The real reason there's a meltdown at SWFC

You can come a long way simply through hard work and effort; a big squad is also needed for the long campaigns of the Championship, but in the end, putting in a good performance every single match is a way to climb the table. So far I only see spells of excellence from our squad; typically "resting on our laurels" and being too passive in too many situations; and when this happens collectively, then you see why Pigs are where they are, and why we are struggling mid-table.

I don't want the players to come out at Derby feeling they "owe" the manager and us supporters something; that means they'll get a grip for one match only and suffer setback next match if they win... I want them to come out and forget anything off the pitch; play as the great team they are and go for every challenge, every ball, every follow-up on the off-chance the ball bounces in front of you and you can do something useful with it. Effort! And through effort, comes performance and when things start to click, results come and confidence gets higher.

roger, I should be the manager :P

11 hours ago, Hutch's biscuit knee said:

My reasoning is there are at least 6 other teams better than them including us so yeah let them enjoy it while it lasts

Yeah better on paper...... Though as we all know it's about results and performance and at the moment their streaks ahead. Until we match how good we're supposed to be on the pitch the piggies, Bristol and Preston are more top 6 candidates than we are. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

Weak league and after 2 play-off seasons in a row with a settled squad we should be the team everyone else has to dislodge from the top 2.

Couldn't care less about the other lot, we were unhappy right from the opening Preston game when they were still irrelevant.

• Like 1

I'm not fussed about United doing well. I did think they would struggle in their first season, they have surprised me but credit where it's due they have got off to a great start. I'm not sure that they will sustain it over the rest of the season, but if they do they will have over achieved and will deserve credit.

I'm more concerned about our season, still early days but we need to put a string of results together now, if we slip up much more we will lose touch with the play offs and that will be it for this season. Losing last weekend was inexcusable, saying that the ref cost us a point was, erm,, missing the point. We shouldn't struggle for a point away at the bottom club, we should be out of sight in the first half. We've no killer instinct. We  should go for the jugular from the first kick, we should steamroller teams. We can play lovely football when we want but rarely bother in the first half, often we wait until an hour is gone then we get into gear for a while, if we score we sit back and ride our luck.

We can beat any team in this league when we put our minds to it, we should fear no one. To get turned over by the bottom club is worse in my mind than losing to united. I know many will disagree with that and I can understand why but Bolton are a shambles, United are a form team.

It's time for the players to man up and  for Carlos to turn things around, if he can't it will be time for a change.

13 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Is because the Pigs are doing very well ain't it?

They beat us and they're looking a very good bet for a play off place, maybe dare I say automatic. 

Lets face it, we may say we don't care about them, but deep down we will be absolutely gutted if they go up and we stay down. After years of taunting them if they were to go up in their first season back it would be gutting for any Wednesdayite. Especially after we came so close but couldn't get over the line.

The Blade factor is adding even more pressure on the club, manager and the players. There's no denying it. Our form regardless of their position in the league is still concerning to say the least, but I don't think it would be panic stations and as much of a meltdown if they weren't doing so well. 

Frustrating time to be an Owl, something needs to change, someone needs to come in and inject a bit of life and positivity into the players and fans. We all need a lift and quick. I can't see that lift coming under Carlos. 

He is by no means completely at fault for what is going on at the club at the moment,  but he's the manager and unfortunately for him he's in the firing line. We can't go on like this. Change is needed. Who I don't know but it needs to happen sharpish. 

I fear what is being said in the OP, is players react i.e. v L**ds then sit back and relax v Bolton thinking just turn up expecting a soft game only for Bolton

to come out, to out fight us, playing ugly to get the win, against an over confident Wednesday side, to put us back in our box ...   plus pygmania

13 hours ago, Hutch's biscuit knee said:

My reasoning is there are at least 6 other teams better than them including us so yeah let them enjoy it while it lasts

On paper certainly. Afraid this is not being transferred to the pitch at the moment.  Whether they last the distance is debatable.

