Nigel Clough

Not seen his name mentioned yet but I think he'd be a great option for us should CC get the boot.

Sometimes the less obvious candidates are the best options.

He got Burton up and has done well to keep them as competitive as they are, punching well above their weight. And what we need is someone who can be trusted to get us punching somewhere near ours. If that happened then top 6 would be highly likely, and that's something we'd all surely take at this point.

He managed United, so what. He was harshly sacked. He had them playing some exciting stuff and did well to get them to the play offs, not to mention the cup runs.

He's managed a big club before in Derby (not as big as us I know) so that's another plus.

He seems like a solid character with no real flaws, someone who won't let petty agendas and stubbornness get in the way of doing what's right.

He also seems to have a great scouting network looking at what he's got for his money at Burton. Value for money is certainly something we can.... improve.

If CC is to go let's get someone who'll get the best out of what we have, play positive football, never settle for a draw and show real ambition to get us promoted ASAP.

That man for me is Nigel Clough.

59e55d0d81f97_Screenshot2017-10-17at02_29_31.png.873af87b2b60b3a68aef5a764b58bfa4.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Vernon1867 said:

Not seen his name mentioned yet but I think he'd be a great option for us should CC get the boot.

He got Burton up and has done well to keep them as competitive as they are, punching well above their weight. And what we need is someone who can be trusted to get us punching somewhere near ours. If that happened then top 6 would be highly likely, and that's something we'd all surely take at this point.

He managed United, so what. He was harshly sacked. He had them playing some exciting stuff and did well to get them to the play offs, not to mention the cup runs.

He's managed a big club before in Derby (not as big as us I know) so that's another plus.

He seems like a solid character with no real flaws, someone who won't let petty agendas and stubbornness get in the way of doing what's right.

He also seems to have a great scouting network looking at what he's got for his money at Burton. Value for money is certainly something we can.... improve.

If CC is to go let's get someone who'll get the best out of what we have, play positive football, never settle for a draw and show real ambition to get us promoted ASAP.

59e55d0d81f97_Screenshot2017-10-17at02_29_31.png.873af87b2b60b3a68aef5a764b58bfa4.png

Not exactly a attack minded manager

4 minutes ago, Vernon1867 said:

I assume you are taking the p1ss, but in case you are serious I have emboldened the parts that are untrue. 

Clough is a very pragmatic, cautious, over tactical manager.

He plays decent possession/ passing football but it’s slow with little goal action.

When he was Blades manager you could gaurantee the score would be 0-0 at half time.

He also concentrates too much on negating the opposition, which to be fair it’s one of his strengths.

Explains why United got some good results when underdogs playing higher opposition in the cup.

If Wednesday went into the PL and played away at Man City then Clough would be a good acquisition.

Hes really good at stifling the opposition and pinching a result against the odds.

But for most situations in the Championship he’d play a similar style but even worse and more negative than Carvahal.

Edited by sheffsteel

Seriously you don't want Clough (blade here). If you think Carlos is negative, Clough really is.

Clough was perfect for us in his first season, because we were the underdogs, teams expected to beat us and came out attacking. We were looking at L2 and he employed a quick counter-attacking game. That worked and it got us to the brink of the play offs and the FA Cup Semi. He really does set his team up like it's a cup game - don't lose and try to nick one.

His 2nd season, we were no longer underdogs, we were back up as favourites and the football turned dire. Teams were sitting back (particularly at home) and he couldn't break them down. Again, the cup run was the best football he managed - because teams were attacking us.

He would do well this season and would probably turn it around but next season you'd be treading water again. Just look at his record anywhere he's been, starts off great then ends up going backwards/nowhere.

Edited by mattbianco1

He's not fundamentally a negative manager.

If he ever played that way with United then it's probably because he had to. They had a terrible squad.

I saw for myself some of the football he had them playing in the cup, it was exciting and it was good to watch.

He didn't waste any time getting Burton promoted and I don't think he'd waste any time getting us promoted. If we appoint him I'll back us to go up, with medium large stakes.

7 minutes ago, Vernon1867 said:

I saw for myself some of the football he had them playing in the cup, it was exciting and it was good to watch.

In the cup! That's what i said. 

People are moaning that Weds play better when teams attack them. If anybody sets up with 10 behind the ball, Clough hasn't got a clue. His league record isn't all that:

Burton:

Dr Martens 2nd

Unibond 1st

Conference - 16th, 14th, 16th, 9th, 6th, 5th, 1st, left for Derby

Derby:

Champ - 18th, 14th, 19th, 12th, sacked

SUFC:

L1 - 7th, 5th, sacked

Burton:

L1 - 2nd (Hasselbaink) Burton were 5 points clear at the top in December when Clough took over.

Champ - 21st

His only success is at Burton. Why? Because they're underdogs! He can't manage big clubs as the pressure is too great.

They are shocking finishing positions for a team like Derby. Following his resurrection of us, he should've finished top 2, not 5th.