Prices

Guest Deleted member
1 hour ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

That much prattle these days, you're like a bunch of Middle aged mothers. Why don't you all get yourselves a pair of Size 8 knitting needles two balls of wool and get knitting your own scarves. That's what our Mums used to do ! 

You'd rather they closed Owlstalk down wouldn't you Nev

3 hours ago, MOwl said:

Club towel = £20 - About right

Club scarf = £12 - About right

Club 150th medal = £20 - About right

Two books = £35 - About right

Last years home kit = £55 - RIDICULOUS

Track jacket = £50 - A bit on the pricey side

3 hours ago, Ash76 said:

Actually the kit is better quality than last years

Also you say our merchandise is priced much higher than others but have presented anything to substantiate this claim

https://www.medocmall.co.uk/cgi-bin/live/ecommerce.pl?site=theclubshop_wolves&state=products&dept_id=10&sub_dept_id=10

Wednesday's prices have a roughly 20% mark up on the team 2nd in the division

Home Shirt £55 (for last chuffing years) vs £45
Game Day T-Shirt £25 vs £30
Official Polo £30 vs £35

5 hours ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

You have a choice to buy it or not, nobody is forcing you. 

The amount of moaning and bitching on here makes you wonder whether some are really Owls

True but supporting a club means sticking by them. The majority of us were there through the dark days and probably feel like we deserve better for our loyalty. When loyal fans are priced out it's a big shame. If Tesco became too expensive you'd go to Asda. Football is an entirely different business because the customers won't go elsewhere. Football clubs, not just ours, know this and take the p155 knowing we find it hard to turn our backs on them, choose what happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, archieswfc said:

True but supporting a club means sticking by them. The majority of us were there through the dark days and probably feel like we deserve better for our loyalty. When loyal fans are priced out it's a big shame. If Tesco became too expensive you'd go to Asda. Football is an entirely different business because the customers won't go elsewhere. Football clubs, not just ours, know this and take the p155 knowing we find it hard to turn our backs on them, choose what happens.

Your first sentence contradicts the rest of it. My definition of loyalty differs from a few on here, the amount of bitching/ sniping at the club must be at its peak yet we're being treated to our highest position in 20 years. It's baffling. 

As for dark days many of us have suffered with those whilst supporting Wednesday. These aren't dark days, nowhere near em but some folk are acting like it's the end of the world.

I appreciate not everybody can afford to go to every game but why should the club make drastic allowances for the 2/3 game per season folk. You can guarantee they'd baulk at for example, £15 mid-week for Bolton but if we get ManU in cup they'd happily fork out £45 without batting an eyelid..

What always strikes me when prices are mentioned it's always the highest price seat that gets highlighted, there are cheaper seats available. 

I'm lucky now that I can afford games quite easily but that's not always been the case. In years gone by I used to scrimp and save for my season ticket, never smoked, only had the few odd night outs and didn't have exotic holidays. Back then my "couldn't afford the ticket" mates would be on the lash most nights, smoke like chimneys and be always going away. 

What did I get for my loyalty back then? Turgid football mostly.

Now we have a Chairman that argulaby 80% of other clubs would gladly have and folk do nowt but moan constantly. You want loyalty show him some. 

3 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

That much prattle these days, you're like a bunch of Middle aged mothers. Why don't you all get yourselves a pair of Size 8 knitting needles two balls of wool and get knitting your own scarves. That's what our Mums used to do ! 

Wait till we hammer Bolton Nev instant mood changer. :biggrin:

To be fair I wouldn't say £12 for a club scarf or £20 for the towel is bad. You've got to bear in mind that they sort of have to price them higher than you would pay from a large chain of shops to make it worthwhile producing them as the customer base is quite limited. In general though I'd agree a lot of things are way overpriced, tickets being the most obvious and important one. 

1 hour ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Your first sentence contradicts the rest of it. My definition of loyalty differs from a few on here, the amount of bitching/ sniping at the club must be at its peak yet we're being treated to our highest position in 20 years. It's baffling. 

As for dark days many of us have suffered with those whilst supporting Wednesday. These aren't dark days, nowhere near em but some folk are acting like it's the end of the world.

I appreciate not everybody can afford to go to every game but why should the club make drastic allowances for the 2/3 game per season folk. You can guarantee they'd baulk at for example, £15 mid-week for Bolton but if we get ManU in cup they'd happily fork out £45 without batting an eyelid..

What always strikes me when prices are mentioned it's always the highest price seat that gets highlighted, there are cheaper seats available. 

I'm lucky now that I can afford games quite easily but that's not always been the case. In years gone by I used to scrimp and save for my season ticket, never smoked, only had the few odd night outs and didn't have exotic holidays. Back then my "couldn't afford the ticket" mates would be on the lash most nights, smoke like chimneys and be always going away. 

What did I get for my loyalty back then? Turgid football mostly.

Now we have a Chairman that argulaby 80% of other clubs would gladly have and folk do nowt but moan constantly. You want loyalty show him some. 

I've shown loyalty myself by buying a season ticket and taking my son every week, but not everyone has the same circumstances as myself. There's a line for everyone, including myself and yourself, where you have to cut back on what you spend on football. Mortgages and children come first. As for contradicting myself with the first sentence, I'm not sure how. My point is that you can only be as loyal as your funds allow you to be. 