3 hours ago, Bluey9 said:

Let's face it the fact that united have spent £9.6 million and we've sp unked £60 mill up the wall was never going to go down well.

Where have you got £9.6m from? The blunts team that beat us cost less than David Jones.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

They beat us and they're looking a very good bet for a play off place, maybe dare I say automatic. 

Lets face it, we may say we don't care about them, but deep down we will be absolutely gutted if they go up and we stay down. After years of taunting them if they were to go up in their first season back it would be gutting for any Wednesdayite. Especially after we came so close but couldn't get over the line.

The Blade factor is adding even more pressure on the club, manager and the players. There's no denying it. Our form regardless of their position in the league is still concerning to say the least, but I don't think it would be panic stations and as much of a meltdown if they weren't doing so well. 

Frustrating time to be an Owl, something needs to change, someone needs to come in and inject a bit of life and positivity into the players and fans. We all need a lift and quick. I can't see that lift coming under Carlos. 

He is by no means completely at fault for what is going on at the club at the moment,  but he's the manager and unfortunately for him he's in the firing line. We can't go on like this. Change is needed. Who I don't know but it needs to happen sharpish. 

I completely agree.

I personally find it absolutely heartbreaking and it would pain me for years if they got promoted this season.

Guest BULGARIA
15 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

They look like a team who are hungry for success. 

We look like a team who are happy to plod along.

All to do with the recruitment and manager.

5 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

I also think their squad is average but they  have a good manager, team spirit and are riding the wave of positiivity without pressure. The fact that they are up there just shows how our group are under performing (as well as Derby). The teams who are winning the battles are the ones up there. We do not like a battle.

You think this United side is similiar to the Bassett and Warnock sides of the past.

Its a common misconception and couldn’t be further from the truth.

United recently played Derby off the park. Wolves are supposedly a highly talented team but they hardly had a kick and at times were outclassed at Bramall Lane.

The midfield trio is the best I’ve seen at Bramall Lane in over 40 years and is proving to be easily amongst the best midfields in the Championship.

United have been the best team in their last 9 consecutive games and should arguably now be on a run of 9 consecutive wins (instead of 7 wins and 2 defeats).

You can’t always legislate for one off results, luck can play a part

but results tend to follow performances and our performances are always good with opposition fans always surprised and impressed.

United play Leeds at Elland Road next week on Sky.

I can guarantee Wilder won’t have any fear going there, he will be positive and go for the win.

Although we all know strange things can happen, anything is possible in football and things can quickly change.

Its a long season and far too early to predict who will finish where.

Edited by sheffsteel

16 hours ago, trevdi9 said:

Personally i don't give a monkies  left doodah about the pigs all i want is a team that will give their all in every game , not much to ask is it

Fair enough but you will be in the minority. A small one too if you live in Sheffield.

So the OP is right although it still wouldn't be a good enough start and CC would be under pressure.

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Sheffield United doing well doesn't help but the reason people are cheesed off is because the team is underperforming and we are paying through the nose to watch it.

The Steel City Derby game was awful.

Awful? It was a fkng catastrophe! Waited years for that fkr & we played like utter amateurs. As for all these people who supposedly don't care what the other lot do. Bollx!

So they treat their results the same as a Brentford result or an Ipswich result. Pull the other one. It's the first result I look for because we share a rivalry in the same city. I know ours already, before anybody asks.

Pretending not to care about the pigs is only kidding themselves. Maybe because I'm in a mixed family, I don't know, but it certainly matters.

And yes, the OP is right. Their current lofty position makes us ask 'hang on, why aren't we up there'? But it's October. This is their moment in the sun. The competition is a marathon.

And if we lose the next 3 this month, CC goes & we get the new manager bounce. If we win the next 3, we're capable of winning 6. Keep the faith.

9 hours ago, torryowl said:

it goes in cycles and now it seems it's there turn to rule the roost and get gloaty for a while  .........it's no big deal and what they do shouldn't impact on what happens at our club .

That reminds me - I wonder how FF's rehabilitation is going....lol

Edited by Almat