In the papers today - Paul Lambert being lined up for SWFC Manager job

50 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Paul Lambert was someone I suggested about a month back.

Instead of just blindly saying Yes, No, No, NO, Hell No! to managers...have a look at their record, and actually dissect it.

Lambert did the hard yards in lower league. And did it well at Wycombe & Colchester.

Then went to Norwich totally turned around a car crash of a football club (at the time). Successive promotions, followed by consolidation in the Premier League.

Then Aston Villa. Shackled with financial limitations throughout his time there, he kept Villa in the Premier League, whilst developing some good young players. As soon as he left the club, Villa were in free fall...Sherwood, Garde, Di Matteo & now Bruce have all failed to produce anything like Lambert did whilst he was there. He did a very underrated job at Villa.

Then comes two poor decisions from Lambert's point of view...Blackburn & Wolves. However, his record at both of these clubs, were still respectable. Left both of these clubs because he wasn't going to have a bigger enough say in transfers etc. 

People love rubbishing managers before they've even walked through the door.

I wonder how many defending Carlos today were happy when the odds on "Carlos Kickabout" first slashed that day when it became obvious he was coming. What about Dave Jones or (to a probably lesser extent at the time) Paul Sturrock who both won promotions? 

People on here seem to love compiling long lists of reasons why managers won't be good enough. All I'm bothered about is the increasingly long list of reasons why the current one definitely isn't. 

Carlos needs to go. For me that much is clear. I also think the suggestion that there isn't ANYBODY out there who could do better with what Carlos has got and had is utterly ridiculous. Is Lambert one of those who could? Maybe. Why not? You've shown with your post hes got some pedigree to suggest he could. 

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

Instead of just blindly saying Yes, No, No, NO, Hell No! to managers...have a look at their record, and actually dissect it.

Lambert did the hard yards in lower league. And did it well at Wycombe & Colchester.

Then went to Norwich totally turned around a car crash of a football club (at the time). Successive promotions, followed by consolidation in the Premier League.

Then Aston Villa. Shackled with financial limitations throughout his time there, he kept Villa in the Premier League, whilst developing some good young players. As soon as he left the club, Villa were in free fall...Sherwood, Garde, Di Matteo & now Bruce have all failed to produce anything like Lambert did whilst he was there. He did a very underrated job at Villa.

Then comes two poor decisions from Lambert's point of view...Blackburn & Wolves. However, his record at both of these clubs, were still respectable. Left both of these clubs because he wasn't going to have a bigger enough say in transfers etc. 

Far too sensible an opinion is that for owlstalk.

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

I wonder how many defending Carlos today were happy when the odds on "Carlos Kickabout" first slashed that day when it became obvious he was coming. What about Dave Jones or (to a probably lesser extent at the time) Paul Sturrock who both won promotions? 

People on here seem to love compiling long lists of reasons why managers won't be good enough. All I'm bothered about is the increasingly long list of reasons why the current one definitely isn't. 

Carlos needs to go. For me that much is clear. I also think the suggestion that there isn't ANYBODY out there who could do better with what Carlos has got and had is utterly ridiculous. Is Lambert one of those who could? Maybe. Why not? You've shown with your post hes got some pedigree to suggest he could. 

Exactly.

There isn't a manager out there, who would be interested in the Sheffield Wednesday job, who either isn't experienced or hasn't had a perceived failure somewhere during their managerial career.

Some of the suggestions are delusional. 

The fact is, we have one of the best squad's in this division. Our attacking options, in my opinion, are as good as any in the division. But, we're suffering from a lack of balance, and a tactical quandary, where we seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. We are often favour a (disorganised) solidity which starves our attacking threat or throw everything the opposition, but look just as likely to concede at the other end. 

For me, the list against Carlos has grown, and continues to grow, to a point now where enough's enough. It's disappointing. The majority of Wednesdayite's have a lot of time for him, but you cannot keep making the elementary mistakes, stubbornly sticking to flawed principles, and expect things to change. 

All this talk about Karanka been negative is baffling. Karanka was labelled negative during the Premiership campaign, where he seemed to lose total confidence in his players, due to the board's failure to land the players he wanted to bring to the club. But, what Karanka has always instilled in his teams, is an organisation and discipline that this current Wednesday side is severely lacking. I would have no problem, Karanka coming in, and making us a side that favours defensive solidity. Because, he'll do it in an organised manner, which in turn would lead to more attacking opportunities. 

Lambert is a versatile manager, with no set stubborn principles or philosophies. He'll go direct when needed, he's had his teams playing good football. Again, his sides are always been organised. 

It's got the point now, where I think the majority of managers would get more from this squad. I honestly believe, if we get rid of Carlos now, and get the appointment right, we could be in for a spectacular 2nd half of the season. The players currently know no different. I'm sure they like Carlos, but it's all very familiar. A new face, with new ideas, could inspire these players to produce some much improved, more consistent performances, and a fantastic run in the 2nd half of the season.

I actually wanted Lambert when Gray went.

I think he’d be an excellent appointment although considering he left Wolves because he wasn’t going to be given the final say over transfers so I’m not sure he’d come here.

As usual, a top post from Fras. 

Guest Bagarri
14 minutes ago, burncross owl10 said:

I don't think Pearson would get a job at a Thai owned club ever again so I think we can cross him off the list.

Pearson is working as manager for a Belgian team, who are owned by the Thai owners from Leicester...

21 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Bang on.

Fans have been very quick to turn their noses up at the 3 names mentioned today (Karanka, Lambert, Moyes) by Nixon (who in fairness was the first to break the news of Carlos coming here) but when you look at their CV’s compared to that of Carlos when he got the job, each one of theirs is far more impressive.

2 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

I actually wanted Lambert when Gray went.

I think he’d be an excellent appointment although considering he left Wolves because he wasn’t going to be given the final say over transfers so I’m not sure he’d come here.

That's my worry with any "respectable" manager who'd want the job.

Lambert.

Karanka.

Moyes.

All would insist on the final say over transfers. And they can demand that, because their record and reputation allows them to. 

However, someone, desperate for a big job, with a record or experience to count on, would take this job, on the premise of accepting whatever their get thrown at them. Like Carlos. His reputation, previous to coming to Wednesday, could not allow him to come here and start dictating whats what. 

That's why I fear, we'll end up with an unknown from Europe, or a manager who's record does not warrant him the job at Hillsborough.