Could Sheffield Wednesday win in a playoff final?

28 minutes ago, Carbone said:

If we won those games, he would be to you, I guarantee.

And you clearly didn't watch the 2nd leg then or weren't paying attention, we had more than enough chances to win that game.

"If it's and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas "

By now sat in the bottom 3 of the Prem 

Still arguingthetoss on how bobbar we are ?:manager:

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST

As I said, yes of course we can, but against that, all our shortcomings remain

Our strongest side wouldn't actually be much different to the one that lost the final 

It's a sad indictment of our transfer policy, that we've spent millions on more than a dozen players since Wembley, and not really improved our starting eleven

2 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Finishing in the top 6 is great if you grab your chance and you get promoted, ultimately finishing in the top 6 means feck all to us as we are still in the same division.

I fully expect us to be top 6 again this season, I fully expect Carlos to bottle it and we will be playing championship football again next season.

The players bottled it not the manager and Huddersfield had all the luck by getting promoted without winning games in normal time. NO one can predict play offs.

2 hours ago, OzOwl said:

On the surface you are correct but my remarks are targeted at the total lack of bottle we show against sides that ordinary teams dismantle in minutes, Birmingham is a classic example, when/if he can address those deficiencies we will stop dropping silly points that cost us the top two last season, I suggest dropping the home and away policy for starters and get in teams faces from the first minute.

Play offs are a lottery simple as, don't matter how you got there.

The first season we came up against a strong hull side and we showed that we lacked the physicality on the huge Wembley pitch losing the midfield battles but last seasons 2 games against Huddersfield was frustrating we let ourselves down.I could take the draw at their place but we needed to be stronger at home especially after going a goal up.It still annoys me that Huddersfield didnt win any of the 3 games against us and reading but got promoted on the back of 2 penalty shoot outs.Mental toughness is required as well as physical toughness to get promotion

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Eh?

Shows he took the feedback on-board and employed a different approach and strategy to win the next big game

Maybe nobody inside the SWFC bubble gave him the feedback that Andy Giddings has given him?

So he needed some home truths from a no name radio presenter not even involved in the football world, for him to change his approach? 

9 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Despite significant investment, and a further years experience, exactly the same flaws remain

That kind of sums up some of the problem to me, even if not in the way you probably intended it to: we've only been building for promotion for a couple of years.

We made such a leap forward in our first season its warped our perspective of what can be expected in such a short space of time. There will always be outliers (Huddersfield, Blackpool, etc), but you can't "plan" to be one of those teams, you can only keep building and progressing as we are. Last season we progressed. This season has been a relative disappointment so far, but it's too early to say we won't be challenging the top 4 again. If we're still more than a couple of wins from the top 6 come the mid-way point I'd see that as a legitimate time to start questioning a change. I have no doubt that another manager could take us forward quicker, but at the same time, there are 10 others who could take us backwards...

But to answer the question, of course we could win a play-off finallol

1 hour ago, bigthinrob said:

Hooray!! Football's back at the weekend and all the CC out doom merchants bang on cue come crawling out of the woodwork ready to launch their next big campaign soon as we slip up. (Or in this case, before we f******n slip up)

Oh no not again, please carry on from the leeds game, anything less than a win will put me on a real downer

4 minutes ago, horny owl said:

Not a chance with Carlos in charge

He's proved he's not up to it on more than one occasion 

No he hasn't 

We've only been in one Play-off final under CC so the absolute worst he could have done is proved he's not up to it on one occasion 

And thats complete rounduns too

1 minute ago, Lawrie Madden said:

No he hasn't 

We've only been in one Play-off final under CC so the absolute worst he could have done is proved he's not up to it on one occasion 

And thats complete rounduns too

Yes he has

we bottled it against Hull

Then we bottled it against Huddersfield and as a result didn't even make it to the final

The result against the pigs was also predictable with Carlos in charge.

Some people might still have confidence in him to somehow change and get us to perform for the big 'one off' games

Ive seen enough of him to believe he hasn't got what it takes.

1 minute ago, horny owl said:

Yes he has

Then we bottled it against Huddersfield and as a result didn't even make it to the final

Some people might still have confidence in him to somehow change and get us to perform for the big 'one off' games

Weve also won some big games. You cant just choose games weve lost. 

3 minutes ago, horny owl said:

Yes he has

So how many finals ? that would be one in context of the original question 

And we didn't bottle it against Hull we were outplayed on the day by a better side 

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

To be fair to him he took all the criticism and responsibility after the United game and thrashed Leeds in STYLE

Leeds win is just one match in isolation.  

CC may have been in charge of teams in big derbys but he is yet to win one as a manager.  

His excuse about nerves is nonsense - He was out thought on every level by Wilder, a manager who knows how to get a team promoted.

Besed on what we have seen so far I don't have the confidence CC can get us over the line.

On another note, Steve Bruce starting to do what he does best at Villa - wonder what the reaction would be here if he got two teams promoted at our expense? 

The sound of pennies dropping perhaps as people finally realise what type of manager is needed to get teams promoted 

Edited by Earlsfieldowl