Wednesday or England

8 hours ago, 1963owl said:

Any englishman that says hes not bothered about his national team should be ashamed of himself

I now feel a deep sense of shame, having shown no interest in the fate of our national team in many a sport over the years.

As an upstanding and committed Englishman, perhaps you'd be so kind as to provide a potted history of our national teams' endeavours in a few sports for us shameful lot?

Let's start with basketball, curling and bandy, shall we?

Obviously Wednesday on a daily basis....................but as poor as last night was i just find it more than a bit sad when people say they dont care about the national team...................we seem to be the one international team that its ok to insult and get away with.

If a Welsh player for example says he thinks they will do well in the World Cup it is seen as a rallying cry and showing pride and confidence, if an English player says it he is being "arrogant".......the age old stick that the celts in particular like to beat us with.

So yeah, i like to see England do well and always support them..................as difficult as that is at the moment.

10 hours ago, Reallondonowl said:

When it comes to where your heart is, which one one would you chose above the other. I remember when we were really bad that I would try to soothe the pain by watching England. Now it seems that they play as many sideways passes as we do on a bad day. And yes Kane has scored at this point so we are going through. Thoughts ?

Always Wednesday over England. Want both to do well, but when it comes down to it,it's Wednesday every time. A bit like your kids over your mates. No contest really.

There just aren't the stars and flare players in the England team like there were a few years ago,such as at Italia '90. It was a joy to watch the likes of Lineker, Waddle,Gascoigne etc but who are today's alternatives? Kane, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Jordan Henderson? There's no excitement or appeal any more with England.

Edited by Tudders

Used to love England but have absolutely Zero interest in any of their games, perhaps it's an age thing, but I look through the current squad and compare it to players from 20 odd years ago (when we still weren't anything special) and it depresses the life out of me.  The FA are rotten to the core and Southgate is hardly an inspirational figure, Aidy Boothroyd as England U21 Manager?  Come on, is that they best we can offer.  We might as well get John (long ball) Beck involved.... Oh hang on.

It might be different if we had a player or two in the Squad/Team but that won't happen if if/when we get promoted.  They'll always look to pick mediocre London based players, he might be a good prospect but Harry Winks in the full England Squad?  Not having that. 

I wouldn't outright support them, but I do find myself showing more interest in Scotland games at the moment with Bannan & Fletcher in the squad. 

For me it's Wednesday all the way.  

Stopped watching England after the horrendous 2010 campaign in South Africa, I've probably watched less than a handful of games since then. Hugely overpaid players putting in a 2nd rate performance.

if I'm honest I have very little interest in the premier league all I care about is what's happening in the division Wednesday are in, if that's the championship the premiership or back when it was league 1 then that's the completion I am interested in, everything else is a distraction.

England's current squad is probably the worst in my life time (30 years+).

Oxlaide-chamberlain in the starting line up? As soon as Lingard replaced him England actually had some attacking threat but before then it was just painful.

Kane & Ali are probably the only world class players England have these days. I can't think of many others who would be bought by the Madrids and Barcelona's

I do still want England to do well, but with this current squad there's no chance of that happening so my wish would be used wanting Wednesday to be promoted and to return to the top 6 of English football where they belong 

14 minutes ago, torryowl said:

99.9% will always put there club 1st but come world cup time the country will be awash with car's flying the st George cross and fecking bunting everywhere so some obviously care ....

They used to be about 10 years ago when a major tournament was on. Seemed a good atmosphere with people planning family BBQ around the England games and pubs having big screens and special events.

The street where my Mum lives every house seemed to have a an English flag flaying in a window.

When the Euros were on last year saw a lot less interest. Was in a pub in Durham for a game last year in the Euros and not that many people were bothered. County has fell out of love with the National side a bit.

Think down to the side not being very good and the amount of money even average England players are on, people find it hard to relate to them and think of them as 'our boys'.

8 hours ago, cowl said:

I would find it very easy to choose Wednesday every time.

Even so, I'm always up for the international tournaments, and I even enjoy them once we've been unceremoniously dumped out and I can concentrate on the football.

I can't relate to those that would actually choose England over Wednesday though. I suppose it's one of those strange excessively zealous patriotism things that some people seem to be able to talk themselves into.

For me, it's just too remote though. Club football's pretty much a daily commitment, whereas international football's far too fleeting for it to be anything more than just a distraction.

Thats just saved me typing anything longer out!