Wednesday or England

I am seriously gobsmacked to read that some people would rather see England win the World Cup that Wednesday win the premier or major trophies.

It shouldn't be up for debate. Watching England makes me want to cry, awful brand of football and technically we are so far behind 15 or so other nations when playing International football. We don't play with the passion of other home nation countries or other countries on the continent - whether this is that some of our players have had too much too early, there is too much pressure or they generally can't be assed, I don't know! One thing for sure, it's not a pleasurable experience watching them.

On the other hand, if Wednesday managed to get promoted or won a major trophy, I think I would end up partying for a week.

It’s fashionable at the moment to say you don’t care care about England. I do and will always want them to win. Watching Scotland because bannan plays for them is well frankly rediculous . 

Having said that , Wednesday are 1 billion times more important to me, although the sideways passing similarities between the two teams is scary ! 

5 minutes ago, james o connor said:

It’s fashionable at the moment to say you don’t care care about England. I do and will always want them to win. Watching Scotland because bannan plays for them is well frankly rediculous . 

Having said that , Wednesday are 1 billion times more important to me, although the sideways passing similarities between the two teams is scary ! 

I think a lot of the not caring stems from the hierarchy and who they appoint.

14 hours ago, rob chester said:

England are dross I only watch them at a major championship mainly coz I watch virtually every game at a major championship unless ko times clash. Champions league football rules over international's

I agree England are very poor, and the level of football at Champions League is much better.

But I would still much prefer to watch England in a tournament (or even the qualifiers) than another club whom I have absolutely no feelings for in the Champions League. 

This will only ever change in the very unlikely event of Wednesday getting to the Champions League. 

Can't believe you would rather watch other teams play great football, than support your country even when they aren't very good. 

But each to their own I suppose.

Wednesday first, England clear second, like to see Rangers win, rest nowhere to me.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see England win a major tournament  (again unlikely) and I would party for weeks and the feel good effect on the Country would be incredible but if it was a choice Wednesday or England it would have to be Wednesday.

When I was a kid an England cap or call up was much more prestigious than it is today. International football was regarded as the pinnacle of a players career.

The matches were similarly much more important to fans and were additionally some of the very few games (the FA Cup Final being another) which were televised live.

The 1966 World Cup also helped.

That was then and this is now. England lost the “club v country” argument a long time ago. Caps and call ups are of relatively less career value. I consider myself a reasonably close follower of the game but England picked player from Spurs last week I had literally never heard of.

Wednesday first every time.

Always Wednesday.

I used to love watching England too, back in the early-mid '90s, but IMO the teams have massively lacked character since the end of the Butcher/Gazza/Pearce/Seaman etc era. It just seems like a faceless parade of excessively groomed u23 millionaires now, and I find it incredibly tedious to sit through without a cartoonish cast of battle-hardened heroes, flawed geniuses and showboating clowns to cheer for.

Nobody playing for the national team even seems to enjoy it that much these days - as a viewer, it used to feel like they were all having a surreal lads' holiday and inviting us along for the ride; now our increasingly brief sojourns abroad tend to look more like a grim Channel 5 documentary set on a week-long bootcamp for sullen teenagers.

The most puzzling thing of this thread is English people not being interested in England winning it's ridiculous.

I want England to win at everything and I'd expect a Spaniard,  Pakistani,  Scot, American etc to all feel the same about there country it's not even something that should be up for debate.

That said I'd edge Wednesday winning prem over England winning the World Cup.

On 10/5/2017 at 21:40, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Wednesday are approximately 1,000,000 times more important to me than England.

I still want England to do well, though.

:duntmatter:

I only watch England if nothing else is on telly, never seen em live. Though i do get behind em in world cups and stuff, merely for patriotic reasons and to annoy that treacherous nobhead sneering condescending woman who hates English flags and stuff.

On 05/10/2017 at 21:38, Reallondonowl said:

When it comes to where your heart is, which one one would you chose above the other. I remember when we were really bad that I would try to soothe the pain by watching England. Now it seems that they play as many sideways passes as we do on a bad day. And yes Kane has scored at this point so we are going through. Thoughts ?

Wednesday.No Two ways about it.Care more about the Yorkshire Cricket Team than that of the England Football Team. tbh :tango:

The French hate us.

The Germans laugh at us.

The Italians want to teargas us.

The Dutch feel sorry for us.

The Argentinians want to cheat us.

The Brazilians are embarrassed for us.

The Yanks think were crazy.

The Russians set there special forces on us. 

The Icelandic's paid us back for the Cod war. 

The Spanish put up with us,only for the sake of their fishing rights.

WHAT DO YOU THINK!

Oh them Russians thou.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Uncle Mort AMB said:

The French hate us.

The Germans laugh at us.

The Italians want to teargas us.

The Dutch feel sorry for us.

The Argentinians want to cheat us.

The Brazilians are embarrassed for us.

The Yanks think were crazy.

The Russians set there special forces on us. 

The Icelandic's paid us back for the Cod war. 

The Spanish put up with us,only for the sake of their fishing rights.

WHAT DO YOU THINK!

Oh them Russians thou.

Why are you so obsessed with fish?

I would be very surprised if many who are season ticket holders at Hillsborough would not choose a Wednesday win over an England if they had to. Took time, effort and money to go and watch Wednesday when 99% will only watch England on TV if at all.

I know a few Wedesdayites who regularly go to watch England both home and abroad. Never got into discussion over which they would choose if they had to. I guess would depend on the game and who was asking.