A Little Bit Worried

Can someone please allay my fears? Allegedly, we are sailing close to the wind with FFP at the moment so if we don’t get promoted this season, which is looking highly unlikely, what happens next season? If a large number of fans have already purchased 3 year season tickets as well as the shirt debacle and other merchandise disasters....where will the money to buy players come from?

23 minutes ago, stevie snerklebox said:

Don’t quote me on this because I’m not 100% sure, but I believe FFP resets every three years so next season there will be new parameters set. In short, if DC still wants to chuck a bob or 2 at it we should be ok.

It's any consecutive 3 year period, as I understand it. 

There'll be no more money going in. That's why it was 'promotion in time for our 150th' and why club 1867 has been launched.

We will have to sell 1 or 2 and spend wisely, unless DC can convince family, business associates/TUF to put money in.

I doubt that though because if we are close to FFP I doubt it could go in as debt against the club?

DC has made a right mess of it all to be honest

15 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

We will have to wheel and deal which might not be a bad thing.

Agree ordinarily, have we a team in place capable though? 

49 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

We will have to wheel and deal which might not be a bad thing.

Will be more focus on value for money and due diligence on signings instead of the sounds good we will have him signings we have seen over last 2-3 years.

This.

The continual purchase of players that haven't improved the first 11 and only served to expand an already bloated squad is part of the problem, not the solution.

I know in this world of super rich football club owners, we think that continued expenditure is the only answer, but the game operated just fine before this trend of frivolous spending. 

A football club that looks to invest in players who fit into its philosophy and balance the books by moving those on that don't, is invariably a successful one. Compliment this with a well run commercial arm AND add significant levels of capital invested prudently and this will only strengthen that pursuit of success.

The simple fact is, Sheffield Wednesday Football Club have not been doing the basics. Simply throwing money at the situation, rarely ends well.

Edited by Cosby Blunkett

Arguably in certain positions such as strikers, we have too many options currently. If one or two assets need to be sold to balance the books, it might not be so disastrous as the squad is unhealthily bloated. We shouldn’t have short memories about the consequences of failing to run the club prudently. On a more positive note at least some of our players have some real worth. It wasn’t many years ago when not a single player in our squad would have been worth over a £1million.

Obviously things could be better currently, but I hope DC can keep a calm head and not panic. 

1 hour ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

This.

The continual purchase of players that haven't improved the first 11 and only served to expand an already bloated squad is part of the problem, not the solution.

I know in this world of super rich football club owners, we think that continued expenditure is the only answer, but the game operated just fine before this trend of frivolous spending. 

A football club that looks to invest in players who fit into its philosophy and balance the books by moving those on that don't, is invariably a successful one. Compliment this with a well run commercial arm AND add significant levels of capital invested prudently and this will only strengthen that pursuit of success.

The simple fact is, Sheffield Wednesday Football Club have not been doing the basics. Simply throwing money at the situation, rarely ends well.

This has been my main gripe. We have not really improved the first 11 since the Hull game after spending in excess of £30m.  

The plan should have been to highlight our weaknesses and address those areas instead of buying similar players to what we already have which invariably are not as good.

31 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

This has been my main gripe. We have not really improved the first 11 since the Hull game after spending in excess of £30m.  

The plan should have been to highlight our weaknesses and address those areas instead of buying similar players to what we already have which invariably are not as good.

This is one of the frustrating things over the past couple of seasons ...

we know what we've needed since the final at Wembley vs Hull however we haven't addressed those issues in 3 transfer windows ..really disheartening ... Carlos and his henchmen to blame for this bringing in more and more duds like Urby, Sougou, Rhodes, Abdi etc 

3 hours ago, Ash76 said:

There'll be no more money going in. That's why it was 'promotion in time for our 150th' and why club 1867 has been launched.

We will have to sell 1 or 2 and spend wisely, unless DC can convince family, business associates/TUF to put money in.

I doubt that though because if we are close to FFP I doubt it could go in as debt against the club?

DC has made a right mess of it all to be honest

It has to be said that we're giving it a right go this season :carlos: