SWFC Midfield

What can we actually change in midfield?

Can we put in 3 cm?

Actually play real wingers as wingers?

Play a 4 - 3 -3?

4 - 5 -1

and we know wh have loads of attacking power how about something like 3 - 4- 3?

I dont know, what do you think?

The midfield is our weak link IMO - it's where the energy and creativity should be, but we are often too deep and too narrow trying to crowd out the opposition to limited effect.

We don't have any real wingers - not any with pace anyhow. FF and Matias are the nearest to this but are considered a luxury by CC.

I'd like to see a dominant ball-winning midfielder brought in the January window, to partner Bannan and push Lee out on the right, in a sort of John Harkes role.

I think Reach struggles to play the attacking left wing back role, leaving gaps down our left which the opposition have exploited. To be fair to Reach, I think most would struggle to cover so much ground. Therefore, we either have to play Reach in a 3-5-2, or 4-4-2 at left back or wide left midfield to ensure we have the cover, 

Problem is that our midfield is packed to keep it compact - supposedly. This forces the opposition out wide which often outnumbers our fullbacks or they are left stranded from a foray upfield. The lack of a disciplined DCM to cover is my main concern, has been since the playoff final season.

Our Midfield is our weak point. We have very little, strength, pace or power and the only real creative player we have who could possibly take the step up is FF (and possibly Lee).

I'm afraid Bannon, Matias, Butterfield, Wallace, Jones, Hutchinson et al will cost us this year and every year until it is addressed.

Edited by Fuzzy logics

2 hours ago, Fuzzy logics said:

Our Midfield is our weak point. We have very little, strength, pace or power and the only real creative player we have who could possibly take the step up is FF (and possibly Lee).

I'm afraid Bannon, Matias, Butterfield, Wallace, Jones, Hutchinson et al will cost us this year and every year until it is addressed.

Bannan has been trying to create things and apart from Hooper has easily been our best player this season.

Agree we need to address it, I think we can do it by playing 41212

Westwood

Hunt       Lees    Loovens   Pudil

Hutchinson

Lee           Bannan  

Reach

Hooper   Fletcher

This would rely on Hutch being disciplined, full backs getting forward which the do and Reach would have a licence to roam 

4 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

Agree we need to address it, I think we can do it by playing 41212

Westwood

Hunt       Lees    Loovens   Pudil

Hutchinson

Lee           Bannan  

Reach

Hooper   Fletcher

This would rely on Hutch being disciplined, full backs getting forward which the do and Reach would have a licence to roam 

FF for Reach

2 minutes ago, debram said:

FF for Reach

When fit it'd be 2 great options for that position but he'll have to earn a spot back in the team when he does return

Just now, Ash76 said:

When fit it'd be 2 great options for that position but he'll have to earn a spot back in the team when he does return

agree FF needs to earn his place back but that is not the position for Reach, in fact not sure what is because he cant defend, tackle, and lacks pace.

The midfield was our weakest link last year, and it's exact same this year. We don't win headers, we don't press, we can't tackle, we faff about with the ball, we provide ZERO width. If it wasn't for Hooper we'd be in bottom 3. Maybe your Bannan and Lee aren't as good as what we think

2 minutes ago, debram said:

agree FF needs to earn his place back but that is not the position for Reach, in fact not sure what is because he cant defend, tackle, and lacks pace.

I like Reach, add a bit of aggression to his game and he'll be some play. As for my thought on his position, i think some of his best performances have been when he's come inside but it's a free role anyway and he can be trusted to be switched on to counters and will run all day especially if  the likes of Pudil is struggling to get back

2 minutes ago, Dylan93 said:

The midfield was our weakest link last year, and it's exact same this year. We don't win headers, we don't press, we can't tackle, we faff about with the ball, we provide ZERO width. If it wasn't for Hooper we'd be in bottom 3. Maybe your Bannan and Lee aren't as good as what we think

Make ya mind up, you with us or not?

11 minutes ago, Dylan93 said:

ooops pig alert...lets not be throwing yourself off in October eh!