Wednesday or England

1 hour ago, Lambretta said:

Stopped watching England after the horrendous 2010 campaign in South Africa, I've probably watched less than a handful of games since then. Hugely overpaid players putting in a 2nd rate performance.

if I'm honest I have very little interest in the premier league all I care about is what's happening in the division Wednesday are in, if that's the championship the premiership or back when it was league 1 then that's the completion I am interested in, everything else is a distraction.

This too!  Wednesday all the way....  I also never watch the football league show or whatever its called if we lose either!

Wednesday for me and England Rugby Union. Can't be bothered at all with England Football, fell out of love with it long ago. The players are all pampered and over-rated and the managers are a constant stream of yes men. Deli Alli for example, may be a great player but I can't stand his permanent mardy face and crap attitude, what a tool. I watched most of Scotland match yesterday just to see Bazza.

In principle the advantage of international football is that it's not locked down by the distribution of wealth, in the way that top level club football is.  I dislike the premier league, and the champions league yet more.  (I know our aim is to get to the premier league and at some point I expect we'll do so, but it won't be much fun when we do).

In practice because international football really is a sideshow these days, it turns out to be hard to get excited about it.  The top international sides are weaker than the elite club sides, and players care less, for understandable reasons.

The particular difficulty with England is the fans.  Last time I went to an England game was 2003 against Turkey, in Sunderland.  Booing of the Turkish national anthem, and really really offensive chanting; and not from some tiny claque but a substantial number of people there.  Real scum.  Contrast with rugby internationals where fans mingle and know how to behave.  When you see people like that supporting any side, you want that side to do badly.

FInd myself not particularly caring one way or the other.  I hadn't realised England were playing last night until I looked at the news this morning.

20 hours ago, Reallondonowl said:

When it comes to where your heart is, which one one would you chose above the other. I remember when we were really bad that I would try to soothe the pain by watching England. Now it seems that they play as many sideways passes as we do on a bad day. And yes Kane has scored at this point so we are going through. Thoughts ?

Wednesday every day of the week. England just disrupt the fixture list. 

9 hours ago, TommyCraig said:

Wednesday for me and England Rugby Union. Can't be bothered at all with England Football, fell out of love with it long ago. The players are all pampered and over-rated and the managers are a constant stream of yes men. Deli Alli for example, may be a great player but I can't stand his permanent mardy face and crap attitude, what a tool. I watched most of Scotland match yesterday just to see Bazza.

I am a bit like you Tommy with this , Wednesday come first by a mile, not too bothered about England FC, although if any Owls players were in the team I think that would change.

My other sporting love is cricket, I support Yorkshire and England with enthusiasm. Even love  Joe Root although he is a blade.

12 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I now feel a deep sense of shame, having shown no interest in the fate of our national team in many a sport over the years.

As an upstanding and committed Englishman, perhaps you'd be so kind as to provide a potted history of our national teams' endeavours in a few sports for us shameful lot?

Let's start with basketball, curling and bandy, shall we?

who mentioned knowing the bloody history of basketball or any other minor sport, but if england were playing another nation at it, id support them in the same way id support britain in the olympics doing events that i dont give a flying flip about

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 1963owl said:

who mentioned knowing the bloody history of basketball or any other minor sport, but if england were playing another nation at it, id support them in the same way id support britain in the olympics doing events that i dont give a flying flip about

Just trying to work out why 'any Englishman that says he's not bothered about his national team should be ashamed of himself' when plenty of Englishmen couldn't give a 'flying flip' about football, just like you couldn't give a 'flying flip' about certain other sports?

My neighbour probably didn't even he know there was a game of football on last night, and there's no way he could name a single member of last night's England squad. Knowing him, he was having a whale of a time drinking red wine and falling asleep listening to jazz. I'm not sure why he'd be ashamed of that, though?

:duntmatter: