Phil parkinson

2 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I watch with horror every week the weakness of our left side. You see the big gap waiting to be exploited. Reach is not a left back as he struggles with the basics of defending and certainly gets no cover from Bannan when Bannan plays wide left. Our head coach doesn't seem to be able to grasp what a good left back is. We've had Helan, Pudil, Bennett, Emanuelson, Reach and Fox with none of them being good enough to be a solid full back.

Pudil is probably the best out of a bad bunch which means Reach could be pushed into midfield where he has had some excellent games this season. But that would mean having to squeeze Bannan, Lee, Hutchinson, Wallace, Jones and when fit Boyd and Matias into the remaining three spots. Carlos's biggest problem is constantly picking Bannan, Lee, Hutchinson and Wallace which is a totally unbalanced midfield.

Parkinson made the same point. He was highlighting Reach as still learning his trade at LB, but getting no help as Bannan drifts central.

Post after post this season puts either Bannan left or Lee right. Carlos has played Bannan, Lee and Abdi wide. It didn't work last season and it clearly isn't working this season.

It we stick with 442 - and lets be realistic, we will - he needs to pick two CMs and two proper widemen. Right now this means Wallace and Reach, as Boyd and FF are injured.

No doubt many will say our CMs are too weak to pay only two. That's simply not the case. Our record with two wingers and two proper widemen is far better than what we have now.

Pudil did a great job at LB in first season, attacking and defending. We knew we needed backup or an upgrade. We did neither.

I'd have him back at LB from Saturday. Reach can go LW and stay there, learn the role if needed but if we move him around positions he won't develop.

Bannan is more of a hindrance to us than we think. Good player but doesn't score enough and isn't physical enough. Think he can only play in a 3 man centre midfield.

Hutch is the ball winner and organiser who can pass as well, Lee is the player who links with the forwards and scores the odd goal.

The muddled thinking and shoehorning of players I think goes towards the inconsistent performances. CC can and must stop this or he will lose his job.

With the squad we have, we should be able to play various types of game. We seem to try different plans varying on opponent but with the same personnel.

1 hour ago, Owlinmad said:

So the average football forum fan knows more about tactics than someone who has spent all of his working life involved in the game.

I saw Fleck's free-kick routine on Channel 5 and predicted it as he lined up to take it against us. Why did our highly-paid staff not?

Carlos has already answered this question....he does his scouting in the first half....that's why we don't try and win the first half, he just wants us to be tight so we can have a look at the opposition and then adjust accordingly at half time.

bizarre thinking but there you go,,,,so is picking Jones 

Teams like Man City and Arsenal I doubt change their approach very much game on game, they just play a certain way and hope they win which they can afford to do. Teams like Bolton and Burton who are battling for survival will try and eek out every ounce they can to get an edge and looking for weak areas in the opposition to expose.

Well done Bolton on this occasion.

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Carlos has already answered this question....he does his scouting in the first half....that's why we don't try and win the first half, he just wants us to be tight so we can have a look at the opposition and then adjust accordingly at half time.

bizarre thinking but there you go,,,,so is picking Jones 

If that first part is true then I've never heard anything so stupid from a professional football manager.

Carlos always says he is aware of how the opposition will play.

He doesn't have to go to games himself, that's what scouts and videos are for.

He has been criticised on here before for paying too much attention to the opposition.

Carlos has to change or go but some of the tripe being said against him currently is nonsense 

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Carlos always says he is aware of how the opposition will play.

He doesn't have to go to games himself, that's what scouts and videos are for.

He has been criticised on here before for paying too much attention to the opposition.

Carlos has to change or go but some of the tripe being said against him currently is nonsense 

Do you honestly see him changing?

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Do you honestly see him changing?

Probably not to the extent required.

I think he will change back, Loovens, Hutch, Pudil making us stronger defensively but he will never solve his main problem which is wanting to play Bannan every week yet still play 442.

