Anyone remember this little nugget of goodness?

I remember we were really expected to struggle that season and people were only giving David Pleat 4 games before he was gone. So was a big surprise when we were top after a month.

Finished a respectable 7th in the end but remember we drew a lot of games. Remember really enjoying that season but gates looking back were not that great. Football seems to be a lot bigger and more fashionable these days.

8 hours ago, roaminowl said:

T'other way around, I think. We lost at home to Chelsea before losing at Arsenal.

Yes you’re right.

8 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It was Chelsea before Arsenal, we were still top after losing 2-0 at home to them. 

The Man Utd game was in March, best account I've seen us give at Old Trafford as we've conceded 3, 4 and 6 on my other 3 visits.

As you say a European place was very much up for grabs going into the final few games. I saw us concede 4 midweek at Blackburn & was gutted to be missing the trip to West Ham the following week due to a family do - we went and conceded 5!

The Wimbledon cup defeat was a reyt let down. Ours was the last quarter final to be played and we knew that Chelsea, Middlesbrough and Chesterfield had got through. Chelsea had yet to become a real force so there was a genuine chance of doing something. I vaguely remember Whittingham missing a decent chance and that was about all we had to offer.

iirc Chelsea knocked us off the top with that win.  If you look at the table we'd played on the Monday night brought forward for Sky so us and Leicester played a game more than anybody else at that stage, everybody else played on the Tuesday or Wednesday to close the 5 point gap. It all went a bit titsup after that, although we did finish a creditable 7th that season.

7 minutes ago, alanharper said:

iirc Chelsea knocked us off the top with that win.  If you look at the table we'd played on the Monday night brought forward for Sky so us and Leicester played a game more than anybody else at that stage, everybody else played on the Tuesday or Wednesday to close the 5 point gap. It all went a bit titsup after that, although we did finish a creditable 7th that season.

Tried to edit but too late

Actuall,y being sad enough to check the results Chelsea drew their next game with Arsenal so you're right we'd still have been top after the Chelsea defeat. For a bit.

15 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

22279728_10154923925156709_8699687504212749972_n.jpg

Picture says it all. The best place to be for the best team on the planet (mild over-exaggeration there for those diehard loonies)

lol

Anyway - remember this happening?

Yeah I think we went to Highbury went a goal up and then got battered by 4 or 5 goals live on tv to knock us off top spot

18 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

22279728_10154923925156709_8699687504212749972_n.jpg

Picture says it all. The best place to be for the best team on the planet (mild over-exaggeration there for those diehard loonies)

lol

Anyway - remember this happening?

That’s a pretty fair representation of this country’s biggest clubs

Replace Blackburn, Coventry and Wimbledon with Man City, West Brom, and Wolves

And you’ve got all this country’s finest

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

55 minutes ago, lawsom34 said:

He's manager at Salisbury now, I live next to their ground and he played in a pre season game for them this year. Good honest bloke seems proper down to earth when you speak to him.

Believe it or not I have actually met him before aswell. Just seems to never give us any credit for doing anything good.