6 hours ago, MOwl said:

Disclaimer: this will end up being a rant 

Sheffield Wednesday fans are loyal, passionate and mad about the club they support

On the field, the team is doing OK/well - achieving the playoffs in consecutive seasons

Off the field, things are entirely different and that has been heavily discussed on this very forum over the past few days

But what it really boils down to me, and this issue really does truly boil my wee wee, is how much everything costs

The ticket prices have made many stop regularly attending - but, I can see why it's happening 

But its the rest of the stuff that has increased in price which is the issue

Corporate boxes are disgracefully expensive now and logging on to the club shop online opens an entirely new barrel of worms

Club towel = £20

Club scarf = £12

Club 150th medal = £20

Two books = £35

Last years home kit = £55

Track jacket = £50

All of the prices are EXPENSIVE. And when you compare them to competitors - who are built to a higher standard And quality - it gets even more shocking

What it all strikes me as is the club taking the wee wee out of the fans because they know they'll pay

Personally I'm sad about the current state of the club. We arent a friendly, fan based club anymore. The owners dont give two hoots about the average fan, it's all about making more money

The best example of this is the new kits

Taken to a factory in another country to cut costs 

To make more money

The new kits will be of a lower quality but will be £60+ 

It's a shame, because on the field it's great. But off it, I dont remember a time where I've felt more disillusioned with Sheffield Wednesday 

Chansiri has come in and done what every fan wants and make us good on the pitch - but off the pitch we are an absolute state. 

It really is a sad time to be an Owls fan, in our 150th anniversary year too

I actually quite strongly disagree (apart from last year's kit but I can only think that is some kind of contractual thing with Sondico that we can claim back down the line).

I had a wander around the shop last week and ended up buying a couple of shirts (casual).  They were decent prices (£25-35 range) and decent quality.  There was quite a bit of stuff that I liked the look of but didn't buy because I could have quite easily spent a couple of hundred quid.  At no point did I pick anything up and put it back because I thought it was overly expensive.  

You have to put some context on it.  You're going to pay a premium for having the club badge on, that's just simple and the case at every club in the world.

Here's some context for you.  In the summer I was in Marseille and having a Chris Waddle shaped soft spot for them I went in their club shop in the town centre.  I left not spending a single Euro.  A shirt was €75 (no name and number) or up to €110 with.  Oh and that was last season's kit too and on sale.  There was a really nice adidas jacket that I liked the look of, yeah €199.  Even the basic t-shirts were about €50 for a really basic adidas t-shirt with the club badge stuck on.

People are just looking for issues I think now and it's not hard to find when you start looking.  The number of people I've heard moaning about the kit, but when challenged admit they wouldn't buy one and haven't for years baffles me.  It's like me moaning about the morning traffic on the M25.

Just not bothered...

I think ticket prices are getting on the expensive side, but in fairness we have assembled the best squad we've had in many a year and that doesn't come cheap.

Fans will have the final say and this will ultimately be reflected in the gates.

Commercially I think we have lost our way, we have a very passionate and loyal fanbase but serving up poor quality merchandise at inflated prices will fail.

Need to carry out some fundamental market research to properly understand what products we'd like to see and what our price expectations are.

I get the sense they are clutching at straws, I was in the store last week and have to say how underwhelmed both the quality and prices of goods. The potential is there but they are in danger of wasting it.

Edited by Rhubarb n Custard

4 hours ago, Grandad said:

There are literally thousands of places you can buy merchandise associated with the club from these days - on the internet. Buy from there. I have  mate who knocks out sweathsirts at a much higher quality than you can buy in the club shop at £20 a time - with an embroidered badge on. Its warm, great quality and isnt in some of the cheap and tacky range of colours you can get in the shop.

Stop worrying about the merchandise. The chairman clearly doesn't give a f*** if anybody is buying from there.

I wonder why he doesn't give a f*ck if people are looking to undercut and make money at the expense of a club they're supposed to be a supporter of? 

6 hours ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

You have a choice to buy it or not, nobody is forcing you. 

The amount of moaning and bitching on here makes you wonder whether some are really Owls

What an absolute weird post to make on a public forum to fellow Wednesday fans just expressing a concern regarding things way too expensive .

Seriously pal, if you don't want to read anyone moaning don't read it or even better don't reply.

The way things are being currently handled down at Hillsborough I'm surprised we haven't read more disgruntled customers (fans).

At the end of this season 'we' will have lost LOST £39 million pounds in 3 years. Of that at least £24 million is the chairman's own money.

The money has been spent fairly successfully on a project turning us from lower table fodder to a top six side and genuine premier contender. This is pure venture capitalism. A giant bet if you like but probably enjoyable even if DC loses and good for the chairman's ego too.

We the fans are paying higher prices across a number of areas to fund the project at the margins but to say the fans always pay isn't true. We know where we would be without a rich owner.

A mate of mine only went to the 10 quid games and bought the cheap kit at the end of the season. He used to moan how crap we were and how shxt the players were. Bet that's plenty on here too.Fair enough but that isn't going to beat the FFP straightjacket.