Football was RUBBISH in the 1960's

21 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I went Crazy when Pak do Wick (whatever) put South Korea 3-0 up against Portugal at Goodison Park and the game had been ignored for live coverage !

Eusebio (RIP) sorted that one out though!

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Just watched it on the video in the OP!

The standard is RUBBISH!

lol

It's not about the technical standard of the game though is it. It's about the entertainment value of the overall experience. It was better then, not just for overall entertainment but also because it was as cheap as chips!

Genuine entertainment for the masses, even as a kid you could easily afford to get in out of your pocket money several times over. When I started entry was 6d (2.5p) for nippers! To put that into perspective a bag of chips was 3d (1p) and a smallish bar of Cadbury's cost 4d (1.5p), so the cost of a bag of chips and a bar of chocolate. Oh my pocket money in those days was half a crown - let's see if you can work that one out!

Remind me what is the pay on the gate now for kids?

Just now, Utah Owl said:

It's not just about the technical standard of the game though is it? It's about the entertainment value of the overall experience. It was better then, not just for overall entertainment but also because it was as cheap as chips!

Genuine entertainment for the masses, even as a kid you could easily afford to get in out of your pocket money several times over. When I started entry was 6d (2.5p) for nippers! To put that into perspective a bag of chips was 3d (1p) and a smallish bar of Cadbury's cost 4d (1.5p), so the cost of a bag of chips and a bar of chocolate. Oh my pocket money in those days was half a crown - let's see if you can work that one out!

Remind me what is the pay on the gate now for kids?

8 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

The Germany 5-0 wasn't a rubbish game.  I was there.  Also saw Germany beat Uruguay 4-0 at Hillsboro.  And went to the other two WC matches at Hillsboro.

W.Germany were easily the best side in the tournament.  They would have won it, I think, but for a wee wee tail-eyed Azerbaijani linesman.

The fans were brilliant.  Especially the Argentinians.  I stood with them in the rain on the Kop.  They were bouncing 40 years before us.

Maybe football then wasn't quite up to todays exacting standards but so what?  Watching that was better than playing with my yo-yo or sister's Hula Hoop.   Some of you lot don't know how lucky you are, with your fancy dan computers and mobile phones.  Not quite the same spending a night with a slide rule.

'60's euphamism?

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Flat Owl said:

GOALS             16'  1-0  Siegfried Held (assist - Uwe Seeler)
                       20'  2-0  Helmut Haller (assist - Wolfgang Overath)
                       40'  3-0  Franz Beckenbauer (assist - Uwe Seeler)
                       52'  4-0  Franz Beckenbauer (assist - Wolfgang Overath)
                       78'  5-0  Helmut Haller (penalty)

REFEREE           Hugh Phillips (Scotland)
     LINESMEN          John Adair (Northern Ireland)
                       Bertil Lööw (Sweden)

EXPULSIONS        -

ATTENDANCE        36,127

WEST GERMANY                        AGE   D.O.B.        CLUB
      1 GK Hans Tilkowski                 31   12 Jul 1935   Borussia Dortmund
      2 DF Horst-Dieter Höttges           22   10 Sep 1943   Werder Bremen
      3 DF Karl-Heinz Schnellinger        27   31 Mar 1939   AC Milan (ITA)
      5 DF Willi Schulz                   27   04 Oct 1938   Hamburger SV
      6 DF Wolfgang Weber                 22   26 Jun 1944   1.FC Cologne
      4 MD Franz Beckenbauer              20   11 Sep 1945   Bayern Munich
      7 MD Albert Brülls                  29   26 Mar 1937   Brescia (ITA)
      8 MD Helmut Haller                  26   21 Jul 1939   Bologna (ITA)
     12 MD Wolfgang Overath               22   29 Sep 1943   1.FC Cologne
      9 FW Uwe Seeler (c)                 29   05 Nov 1936   Hamburger SV
     10 FW Siegfried Held                 23   07 Aug 1942   Borussia Dortmund

Coach: Helmut Schön                  50   15 Sep 1915

SWITZERLAND                         AGE   D.O.B.        CLUB
      1 GK Karl Elsener                   31   13 Aug 1934   Lausanne-Sport
      7 DF Hansrüdi Fuhrer                28   24 Dec 1937   Young Boys Berne
      9 DF Andre Grobety                  33   22 Jun 1933   Lausanne-Sport
     18 DF Heinz Schneiter (c)            31   12 Apr 1935   Young Boys Berne
     20 DF Ely Tacchella                  30   25 May 1936   Lausanne-Sport
      4 MD Heinz Bäni                     29   18 Nov 1936   FC Zürich
      6 MD Richard Dürr                   27   01 Dec 1938   Lausanne-Sport
     10 FW Robert Hosp                    26   13 Dec 1939   Lausanne-Sport
     13 FW Fritz Künzli                   20   08 Jan 1946   FC Zürich
     15 FW Karl Odermatt                  23   17 Dec 1942   FC Basel
     17 FW Jean-Claude Schindelholz       25   11 Oct 1940   Servette Genf

Coach: Alfredo Foni (ITA)            55   20 Jan 1911

Looked more than 36.000 more like 50.000+

14 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

The Germany 5-0 wasn't a rubbish game.  I was there.  Also saw Germany beat Uruguay 4-0 at Hillsboro.  And went to the other two WC matches at Hillsboro.

W.Germany were easily the best side in the tournament.  They would have won it, I think, but for a wee wee tail-eyed Azerbaijani linesman.

The fans were brilliant.  Especially the Argentinians.  I stood with them in the rain on the Kop.  They were bouncing 40 years before us.

