Sheffield Wednesday Team for Saturday

There is an argument, that you could make 5 or 6 changes for Saturday but I would focus on the defence and go back to the tried and tested defensive unit of Westwood, Lees, Loovens and Hutch in defensive midfield as we have looked very solid with this quartet in the side over the last couple of years. I would stick with the diamond in midfield which will allow Lee and Bannan to play their natural games. I would drop Wallace if there was an option but I don't want to play Jones and I don't trust Matias to start in a must win game.

Lees and Loovens are pretty poor with the ball and I would make clear that their remit is to get the ball to either Hutch or the full backs as quick as possible without dithering with the ball. Don't want to see Bannan coming deep. Joao to be our first sub option - don't know why he wasn't brought on at half time on Saturday.

Team;

Westwood

Hunt

Lees

Loovens

Reach

Wallace

Lee

Hutch 

Bannan

Fletch

Hooper

By the way, don't want to scapegoat Van Aken here but we are where we are and we need that defensive solidarity back. Think he will be a very good player and I hope Loovens mentors him in his positional play and how to defend.

Thoughts?!

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

I know we cant do anything about it now but i wish we had more pace in that midfield. 

This should have been addressed after the Hull game but Carlos seems to think you don't need it in modern day football which is quite frankly bizarre. What I would give for an Antonio type now on the right of a front 3 with FF on the left and Hooper down the middle. We would be great to watch in a 4-3-3 playing a fluid brand of football. It suits our key players - Lee, Bannan, FF and Hooper.

Dosnt matter how many changes he may make, he will still shoehorn three centre midfielders in to 4-4-2 .

when will he ever learn this makes us badly unbalanced and gives us no width. It makes us play very narrow and easy for teams to stop us playing. 

17 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Dosnt matter how many changes he may make, he will still shoehorn three centre midfielders in to 4-4-2 .

when will he ever learn this makes us badly unbalanced and gives us no width. It makes us play very narrow and easy for teams to stop us playing. 

Problem is tho if he picks the proper players to play in a 442 he has to drop Bannan.... who's been one of our better players this season so he will get stick for that. 

But as said he won't change the system and he won't drop Bannan so the only possible change he could make to shake it up would be picking Matias and Joao instead of Wallace and Fletcher.

But again this won't happen he may pick Fox or Pudil at LB and Play Reach out wide. He also might bring in Loovens and Hutch for van Aken and Jones but the style and shape will remain the same mundain slow and predictable.

I would go:

Wildsmith

Hunt Lees Loovens Pudil

Matias Lee Hutch Bannan

Hooper Joao

Wallace and Jones should not be anywhere near the starting 11

Westwood

Hunt

Lees

Loovens

Pudil

Bannan

Lee

Hutch

Reach

Fletcher

Hooper

I wish I could change the system as the team above is still poor but we won't 

I wish I could leave Fletcher out but Joao will be better coming on

In desperate need for a change in tactics and formation. Ideally 4-3-3 but with Forestieri out I would go 3-5-2. The key being a three man central midfield.

-----------Westwood------------

---Lees-----Loovens-----Van Aken 

Hunt Lee Hutch Bannan Reach

---------Joao------Hooper--------

Wildsmith 

Palmer       Venancio       Loovens      Pudil

Joao            Lee                Bannan         Wallace

Nuhui          Hooper

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

If Carlos is still here, he'll revert back to the old guard, the ones he can trust.

Westwood

Hunt

Lees

Loovens

Pudil

Lee

Hutchinson

Bannan

Reach

Hooper

Fletcher

The same ones what did fantastically well against Bolton. He can certainly trust them to keep putting p*ss poor performances in thats for sure.

1 hour ago, York_Owl said:

In desperate need for a change in tactics and formation. Ideally 4-3-3 but with Forestieri out I would go 3-5-2. The key being a three man central midfield.

-----------Westwood------------

---Lees-----Loovens-----Van Aken 

Hunt Lee Hutch Bannan Reach

---------Joao------Hooper--------

Id be happy if that was the team. I'm like you, I believe we need 3 in the middle. I prefer 4-3-3 but again that formation would be better if Ff was fit. We need to bring in an attacking, fast wide right player in Jan. It could work with Joao on the right of a front 3 as well.