Anyone remember this little nugget of goodness?

7 minutes ago, archieswfc said:

Who was it that said that?

Johan Cruyff

Humphries earned £190 quid a week then. 

Goal of the month and top of the Premiership.

How times change.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2592679/From-Premier-League-rising-star-PFA-chairman-Ritchie-Humphreys-ready-grasp-Wembley-chance-hands.html

Edited by Teflon Don

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

That is to be fair an awesome chip. 

Hazard done that today. Pundits be going mental over it.

only us could unearth a talent lauded like he was and manage to ruin him -   love to know what happened

4 minutes ago, steelowl said:

only us could unearth a talent lauded like he was and manage to ruin him -   love to know what happened

I honestly think. Now go with me on this everyone. 

That he may just have had 4 really good games.

( tin hats on ready)

lol

1 hour ago, cognacbarnowl said:

I remember thinking we had found a real gem in Humphries when I saw him do that. Then for some reason Pleat refused to give him an extended run in the team stating that he didn't want to burn him out as he was so young.

And, IIRC, it was after that match when Pleat was bleating that "we've done well so far but we're not safe from relegation yet." FFS, we were top of the league and playing some great football ; I don't think the players would have been too impressed with that statement ; I fecking well wasn't.

Fair play to Pleat. Humphries played till he was 40. 

In League 2 mainly.

2 hours ago, HirstIsGod said:

And 10 of those clubs aren't in the top flight anymore.  2 of which are in League 1 and 1 in League 2.

Still i'd rather play most of those teams than the majority of the current Premier League teams.

Absolutely. 

Personally I like the biggest clubs to be in the biggest league. The occasional side show is ok. 

Us, Leeds, Forrest, Derby, Boro, etc.. should be top flight. 

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

22279728_10154923925156709_8699687504212749972_n.jpg

Picture says it all. The best place to be for the best team on the planet (mild over-exaggeration there for those diehard loonies)

lol

Anyway - remember this happening?

Indeed, first few games into a new season and we were 5 points clear. Not fancied to do anything that season we had a brilliant start and had a fresh faced young kid grabbing the headlines and being talked up as the next big thing. What could possibly go wrong?

1 hour ago, crookesowl said:

Absolutely. 

Personally I like the biggest clubs to be in the biggest league. The occasional side show is ok. 

Us, Leeds, Forrest, Derby, Boro, etc.. should be top flight. 

Don't agree.

Many Leeds fans are rather unpleasant,  to say the least.

The "Millwall of the North"

Best thing that could happen would be a winding up order for that lot.

lol

We went to arsenal away after that game - 1 nil up through booth and hirsty hit the bar at 1 nil with a 100mph + shot.

let 4 in in the second half then got beat 2-0 off Chelsea at home.

good season though. Needed 6 points from last 4 games to qualify for Europe and got 1.....

Went to Man U in 5th in April and hirsty missed a one on one at nil nil.

also ended up with an fa cup quarter final at home to Wimbledon and contrived to lose.

3 hours ago, cognacbarnowl said:

I remember thinking we had found a real gem in Humphries when I saw him do that. Then for some reason Pleat refused to give him an extended run in the team stating that he didn't want to burn him out as he was so young.

And, IIRC, it was after that match when Pleat was bleating that "we've done well so far but we're not safe from relegation yet." FFS, we were top of the league and playing some great football ; I don't think the players would have been too impressed with that statement ; I fecking well wasn't.

Pleat was an utter cockwipe

54 minutes ago, ka58 said:

We went to arsenal away after that game - 1 nil up through booth and hirsty hit the bar at 1 nil with a 100mph + shot.

T'other way around, I think. We lost at home to Chelsea before losing at Arsenal.

1 hour ago, ka58 said:

good season though. Needed 6 points from last 4 games to qualify for Europe and got 1.....

Went to Man U in 5th in April and hirsty missed a one on one at nil nil.

also ended up with an fa cup quarter final at home to Wimbledon and contrived to lose.

It was Chelsea before Arsenal, we were still top after losing 2-0 at home to them. 

The Man Utd game was in March, best account I've seen us give at Old Trafford as we've conceded 3, 4 and 6 on my other 3 visits.

As you say a European place was very much up for grabs going into the final few games. I saw us concede 4 midweek at Blackburn & was gutted to be missing the trip to West Ham the following week due to a family do - we went and conceded 5!

The Wimbledon cup defeat was a reyt let down. Ours was the last quarter final to be played and we knew that Chelsea, Middlesbrough and Chesterfield had got through. Chelsea had yet to become a real force so there was a genuine chance of doing something. I vaguely remember Whittingham missing a decent chance and that was about all we had to offer.

I know this is sour grapes, but ourselves included, there's a lot of glamorous teams in that league table that are nowhere now. Leeds, Villa, Forest... Even Derby and Blackburn. It's not the same sitting down for Super Sunday and it's Swansea vs Bournemouth.