Wednesday or England

4 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I'm a mixed race Muslim from attercliffe.

Part Albanian part manor.

Would be good to get a netball team together with like-minded folks.

Sky might be interested in Broadcasting this

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST

16 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Just trying to work out why 'any Englishman that says he's not bothered about his national team should be ashamed of himself' when plenty of Englishmen couldn't give a 'flying flip' about football, just like you couldn't give a 'flying flip' about certain other sports?

My neighbour probably didn't even he know there was a game of football on last night, and there's no way he could name a single member of last night's England squad. Knowing him, he was having a whale of a time drinking red wine and falling asleep listening to jazz. I'm not sure why he'd be ashamed of that, though?

:duntmatter:

this isnt about people that dont follow sport, its about football fans that dont want their national team to win. But you know that lol

Wednesday by a long, long way.

Still want England to win but Wednesday are a part of me. England are just someone to get disappointed in every couple of years.

To illustrate: I was thinking of taking the boy to an England friendly in the spring: decided to take him to Milwall away in half term instead.

Edited by Ever the pessimist

I used to hate these debates (eh Dot :laugh:)

Still do to a degree because it isn't and will never be either/or

But my perspective...

As a kid my aching ambition was to captain England at football

My 2nd football ambition was to see England win the world cup

My 3rd ambition was to be as good and as loved as Mick Prendergast...

Those first 2 ambitions came way above anything else in football - and even after the 1st and 3rd ambitions disappeared into the ether of history the 2nd one remained for many, many years

Until very recently

I was as big an England fan as most on here are Wednesday fans - to give you a perspective

But it has become so anodine, so peurile and so damn dispiriting that i even forgot England were playing the other night - so what if we qualify against the might of some recently feuding land mass the size of a Cotswold village with an even lesser populace

The way our game has been administered and been allowed to fester with such inanely incompetent governance we will get handed our asses the first time we meet any semi respectable opposition

It is so so so heartbreaking

The most expensive and extensive football development system in the world backed by the richest (by far) association is an absolute shambolic laughing stock

Players with an huge sense of entitlement who play for the car, the WAG, the washbag, the luggage and headphones - but look as interested in beating international opposition as i am in beating Maud in the world Arran jumper knitting competition

The absolute rage i felt watching Hodgson blunder his way in the recent Euro's - it was horrific - yet £3m per year...and it was playground stuff - i genuinely mean it when i say nobody on this forum could have done worse than that clown

And now Southgate...

Well, Scotland away finished me

F*ck this bunch of imposters and charlatans ruining our game

Well done FA - you've turned one of the biggest England fans, the bright eyed boy who lived to captain England, the guy who for 40+ years harboured a lifes ambition of seeing England win the world cup - into somebody who pretty much detests everything to do with the entire set up

You absolute c*nts

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, lukestheman82 said:

I couldn't really give a fuxk what you do or don't think of English football..

Typical Owlstalk Dressing Room, anti English apologist shithouse.

lol 

Christ on a bike. 

7 minutes ago, SiJ said:

@scram - so that's a vote for Wednesday then? 

TBH i've never felt a conflict - not at all

I loved both and if/when either played they very rarely clashed and i want both to win

There is something primal in me that wants England to still win - but by far my overriding feeling is one of FA/England doing things right all the way through from grass roots, to academy to league structure to international team

I'm old and wise(ish) enough now to know it won't happen

The definition of madness and all that...

On 05/10/2017 at 21:38, Reallondonowl said:

When it comes to where your heart is, which one one would you chose above the other. I remember when we were really bad that I would try to soothe the pain by watching England. Now it seems that they play as many sideways passes as we do on a bad day. And yes Kane has scored at this point so we are going through. Thoughts ?

Wednesday any day of week but Am I wrong to say I watched Scotland instead last night they are more entertaining and I could watch good old Barry Bannan :D

Edited by Lomas613

Wednesday all the time for me. I’ve done England games in Portugal and Germany in 2004 & 2006 and that was enough for me. 

Being based in Australia I’ll be at the last ashes test for the lot and will have a Wednesday top on each day. Seriously couldn’t get into watching or even going to watch England now.  

I was back home last summer whilst the euros was on and watching with mates confirmed that our national footballers don’t really care about respresenting their country. The spirit of the 1990 World Cup will never be replicated unfortunately. Sign of the times. 

WAWAW

An England supporting mate of mine once said, amazed, that he thought I'd rather see Wednesday win the league than England win the World Cup.  I told him I'd rather see Wednesday avoid relegation than see England win the World Cup.  

• Haha 2