that poor:  Our captain was off on a red with a goal conceded on the penalty in the first three minutes.

Are you suggesting that was somehow part of Carlos' pre-game plan?

As for what we did right today:  Anyone who actually watched the game could see that despite playing Derby away, and down to 10 men, we were creating chances and looked fantastic in possession.

Fletcher missed yet another set of goal scoring opportunities and we had some very ridiculous non-calls by the officials.

It's literally not hard at all to find positives - we played a fantastic game given the circumstances.

Fantastic ?! Derby were very poor there to be beaten and for all the possession we didnt really create anything did we

30 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

We played a great game today.

Derby away is always tough, much less when you're doing it with 10 men the entire game.

Some very questionable officiating yet again as well.

Fantastic effort.

Exactly what part about 0 (yes, zero!) shots on target and conceding after sending off in 5th minute consitutes a great game... yes, I applaud the effort of giving a roger to play the actual game on the pitch, that's what the players are paid in buckets every week to do. But something is not gelling at the team, and hasn't been all season, and standing up for manager now when we're all off track to make the play offs, is just plain wrong. There is something fundamentally wrong at the club right now; and blaming it on referees doesn't help, it just blinds you to what is wrong with yourself and is a quick band aid to avoid having to deal with a much bigger problem.

2 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

To give us depth at CB because we were incredibly short staffed, to the point where we had Pudil playing as a CB?

And Van Aken has played the last what, six games?  

You're upset because the team's captain got some pitch time?  Grasping at straws with that one.

Not at all mate. My point is we signed central defenders to replace loovens, van aken who to be fair hasnt set the world alight. Wev signed venacio, former club captain and by all accounts a decent player. And we dont give him the chance? wev done the same with others. emmanuellson etc. Why sign them when they wont get a look in?

Not upset that captain got play time. However when we are slipping down the league, why not bring in these these new players instead of sticking with what we have?? Didnt work for us last season, so why is sticking with it gunna work for us this season? League table position backs up what i say tbf my man.

20 minutes ago, heppers said:

I agree. The biggest memory I have of that game was our midfield being dominated.

it was like an older bigger brother holding an outstretched hand on his little brothers head while he swings punches that can't reach.

exactly, it was blatantly obvious what needed to be done to take that next step so whats happening now is the drawback from poor management then and the ensuing pre season, so for me cc just hasnt done the right things, i apologise if he has had no say in recruitment but i seem to recall him saying that he has.

11 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

I think that now proves beyond all doubt that CC doesn't have anything to do with signings. I'm not for minute defending him, but, you bring two necessary players and dont play them. The club is becoming farcical and neither CC nor DC understand what football means to the fans and supporters of Wednesday,. They don't understand the passion for a local derby match nor do they understand the rivalry between us and Leeds Utd. This isn't all about CC or the players, money or no money,  DC at present is doing this club no favours either on or off the pitch. He bought into the club extremely cheaply thinking he would also make money. DC came here not because he likes Wednesday or football for that matter. It was a business what was going cheap and he bought into it to make money.  Now feel free for anyone to slate me.  Folk are still looking at a top 6 finish. I'm more concerned about the likelyhood of a bottom 3 finish. Everything about the club is worrying.

Agree 100%, good post mate

Guest kelliesleftnut
36 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

Completely fail to understand this ....yes he's been a good defender, yes he makes Lee look more comfortable, and probably yes we perhaps look more solid at the back defensively at times but..........

He is completely past it he's very very slow to tackle, to close players down, ,to run with the ball, and his distribution as well as never being forwards completely stifles any chance of a speedy attack or counterattack., he's simply at the end of his career at this level and should not be an option imo.

Van Acken has been pulled for his poor tackling, poor sense of positioning however he is in the John Stones class for bringing the ball out of defence and setting up attacks, we should be able to get more out of him.

If Van is regarded as not good enough we go to Hutch or the other new guy we bought but or even Pudil but please not Glen Loovens who is a great club captain and really well liked by many on here but he's past it a bit like a channel ferry turning in a canal lets get a grip on what is not a difficult problem.  The way we have neglected purchasing a decent CD is the biggest mistake we've made imo.

Got to agree Copthorne, its only a few weeks since he was getting slaughted on here, how some thought he would would solve our defensive concerns I'm not sure.

Surprised to see Loovens starting to be honest, thought if fit he would have turned out for the u23's midweek.

Regarding Van the man I'm sure he will come good but for the supposed £4m I'm sure there is better out there who we wouldn't have to be make excuses for. As for Venancio well who knows.

Just highlights further our p1sspoor recruitment policy.

54 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

Loovens is getting on a bit but we have always looked better with him organising the defence. Unfortunately today he made a mistake, I'm not going to criticise him for that, he's been out injured and needs games to get match fit, these things happen. We've been losing with him not in the side, If he made that mistake after he'd got a few games under his belt it would be different. 

Guest Copthorneowl
6 minutes ago, kelliesleftnut said:

Got to agree Copthorne, its only a few weeks since he was getting slaughted on here, how some thought he would would solve our defensive concerns I'm not sure.

Surprised to see Loovens starting to be honest, thought if fit he would have turned out for the u23's midweek.

Regarding Van the man I'm sure he will come good but for the supposed £4m I'm sure there is better out there who we wouldn't have to be make excuses for. As for Venancio well who knows.

Just highlights further our p1sspoor recruitment policy.

Youve articulated my thoughts better than I can.