I am not saying Bannan shouldn't play every week , he has played well in most games this season but we won't get promoted with our current midfield players playing 442 so it is just a question of when he goes 

7 hours ago, Waddlesdiamondlights said:

Just read a report by Dom howson saying how Parkinson watched us in the Leeds game and how reach was vulnerable playing at left back and how he could use ameobis direct style to unsettle him.It poses the question how many times has Carlos been or the other backroom staff to teams we are to play to check out weak areas of opposing teams etc or does he just work with videos of previous matches or does he just watch the channel 5 highlights show

We send Doyen Sports instead 

The way we are set up requires the full backs to do a tremendous amount of work and leaves us vulnerable in these areas, they are one of our main attacking outlets and are asked to push on at every opportunity.. As stated previously we are very predictable and therefore any coach who does his work on opponents will know how we play and which areas of pitch we play. Think individual full backs are difficult to criticise because what we ask them to do and support they get mean we will always be vulnerable in this area of the pitch.

Likewise we do not seem to adapt to opposition, we only play well against those teams who give us space and freedom to play.

1 hour ago, Costello 77 said:

You could say that about the players too.

Seasoned pros falling for the old one-two.

I agree with you. But when it was a routine that had been done and shown on TV you would expect the coaching staff to make sure the players had seen it.

5 hours ago, oldishowl said:

Firstly the Bolton goal was not down to Reach. He did what most full backs would do . Their full back overlapped, Reach tracked him passing Ameobi onto Jones who promptly fell over giving the space for the shot.

People on here have been praising Reach this season, especially at full back , most were happy with the team selected for Bolton before the game however in hindsight it's far easier 

We have a fundamental problem.

When we play 442 we don't have the players to find the right balance between attack and defence. Depending on team selection we are either too open or   tight defensively yet struggle to get forward.

In my view the problem lies in central midfield and always has. 

We just don't have the two players who can play central midfield successfully in a 442. 

Meanwhile Carlos insisting on picking certain players all the time and trying to fit them into a 442.

Until he changes the system, or gets one/two new central midfielders we will continue to be disappointed 

Our midfield has been problematic since about 1994.

No manager ever seems to be able to get to grips with it - IMO it’s the most important part of the side.

Without balance and strength here the defennse and attack can’t do their jobs properly 

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

59 minutes ago, Quist said:

The way we are set up requires the full backs to do a tremendous amount of work and leaves us vulnerable in these areas, they are one of our main attacking outlets and are asked to push on at every opportunity.. As stated previously we are very predictable and therefore any coach who does his work on opponents will know how we play and which areas of pitch we play. Think individual full backs are difficult to criticise because what we ask them to do and support they get mean we will always be vulnerable in this area of the pitch.

Likewise we do not seem to adapt to opposition, we only play well against those teams who give us space and freedom to play.

Agree with you there. When I look at the Boro side promoted a couple of seasons ago (for example) they had Nsue and Friend as attacking fullbacks but Leadbitter and Clayton sitting unselfishly in midfield allowing them to do so. At present our one sitting midfielder in Jones isn't as good at it as either Leadbitter or Clayton so we will always be vulnerable out wide, especially if our wide men tuck in too i.e. Bannan. After that it's a knock-on effect because your full backs are under pressure which means if more crosses come in then your CBs are under more pressure and then your GK comes into the equation too.

Lots of the time people blame the full backs or the defence as a whole without identifying the source.

40 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

I agree with you. But when it was a routine that had been done and shown on TV you would expect the coaching staff to make sure the players had seen it.

I should think seasoned players would have done their homework too.

Btw have you heard that amazing drum pattern on "if you can see me" by Bowie?

I think we are set up wrong. It is madness tovplay 4 man midfield and try to dominate opposition through possesion while outnumbered in midfield ?!

Our defenders drop deep in case we lose ball under pressure. It makes our midfield drop deep to take ball of them, and keeping our strikers isolated.