Maybe football then wasn't quite up to todays exacting standards but so what?  Watching that was better than playing with my yo-yo or sister's Hula Hoop.   Some of you lot don't know how lucky you are, with your fancy dan computers and mobile phones.  Not quite the same spending a night with a slide rule.

Are you originally from Barnsley?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

The players of the 60's, Best, Charlton, Law, Moore, Hurst, Astle, Cooke, Chivers etc, all could play in todays game, I cannot think of many of todays prima donnas who could have played then.

It's not really fair to compare eras, but on this occasion i'll bite....

Yes, the modern players would need to get used to bobbling pitches, heavy balls and centre halves chopping them in half. But watch that clip of that German team and aside from a few silky touches from Beckenbauer there's nothing on show that a bog standard Wednesday player from our League One days like Reda Johnson couldn't do better. And Johnson was bigger, faster and physically much stronger than any of those West Germans, so those 60s hard men would think twice about chopping him in half when he's allowed to do the same to them.

The game is so much faster, skillful and athletic now. So those old school players you mentioned might not have made it the modern day either. From his early 20s Best was a prodigious drinker, as was Moore. There is no way they could drink as much as they did and hope to be fit enough to play modern football, even Championship football. Would they be able to adapt to preparing like a professional rather than an amateur? I'm not so sure, Best was an alcoholic and couldn't give up drinking even to save his life. And if he drank like that and played a game at the modern pace, make no mistake he'd be knackered after 20 minutes and soon be more of a liability than an asset to his team.

Then you have centre forwards like Hurst and Astle who basically scored goals and didn't do a lot outside the penalty area. If they wanted to be a modern footballer they would have to learn to hold the ball up, link play and press the defenders much more effectively than they did in the 60s. Even wonderfully skilful goalscorers like Aguero are being told by modern managers they need to do more off the ball - so a big bruiser like Jeff Astle? I can't see him playing in a modern team.

As I said, it's not fair to compare eras. But it's a bit lazy to say all todays players are prima donnas when many of your typical 60s footballer couldn't even look after the basics like being fit enough to not smoke or keep trim enough not to have a beer belly while supposedly being a professional athlete.

15 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I went Crazy when Pak do Wick (whatever) put South Korea 3-0 up against Portugal at Goodison Park and the game had been ignored for live coverage !

South Korea! rocket man won't be happy 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, owler66 said:

South Korea! rocket man won't be happy 

I'd be very wary for a while if I were you Nev!

After that mistake you have just gone to the top of Pyongyang's most wanted list! Watch out for pretty young asian lasses wanting to give you a kiss!

1 hour ago, Emerson Thome said:

It's not really fair to compare eras, but on this occasion i'll bite....

Yes, the modern players would need to get used to bobbling pitches, heavy balls and centre halves chopping them in half. But watch that clip of that German team and aside from a few silky touches from Beckenbauer there's nothing on show that a bog standard Wednesday player from our League One days like Reda Johnson couldn't do better. And Johnson was bigger, faster and physically much stronger than any of those West Germans, so those 60s hard men would think twice about chopping him in half when he's allowed to do the same to them.

The game is so much faster, skillful and athletic now. So those old school players you mentioned might not have made it the modern day either. From his early 20s Best was a prodigious drinker, as was Moore. There is no way they could drink as much as they did and hope to be fit enough to play modern football, even Championship football. Would they be able to adapt to preparing like a professional rather than an amateur? I'm not so sure, Best was an alcoholic and couldn't give up drinking even to save his life. And if he drank like that and played a game at the modern pace, make no mistake he'd be knackered after 20 minutes and soon be more of a liability than an asset to his team.

Then you have centre forwards like Hurst and Astle who basically scored goals and didn't do a lot outside the penalty area. If they wanted to be a modern footballer they would have to learn to hold the ball up, link play and press the defenders much more effectively than they did in the 60s. Even wonderfully skilful goalscorers like Aguero are being told by modern managers they need to do more off the ball - so a big bruiser like Jeff Astle? I can't see him playing in a modern team.

As I said, it's not fair to compare eras. But it's a bit lazy to say all todays players are prima donnas when many of your typical 60s footballer couldn't even look after the basics like being fit enough to not smoke or keep trim enough not to have a beer belly while supposedly being a professional athlete.

Ah!, but with modern day techniques they would not be as 'Unfit' as you indicate, and do not forget, the best players of that era played 3 times a week, for club and country on, as you say, ploughed fields, so they must have been fit enough, but in a different way to todays players.

It is my belief that todays players are 'over trained, like race horses,leading to injuries to Knees, and Hamstrings and Groins.

32 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Ah!, but with modern day techniques they would not be as 'Unfit' as you indicate, and do not forget, the best players of that era played 3 times a week, for club and country on, as you say, ploughed fields, so they must have been fit enough, but in a different way to todays players.

It is my belief that todays players are 'over trained, like race horses,leading to injuries to Knees, and Hamstrings and Groins.

Correct. 

On 09/10/2017 at 19:19, asteener1867 said:

If todays players had to play under the same circumstances, I'm not so sure they would cope..Heavy pitches, heavy balls...extremely heavy tackles, diet, training etc.

Ive seen Gerry Young make tackles that would be a straight red today, but were deemed as fair enough in those days..Its all a bit relative..

On a desso pitch with no tackles or shoulder chgarging etc..Todays players would walk it..

Muck, bullets and knee high tackles on a mudheap...Not a chance...

Agree with most of that but the one thing the 60's players didn't do, which they could easily have done, is practice as much as today's players.......that's why, even if you could somehow even up all the other differences, today's players would still win and would be much more technically superior