On This Day - 150 Years Ago

4 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

Where Highfield Library is/was?

Highfield Library isn't on or close to Bramall Lane. It's on London Road by the Junction with Abbeydale Rd so even as the crow flies a good 1/4 mile or more from Bramall Lane.

I was thinking of where Bramall Lane, Queens Rd and IIRC Alderson Road (or maybe even Shoreham Street) all come together. There is (or was) a huge pub on that corner (pretty much opposite Monks) and there used to be a football pitch immediately behind it.

Sheaf House is mentioned in our past history, but isn't shown as the first ground, although given this was a practice match it's a possibility. Having said that if it were Sheaf House (which was well known at the time) surely the press article would have been more specific?

1 minute ago, Utah Owl said:

Sheaf House is mentioned in our past history, but isn't shown as the first ground, although given this was a practice match it's a possibility. Having said that if it were Sheaf House (which was well known at the time) surely the press article would have been more specific?

I found this drawing of the Lane in 1868 - doesn't look like there was that much around there then.

59df76a40940c_BL1868.jpeg.263116eb82122199e0670b594fe039aa.jpeg;-)

Most of the houses in that area date from the 1870's so the actual "pitch" we first practised on may well have been built over shortly afterwards. The big pub at the junction with Queens Rd has a date stone of 1879 on it which can clearly be seen on Google Street View.

Unless someone unearths a more specific article or an old photo or drawing I guess we'll never know for sure, however from our history it is clear that we played at several locations all over that particular vicinity long before the other lot ever came into existence.

• Like 1