Individual mistakes, or poor individual performances?

Our bang average start to the season has seemingly been attributed to the mentality of the players. Does that mean they're feeling under pressure, or are demotivated?

Usually that would lead to individual mistakes and particular poor individual performances, but (aside from the Blunts game and Preston, and possibly the first half v QPR) I don't see an above average number of glaring individual errors, or particularly poor performances.

I just remember too many 6 out of 10 performances and not enough 8 out of 10's.

i don't remember defensive howlers, I don't remember lots of sitters being missed.

To me it's down to our general pattern of play and inability to create enough pressure and chances- that is surely down to the style, coaching and the way we set up- not individuals struggling to either cope or get motivated.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

4 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Our bang average start to the season has seemingly been attributed to the mentality of the players. Does that mean they're feeling under pressure, or are demotivated?

Usually that would lead to individual mistakes and particular poor individual performances, but (aside from the Blunts game and Preston, and possibly the first half v QPR) I don't see an above average number of glaring individual errors, or particularly poor performances.

I just remember too many 6 out of 10 performances and not enough 8 out of 10's.

i don't remember defensive howlers, I don't remember lots of sitters being missed.

To me it's down to our general pattern of play and inability to create enough pressure and chances- that is surely down to the style, coaching and the way we set up- not individuals struggling to either cope or get motivated.

What we need at the moment is a footballers Sheepdog ...

Because we are all over the shop at present we need pulling together and Adam Reach in particular needs a proper " arm "around him  

Because even though I originally thought we had been sold a pup .

I now think there is a good player in there,  but CC is destroying him ..

Good post RUMBELOWS91. ..

I thought we just needed a winger and the right tactics to "complete the set" but I think we need an animal of a captain in there as well now.

Tom Lees is a church mouse compared to any other captains I can think of. Westwood is more outspoken but all he does is lecture his defenders for 2 minutes after the ball has gone out for a goal kick rather than actually motivating anyone.

We can avoid individual mistakes becoming poor individual performances by having a motivator out there to reassure and push them forward.

We rarely play as a team, we play as a collection of individuals. Our style has been well and truly rumbled by opposition and only teams who stand off us and allow us to play are we capable of getting a result unless an individual produces something special.

Confusion, lack of comfort/belief in what they are doing, uncertainty etc - all the usual stuff that contributes to poor performances.

No real structure basically - it’s a shambles.

I think deep down the players have also stopped giving 100% for CC.

It must be grim to play this way too.

5 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Shocking refereeing decisions havn't helped 

Thats not enough of an excuse - it’s the same for everyone else.

We get the odd stinker but so do all teams 

We are not playing well enough or creating enough chances which is the main issue here. 

At the moment we are pretty much where we were when Gray left, but having spaffed a significantly larger sum of money.

Its not good enough whichever way you look at it

24 minutes ago, Quist said:

We rarely play as a team, we play as a collection of individuals. Our style has been well and truly rumbled by opposition and only teams who stand off us and allow us to play are we capable of getting a result unless an individual produces something special.

This ! Said this a lot last year but we got lucky 

We have no plan A most of the time never mind a plan B. 

I think were unfit unstructured and no fear factor at all. We have a first 11 and a squad which we know week in week out won’t change drastically. 

This has to come down to the management.

Personally think its how we set Bannan up to play.

When we make him sit deeper he tends not to have a good game and looks out of sorts which i think sets the teams style of play.

When hes allowed to kind of roam and get forward, he sprays balls around, he looks confident and he opens spaces up which looks like it gives the team confidence to attack.

Pointless him being on the edge of the penalty area with defensive tactics in mind and spraying a 60 yard ball forward with no one there.

Give him the ball in the centre circle with an attacking mindset and he plays a blinder most games. 

To me he is the most important midfielder who we need to build around. 

I think we miss Loovens calmness and leadership too which makes Lees twice the player. 

4 minutes ago, Teflon Don said:

When we make him sit deeper he tends not to have a good game and looks out of sorts which i think sets the teams style of play.

When hes allowed to kind of roam and get forward, he sprays balls around, he looks confident and he opens spaces up which looks like it gives the team confidence to attack.

Pointless him being on the edge of the penalty area with defensive tactics in mind and spraying a 60 yard ball forward with no one there.

Give him the ball in the centre circle with an attacking mindset and he plays a blinder most games. 

To me he is the most important midfielder who we need to build around. 

I think we miss Loovens calmness and leadership too which makes Lees twice the player. 

Bannan hasn’t been used properly here for more times than I care to count

Deep midfield, left side etc etc - arggg.

He is an attacking midfielder and is best behind the front two.  With his size and speed it’s the only place he can really play.

The problem is Lee is similar and Carlos can’t make a decision between the two.

Its a crazy situation that has caused no end of problems for the rest of the side.

34 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Bannan hasn’t been used properly here for more times than I care to count

Deep midfield, left side etc etc - arggg.

He is an attacking midfielder and is best behind the front two.  With his size and speed it’s the only place he can really play.

The problem is Lee is similar and Carlos can’t make a decision between the two.

Its a crazy situation that has caused no end of problems for the rest of the side.

Bannan and Lee need a coach that sets us up with three in the middle to be truly effective. Bannan in the middle is way too lightweight and defencivly frail. Good passer of the ball, neat and tricky, but also hopeless in front of goal main prerequisite of an attacking midfielder is to create that extra goal threat in the box as well as aiding the striker's, so for me nope you leave Lee to do the central box to box stuff who actually sniffs out chances in the box which leaves space for a Hutch (Defensive mid/holding player) who allows not only Bannan and Lee to play to their strengths, but can also drop in and cover for vanAkren when he strides out from the back. 

Our biggest problem is Carlos just can't see it. 

2 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Bannan and Lee need a coach that sets us up with three in the middle to be truly effective. Bannan in the middle is way too lightweight and defencivly frail. Good passer of the ball, neat and tricky, but also hopeless in front of goal main prerequisite of an attacking midfielder is to create that extra goal threat in the box as well as aiding the striker's, so for me nope you leave Lee to do the central box to box stuff who actually sniffs out chances in the box which leaves space for a Hutch (Defensive mid/holding player) who allows not only Bannan and Lee to play to their strengths, but can also drop in and cover for vanAkren when he strides out from the back. 

Our biggest problem is Carlos just can't see it. 

It’s beyond aggravating - the potential is here but our manager is too limited to see it.

I honestly cannot see how it is so difficult to put in a shift for 90 minutes, particularly in a chosen career that pays so well.

Lads back in my old unit would literally run through walls on phys day in, day out. 10 miles with 55lbs on in 1 hour 40 was a hangover cure on a Friday morning. Pay was crap, accommodation was crap, many aspects of the job were crap. Did we complain-rarely. If we could be motivated to perform then why are these lot failing to do it so often? Difference is personal pride, mental strength and a willingness to graft.

12 hours ago, Shetland Owl said:

Leadership on the pitch is the key and we lack that when Loovens is out.

This with bells on.

We lack a strong leader that pulls it together and gees everyone up,spurs them on,organises the team when the heat is on,drives them foreward when were on top

12 hours ago, Teflon Don said:

Van Anken signing should theoretically mean Bannan has less need to take the ball from the defenders' toes. Although Van Anken playing does mean no Loovens who, as others have said, is our only real leader.