In the papers today - Paul Lambert being lined up for SWFC Manager job

31 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Despite the fact I’d rather buy a pig season ticket than have megson back , I can’t fault your dedication to the cause ! 

I can't believe any self respecting Wednesdayite would come out with such a comment.

• Thanks 1

Guest Copthorneowl
1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

Paul Lambert was someone I suggested about a month back.

Instead of just blindly saying Yes, No, No, NO, Hell No! to managers...have a look at their record, and actually dissect it.

Lambert did the hard yards in lower league. And did it well at Wycombe & Colchester.

Then went to Norwich totally turned around a car crash of a football club (at the time). Successive promotions, followed by consolidation in the Premier League.

Then Aston Villa. Shackled with financial limitations throughout his time there, he kept Villa in the Premier League, whilst developing some good young players. As soon as he left the club, Villa were in free fall...Sherwood, Garde, Di Matteo & now Bruce have all failed to produce anything like Lambert did whilst he was there. He did a very underrated job at Villa.

Then comes two poor decisions from Lambert's point of view...Blackburn & Wolves. However, his record at both of these clubs, were still respectable. Left both of these clubs because he wasn't going to have a bigger enough say in transfers etc. 

At last a factually correct post on Paul Lambert well done frastheowl.

Just to add Lambert went to Wolves Just prior to ownership change they were going to have their own man whatever he came up with but he did well at Wolves measured against what his predecessor had done and was turning them round.

Ive been entirely behind Carlos and stood up for him 100% until now but my view of all the managers that have been mentioned so far is that Lambert and Karanka - who was solid with Boro until they arrived in a league too good for them is that these two are as good as any unless you can find a young progressive manager like the guy at Watford but that's a huge gamble and we must avoid a manager merry go round... That will take us back to the bad old days.

Paul Lambert was someone I suggested about a month back.

Instead of just blindly saying Yes, No, No, NO, Hell No! to managers...have a look at their record, and actually dissect it.

Lambert did the hard yards in lower league. And did it well at Wycombe & Colchester.

Then went to Norwich totally turned around a car crash of a football club (at the time). Successive promotions, followed by consolidation in the Premier League.

Then Aston Villa. Shackled with financial limitations throughout his time there, he kept Villa in the Premier League, whilst developing some good young players. As soon as he left the club, Villa were in free fall...Sherwood, Garde, Di Matteo & now Bruce have all failed to produce anything like Lambert did whilst he was there. He did a very underrated job at Villa.

Then comes two poor decisions from Lambert's point of view...Blackburn & Wolves. However, his record at both of these clubs, were still respectable. Left both of these clubs because he wasn't going to have a bigger enough say in transfers etc. 

When you look at that record, it looks like he has the pedigree to get hold of this squad and mould it to bring better and more consistent performances.  We could do worse.

39 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

That's my worry with any "respectable" manager who'd want the job.

Lambert.

Karanka.

Moyes.

All would insist on the final say over transfers. And they can demand that, because their record and reputation allows them to. 

However, someone, desperate for a big job, with a record or experience to count on, would take this job, on the premise of accepting whatever their get thrown at them. Like Carlos. His reputation, previous to coming to Wednesday, could not allow him to come here and start dictating whats what. 

That's why I fear, we'll end up with an unknown from Europe, or a manager who's record does not warrant him the job at Hillsborough. 

Thats probably the sole reason CC is still manager. DC oversees all transfers and CC stands for it. Who knows it could be the possible scenario.

8 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

At last a factually correct post on Paul Lambert well done frastheowl.

Just to add Lambert went to Wolves Just prior to ownership change they were going to have their own man whatever he came up with but he did well at Wolves measured against what his predecessor had done and was turning them round.

Ive been entirely behind Carlos and stood up for him 100% until now but my view of all the managers that have been mentioned so far is that Lambert and Karanka - who was solid with Boro until they arrived in a league too good for them is that these two are as good as any unless you can find a young progressive manager like the guy at Watford but that's a huge gamble and we must avoid a manager merry go round... That will take us back to the bad old days.

And another Scot we will be selling bagpipes and kilts in the club shop soon

Guest Copthorneowl
8 minutes ago, Waddlesdiamondlights said:

And another Scot we will be selling bagpipes and kilts in the club shop soon

Im sure they will be on sale before the replica shirts.

2 hours ago, owls101 said:

Worst article ever. Mentions something about karanka and our board, we don't have a board do we?

My thoughts too. Hardly a reliable source based on this but I can see the reasoning, he is available, a solid manager with some track record and he is Scottish!

I am getting to the point where I'd take anyone over CC even if just for this season. Lambert wouldn't be my choice, but certainly take him over Karanka. 

Guest Grez Bez

That's my worry with any "respectable" manager who'd want the job.

Lambert.

Karanka.

Moyes.

All would insist on the final say over transfers. And they can demand that, because their record and reputation allows them to. 

However, someone, desperate for a big job, with a record or experience to count on, would take this job, on the premise of accepting whatever their get thrown at them. Like Carlos. His reputation, previous to coming to Wednesday, could not allow him to come here and start dictating whats what. 

That's why I fear, we'll end up with an unknown from Europe, or a manager who's record does not warrant him the job at Hillsborough. 

We are no different to any other club regarding how transfers work. 

No manager scouts his own players (unless he knows them) or negotiates contracts etc...

10 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

We are no different to any other club regarding how transfers work. 

No manager scouts his own players (unless he knows them) or negotiates contracts etc...

I believe we already have a squad able to compete and I can't see money being available unless we ship somebody out to balance the books plus there's the young UN's coming through give em a chance.

Guest Grez Bez
10 minutes ago, Waddlesdiamondlights said:

I believe we already have a squad able to compete and I can't see money being available unless we ship somebody out to balance the books plus there's the young UN's coming through give em a chance.

We do have a very good squad; I still think we need to add a solid centre back in January. 

He needs to be a leader first and foremost