Disrespectful names

4 hours ago, zico.b said:

Portsmouth and Southampton is a tasty rivalry.

Portsmouth call them 'Scummers'.

Southampton call them 'Skates'.

The reason they're called the Scummers is because of the bame of the firm that crossed the picket line during the socking strike - Southampton Community Union Men. 

Pompey lads have always called members of the Royal Navy 'skates' due to the days of all male ships, where the Matelots would get their sexual kicks from fornicating with the mouth of the skate, which apparently resembles a lady's nether region. 

Due to the lack of originality, in recent years the Scummers have taken it upon theirselves to name Pompey lads 'skates'.  A bit like Blades fans with their ordnance sureveys, the Scummers have altered the story to suit their agenda. 

3 minutes ago, poite said:

Tbh I'm surprised the utd fans haven't started calling us 'the blunts' by now.

Isn't that how it normally works with them?

To be fair, they've been calling us that for years; long before we started using it against them.

My mate's uncle's housecleaner's brother-in-law apparently has an old newspaper clipping which shows United fans were using it as an insult for Wednesdayites as early as 1853.

:duntmatter:

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Pompeyowl said:

The reason they're called the Scummers is because of the bame of the firm that crossed the picket line during the socking strike - Southampton Community Union Men. 

Pompey lads have always called members of the Royal Navy 'skates' due to the days of all male ships, where the Matelots would get their sexual kicks from fornicating with the mouth of the skate, which apparently resembles a lady's nether region. 

Due to the lack of originality, in recent years the Scummers have taken it upon theirselves to name Pompey lads 'skates'.  A bit like Blades fans with their ordnance sureveys, the Scummers have altered the story to suit their agenda. 

I was told years ago whilst eating Skate by a well informed Gent ..

That it was and still is illegal for anyone to carry a whole skate on UK mainland 

Always was a bit of a "Count" my mate..

1 hour ago, s73owl said:

What about offensive names though? lol

Ya mean like that old king of England, wee pipe Dashit ??  Better known as Richard the tuuurd. lol 

Feckin thing that changes words. Good job my name ain't D ick pmsl

Edited by cognacbarnowl
Eh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, wednesdayok said:

Pigs and Weeds spring to mind when we refer to those 2 pointless clubs, but various clubs round the country must have a few when refering to us, I remember when we played Napoli in Italy the home fans called us "Merda Inglese" ahh the memories

Well we did lose 5-1 in Napoli so they weren't wrong.

But we beat Napoli 6-0 in 1958-9 at Hillsboro in front of 29,000.   They were 'reyt eyetie shybo' in the local dialect.

Name calling is silly.  Makes us sound like 5 year olds.  Cut it out, you lot.  Also the pointing and fixed staring from the North stand West side.

• Haha 1