I Finally Lost Confidence In Carlos Today

Apologies for starting yet another thread on the subject, but I really want to get my own thoughts down rather than reply to someone else.

Admittedly I've been a Carlos sceptic for a long time now. I've had a feeling for a while that he peaked very early in his time with us and that he doesn't have what it takes to get us promoted. But I've always held off from suggesting he get the sack. Obviously we reached the playoffs in each of the last two seasons, and on that basis alone I thought he deserved at least another crack at finishing the job off. It's also clear that at our best we're a match for anyone. So, despite my reservations, I've taken the view that we should persist with him in the hope that we might somehow take a step forward.

Today, I finally lost patience.

It's not the fact that we lost. It's not even the fact we lost against a side who couldn't buy a win before today and who already look like relegation certainties. It's the fact that it was all so predictable.

Some fans will undoubtedly say that we were unlucky today, maybe even that we were robbed. That we're only 5 points outside the play-offs with three quarters of the season remaining. That we're as good as anyone else in this league and that with a couple of good results things will look much brighter. And I wouldn't deny any of that.

But two and a quarter seasons into his time as head coach a pattern has clearly emerged. One of deeply frustrating inconsistency. Of occasional highs followed by inexplicable lows. Of a failure to build on good results and good performances, and an all to frequent inability to beat limited opposition. Today really was an ideal opportunity to start putting our season back on track. The scenario could have been tailor made for us but, as has happened so often in the past we failed to capitalise.

I honestly believe that if we had any sort of consistency and had actually taken the points we ought to have taken against pedestrian or struggling teams we would be top of the Championship. But we don't and we haven't. And I think unless we get this sorted we can forget about promotion.

And today, I finally lost any confidence in Carlos' ability to do this. I've seen too many false dawns while he's been in charge, and after today I no longer believe that he can get the team performing at the consistently high level needed to get us promoted. We could go on a good run now, but even if we did I'm convinced, deep down, that we'd follow it with a couple of embarrassing set backs.

So, here it is. I finally think Carlos should go. A few weeks ago I was all for giving him till the end of the season, but if he can't deliver consistency then it's a waste of time persisting with him. We might as well try someone else while there's enough of the season left to turn things around. I don't feel good about saying that. I think he's a likeable man who does care for us, and I appreciate the good times we've had while he's been here. But there's no room for sentiment in this business. Carlos is paid a lot of money to engineer a way of getting us promoted, and as I see it he's failing in that task.

I just no longer think he's the right man for the job.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Apologies for starting yet another thread on the subject, but I really want to get my own thoughts down rather than reply to someone else.

Admittedly I've been a Carlos sceptic for a long time now. I've had a feeling for a while that he peaked very early in his time with us and that he doesn't have what it takes to get us promoted. But I've always held off from suggesting he get the sack. Obviously we reached the playoffs in each of the last two seasons, and on that basis alone I thought he deserved at least another crack at finishing the job off. It's also clear that at our best we're a match for anyone. So, despite my reservations, I've taken the view that we should persist with him in the hope that we might somehow take a step forward.

It's not the fact that we lost. It's not even the fact we lost against a side who couldn't buy a win before today and who already look like relegation certainties. It's the fact that it was all so predictable.

Some fans will undoubtedly say that we were unlucky today, maybe even that we were robbed. That we're only 5 points outside the play-offs with three quarters of the season remaining. That we're as good as anyone else in this league and that with a couple of good results things will look much brighter. And I wouldn't deny any of that.

But two and a quarter seasons into his time as head coach a pattern has clearly emerged. One of deeply frustrating inconsistency. Of occasional highs followed by inexplicable lows. Of a failure to build on good results and good performances, and an all to frequent inability to beat limited opposition. Today really was an ideal opportunity to start putting our season back on track. The scenario could have been tailor made for us but, as has happened so often in the past we failed to capitalise.

I honestly believe that if we had any sort of consistency and had actually taken the points we ought to have taken against pedestrian or struggling teams we would be top of the Championship. But we don't and we haven't. And I think unless we get this sorted we can forget about promotion.

And today, I finally lost any confidence in Carlos' ability to do this. I've seen too many false dawns while he's been in charge, and after today I no longer believe that he can get the team performing at the consistently high level needed to get us promoted. We could go on a good run now, but even if we did I'm convinced, deep down, that we'd follow it with a couple of embarrassing set backs.

So, here it is. I finally think Carlos should go. A few weeks ago I was all for giving him till the end of the season, but if he can't deliver consistency then it's a waste of time persisting with him. We might as well try someone else while there's enough of the season left to turn things around. I don't feel good about saying that. I think he's a likeable man who does care for us, and I appreciate the good times we've had while he's been here. But there's no room for sentiment in this business. Carlos is paid a lot of money to engineer a way of getting us promoted, and as I see it he's failing in that task.

Hallelujah.

2 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I lost Confidence in him after last season`s play off embarrassment. 

Ditto. I just couldn't understand anyone wanting him retained after that debacle, unfortunately DC disagreed. The even more worrying thing is, there is not one instance during his chequered managerial career that suggests he can pull this out of the fire...

Edited by Almat

Simple fact of the matter is that it’s a mediocre division this year. Blunts being second is proof of this. Not a team of world beaters but they aren’t afraid or over cautious about who they are playing. May not be there at the end of the season but ask the blunt fans is they’re enjoying it. He’ll yea. Where as we are merely going through the motions and giving far to much credit to teams that are no where near (on paper) as good as us. We need to man up one way or another.

2 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Well said. We are predictable - we are always poor in the games with teams at the bottom of the table, we are generally poor in first halves of games. We have no pace and we are soft centred. I could have posted this 2 years ago. Carlos is deluded and stubborn and will not rectify the errors in his ways.

Just now, Almat said:

Ditto. I just couldn't understand anyone wanting him retained after that debacle, unfortunately DC disagreed. 

He should have been replace in the summer. He had two cracks at it and failed to get us over the line twice. He has run out of ideas. 

9 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Good post sir and echoes mine and i dare say many others feelings.

Yes I like the guy too but it’s a cut throat business and let’s be honest if he is sacked he won’t be selling the big issue in Braga anytime soon. 

Didn’t he manage 10 clubs in 10 years or something similar? Well it’s taken us 2 and a bit seasons to understand why. 

Started great, couldn’t win the crucial games now can’t win the games against the weak teams. Time to go. 

I really think that Carlos, and perhaps the Chairman, suffer from delusions of grandeur.

"We're a big club with amazing fans, we've paid big bucks for our squad, they are paid huge salaries, we can strut our way out of this league " I also wonder whether the Chairman is wary of Carlos and the obvious fact that he doesn't react well to criticism. We've seen him loose it at press conferences... maybe the Chairman is delaying the "serious talk"

5 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Yes I like the guy too but it’s a cut throat business and let’s be honest if he is sacked he won’t be selling the big issue in Braga anytime soon. 

Didn’t he manage 10 clubs in 10 years or something similar? Well it’s taken us 2 and a bit seasons to understand why. 

Started great, couldn’t win the crucial games now can’t win the games against the weak teams. Time to go. 

I'll second this, really like him but the longer we keep him the more we will stagnate. It's no good losing two, three on the bounce and then turning up for one game. Maybe that would be acceptable of you were aiming for survival. Chansiri needs to act now. Otherwise it'll be another season of failure

25 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Amen to that