In the papers today - Paul Lambert being lined up for SWFC Manager job

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

Who's to say if he'd be good or bad. 

People perform differently in different environments.

We genuinely wouldn't know with Lambert,  or any other manager until they arrived.

Gray had a terrible managerial CV but did well for us. 

2 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Gray had a terrible managerial CV but did well for us. 

Exactly! Great example.

My only knowledge of Gray the manager was that he paid £4m for Rory Delap at Southampton.  I wasn't convinced,  and given how things were at the time the assumption that we merely went for the cheap option wasn't over egging the pudding. 

But he was superb in what he did. Getting the best out of some very average players (and decent use of the loan market)

Guest Copthorneowl
1 minute ago, stanningtonowl said:

The first thing any new manager will do is bring in pacy wide men and show Carlos how it's done. 

As  well as that the first thing a new manager will do is make sure he starts with a different 11 because he'll want to show a new approach I might add the team we picked for Bolton was the team most would have picked having smashed Leeds although some will probably now assert differently; and additionally a different team shape then he'll pray he gets off to a good start because that is vital with an impatient fan base like ours.

3 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

As  well as that the first thing a new manager will do is make sure he starts with a different 11 because he'll want to show a new approach I might add the team we picked for Bolton was the team most would have picked having smashed Leeds although some will probably now assert differently; and additionally a different team shape then he'll pray he gets off to a good start because that is vital with an impatient fan base like ours.

I wouldn't have picked the same team. Put Jaoa in for Fletcher for some pace, Mattias if he is fit for Wallace. Even put the lunk in to mix it up with their centre halfs. This is why Carlos should go. So predictable. Team talks for the opposite manager must be easy.

I think a new manager would get some leeway if the fans saw he was trying to turn around a team used to being shackled, and trying to play attacking football. Like Carlos did in his first season.

Edited by stanningtonowl

3 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Paul Lambert was someone I suggested about a month back.

Instead of just blindly saying Yes, No, No, NO, Hell No! to managers...have a look at their record, and actually dissect it.

Lambert did the hard yards in lower league. And did it well at Wycombe & Colchester.

Then went to Norwich totally turned around a car crash of a football club (at the time). Successive promotions, followed by consolidation in the Premier League.

Then Aston Villa. Shackled with financial limitations throughout his time there, he kept Villa in the Premier League, whilst developing some good young players. As soon as he left the club, Villa were in free fall...Sherwood, Garde, Di Matteo & now Bruce have all failed to produce anything like Lambert did whilst he was there. He did a very underrated job at Villa.

Then comes two poor decisions from Lambert's point of view...Blackburn & Wolves. However, his record at both of these clubs, were still respectable. Left both of these clubs because he wasn't going to have a bigger enough say in transfers etc. 

No chance at Hillsborough then...

2 hours ago, Waddlesdiamondlights said:

I believe we already have a squad able to compete and I can't see money being available unless we ship somebody out to balance the books plus there's the young UN's coming through give em a chance.

I thought CC was a coach and not the manager. That is where the problem lies. A manager I would  assume involve himself with transfer targets and transfers, surely a coach doesn't. Its all well and good having an experienced  owner, when you haven't like us, surely its  manager we need. 

This is the problem with sacking a manager midway through a season. You end up having to get some bloke who's out of work for a reason, and the whole managerial merry-go-round keeps turning.

A lot of the names here are past it - Megson, Allardyce, Pardew. Lambert has been hit and miss. Did well at Norwich but wasn't impressed with the managed decline of Villa.

If Carlos goes, I'd much rather we go for an up-and-coming manager like Michael O'Neill, Paul Hurst or Lee Johnson. But these managers most likely wouldn't be available now.

16 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

This is the problem with sacking a manager midway through a season. You end up having to get some bloke who's out of work for a reason, and the whole managerial merry-go-round keeps turning.

A lot of the names here are past it - Megson, Allardyce, Pardew. Lambert has been hit and miss. Did well at Norwich but wasn't impressed with the managed decline of Villa.

If Carlos goes, I'd much rather we go for an up-and-coming manager like Michael O'Neill, Paul Hurst or Lee Johnson. But these managers most likely wouldn't be available now.

Ive mentioned Hurst in another thread . Up and coming , young english manager who is getting rave reviews for the job he has done at Shrewsbury . 

I get fed up of the same old has beens being mentioned .