Football was RUBBISH in the 1960's

10 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

The players of the 60's, Best, Charlton, Law, Moore, Hurst, Astle, Cooke, Chivers etc, all could play in todays game, I cannot think of many of todays prima donnas who could have played then.

Give over...any player playing in the top 4 divisions today would have been a professional footballer in the 60's....perhaps Nuhiu might have struggled if you want something to hold on to .....and Jones.....and Fox.....Boyd perhaps

• Haha 1

Brilliant post 

Cannot believe you have been ignored ..

Much that I idolised all of above you are correct 

Only exception I think  was a player my dad banged on about and many others too from "Black n White Britain" was Tom Finney 

Dad said he was the complete footballer quick clever sober and dedicated ( and a really good plumber too apparently) 

The famous story of his hat trick against Chelsea in the Fa Cup (the game with the famous photo of him sliding in the water -- if you have visited Deepdale you will have seen the water sculpture)

And at six O'clock that evening still in his kit with toolbag in hand went to a call out to repair a leaking cistern....

Can just  imagine Suarez doing just that this weekend............

Football wasn’t rubbish - it was where it was at the time - but those teams would get beat by a cricket score against modern day teams.

On 10/9/2017 at 17:54, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Yeah you're right Football was rubbish in the 60's. So rubbish 135,000 turned up for this one lol

That penalty decision

WTF:

6 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

Ah!, but with modern day techniques they would not be as 'Unfit' as you indicate, and do not forget, the best players of that era played 3 times a week, for club and country on, as you say, ploughed fields, so they must have been fit enough, but in a different way to todays players.

It is my belief that todays players are 'over trained, like race horses,leading to injuries to Knees, and Hamstrings and Groins.

They played 3 times a week but they didn't run anywhere near as far or as fast. If you include 5-a-side I sometimes play three times a week, but I'm still unfit (and rubbish) mind.

Also you kind of indicate modern day techniques are some kind of magic wand. That George Best would have obviously found the discipline to lay off the fags and the booze and be transformed into this super clean-living athlete. People knew in the 60s and 70s that his lifestyle was affecting his football. Even though the explicit link to cancer was only emerging in the 60s, it was common sense that smoking, along with excessive drinking and being overweight would affect your fitness. And when you're being paid to run around a lot, then that's a problem.

But because the general levels of fitness were so low in the 60s they could get away with it. Must have been a lot more fun to play then, mind.

26 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

That penalty decision

WTF:

I see that penalty decision and raise you the first goal in that 66 German game (2.20 onwards). So far offside that the guy who scores is not only 4 yards clear of the last defender, he's stood a yard beyond the goalkeeper.

9 hours ago, ka58 said:

Football wasn’t rubbish - it was where it was at the time - but those teams would get beat by a cricket score against modern day teams.

again i'll say it ..not if they played in 1960 kit ,boots ,ball, pitches and probably most importantly 1960 refs and rules ........

8 hours ago, torryowl said:

again i'll say it ..not if they played in 1960 kit ,boots ,ball, pitches and probably most importantly 1960 refs and rules ........

They would still get hammered - sorry but it’s true.

10 minutes ago, ka58 said:

They would still get hammered - sorry but it’s true.

we'll never know will we ...... ive seen both and the early 60s side was certainly more talented/skillful than the present team .i'd guess the modern day squad play at a faster pace but whether they could do that in 60s gear,ball and pitches with no protection from the ref i'm not so sure ...........they'd play at faster pace than the Francis's side of 25 years ago but I wouldn't back them to beat them either .

Great players would be great players in any era.

Given the way that the modern game has improved fitness, skills, pitches, diet and the like, players like Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, George Best, Gordon Banks would all benefit from the advantages the modern game has to offer.

As for England, relatively speaking, look at the squad players who didn't play in the '66 World Cup Final... Springett, Armfield, Greaves, Hunter, Flowers, Paine, Eastham, Bonetti, Byrne... All world class players at the time. Now - again, relatively speaking - compare that bench with the bench of 2017 and you'll soon realise why England will struggle in Russia at the World Cup next year.

It was certainly different!!  Of course, fitness, technology, training, nutrition etc have all improved.  The games are faster with technically more gifted players (every player can bring a high ball down now, only the very best could do it then). BUT, the pitches were mudbaths, the balls were like cannonballs, the tackles were often brutal and kit and equipment heavier and basic. Wages were tiny compared to today. There is no doubt that the games are better now but the whole experience for the spectator?  I'm not sure, and that's not just nostalgia.  The working man and kids could easily afford to go, the game was often entertaining in a different way, and the excitement of seeing players you'd only read about can't be replicated today.  And there was almost no diving, conning the ref or shirt pulling at corners.

• Thanks 1

On 09/10/2017 at 17:28, @owlstalk said:

Have a look at this match from Hillsborough during the World Cup of 1966.

It's like watching a pitch full of Jon Beswetherwick's

1960's football was RUBBISH

Absolute rubbish, all that forward passing and running at defenders.

No sideways and backwards passing or slow build up.

No attempt to retain possesion at all cost

Disgraceful.What on earth were the coaches paid for in those days

7 hours ago, torryowl said:

we'll never know will we ...... ive seen both and the early 60s side was certainly more talented/skillful than the present team .i'd guess the modern day squad play at a faster pace but whether they could do that in 60s gear,ball and pitches with no protection from the ref i'm not so sure ...........they'd play at faster pace than the Francis's side of 25 years ago but I wouldn't back them to beat them either .

They weren’t more talented or skilful. I’m not downplaying the talent of those players - don’t get me wrong.

its not even right to compare.

but put our current team in whatever kit you want and whatever ball on whatever pitch and they would batter that side.

the games moved on - it’s not a criticism of the former just a fact.

Ahh yes,WEDNESDAY getting into Europe, getting to an FA cup final and being in the top flight of English football.... well at least until I started going we wuz lol

but then we got dun fer match fixin’ or at least some of our players did

we wore the blue Arsenil kit too.

I havent read any other replies so my apologies if any of this has already been mentioned...

and we held Word Cup Finals games...