Communication

Guest RocketOwl

Guest RocketOwl

Football clubs these days are a business and wether we like it or not we are the customer.

The communication we receive as loyal customers is pretty diabolical. For example, Rhodes injury and status won't be revealed. We have to guess if Marco Matias is still alive and the whole George Hirst issue is ignored, we could go on. 

On issues not not related to the playing side, the kit situation has not been communicated. The reasons why we didn't have the friendly for the 150th anniversary, again we could go on.

The chairman has been a breath of fresh air without doubt but mainly because he spent money on good players. He could be starting to play a risky game with the fans though. Surely when he probably needs us most due to FFP a simple update here and there to appease the fans is not the most difficult? 

Our ticket prices are premier league prices and on the whole we all still come in massive numbers. For this loyalty and for the business we pay into, it's alarming many of us still do not have a clue on many things I.e player recruitment:

Does FFP count with staff? What does this Joe Palmer actually do? It seems that Carlos definitely doesn't sign the players because too many are signed and never play. 

I think the chairman xould could appease some of the more disgruntled fans currently with an honest update on some of the things mentioned such as player recruitment and why our training facilities seem to be deadlier than a world war 2 landmine area. 

2 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

I think the chairman xould could appease some of the more disgruntled fans currently with an honest update on some of the things mentioned such as player recruitment and why our training facilities seem to be deadlier than a world war 2 landmine area. 

The club are currently collating questions from fans for the chairman to do exactly that. He's apparently going to answer questions sent in to him - no limits on what can be asked apparently

Owlstalk Shop

We are not "loyal customers"....we don't have the option of supporting an alternative  SWFC if we don't agree with how the Chairmen communicates with us. We are also all customers of British Gas, Sky.com, etc. etc. etc. Do their Chairman communicate with you regarding the day to day happenings at their business?...No?...didn't think so.

What's the difference in the modern world? The buzz word is communication. So many people have access to the god that is modern information. We all want to know what is going on, often before it happens, and we all believe that we have a right to know. This is one of the biggest fallacies of the age. No-one is saying that they can't express an opinion, but mass communication has led to so much dissent and dissatisfaction that it is increasingly difficult to run any type of business. Business is done by being one step in front of your opponent. If you have spotted a bright young talent, but are not completely certain, or negotiations are at a crucial stage, surely the best way is to keep quiet until completion, and not let your competitors know.

Maybe it's better for the fans NOT to be told certain things.

It is difficult to compare football supporters with other type of consumers but most consumers are really only entitled to certain details of the product not the full details of the manufacturing process (maybe a secret recipe).

Football supporters consume the end product, entertainment, results, merchandise etc but are not entitled to every detail of how the end product is produced.

If things aren't right then we await improvement. Do fans honestly think they are the only ones in possession of this insightful knowledge.

The only communication I want or need is at the reading of results when the reader says... Sheffield Wednesday  (Think of any number and insert) Opponents ( Nil).

Never gone in for beating the Club up or causing embarrassment they know there are things to put right and they will !

7 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

If things aren't right then we await improvement. Do fans honestly think they are the only ones in possession of this insightful knowledge.

The only communication I want or need is at the reading of results when the reader says... Sheffield Wednesday  (Think of any number and insert) Opponents ( Nil).

Never gone in for beating the Club up or causing embarrassment they know there are things to put right and they will !

Wish I shared your confidence , nothing other than the players we have now has improved . Just as well we win a few games now and then because for me there is no feel good factor with much else at our wonderful club just lately . Onwards and upwards then !!!!!

15 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

they know there are things to put right and they will !

For that to happen Chansiri wil have to acknowledge there are things he's got wrong   

6 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Wish I shared your confidence , nothing other than the players we have now has improved . Just as well we win a few games now and then because for me there is no feel good factor with much else at our wonderful club just lately . Onwards and upwards then !!!!!

Bet you were a real chuckler in the 70's .

lol

6 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Maybe, but I don't recall, since Eric Taylor, anyone other than LS doing this.

Then it's little wonder that, aside from a few years in the early nineties, we've failed to have any real success in my lifetime.

A tricky one this. 

I guess clubs have to be careful with what they release as it can affect transfers, tactics etc. 

However we have got to be one of the worst clubs for it. Much smaller clubs than us have a far better communication and fan experience than us. 

I know DC has come out and said he doesn’t like giving information out because it breeds negativity however if the club weren’t so utter pathetic at doing most things then the negativity wouldn’t happen (well as much anyway). 

How hard can it be to employ a few people who can look after this aspect of the club. Yeah it will cost a few club but just look at how much money we waste in other areas. 

I hate to be negative about the club club I love but for god sake help yourselves out abit. 

A post thats probably going to get a boat full of negs from people who can’t accept criticism of the club but hey ho.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jarce said:

If there's no feel good factor now there was certainly none  in the 70's for us. Just wondering how you felt then, old bean.

Haha , well I started watching in 1971 so wasn’t used to success and it’s been pretty much the same ever since , barring the 90’s   , so think I’ve done rather well to keep a smile on my face !!!! You are right though ,we are in a much better place than back then , I’m just disappointed we don’t appear to have kicked on now we have all this investment , I think .